No More XBOX "Do This"..."Hey Cortana...Do This"

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I surprisingly received my preview last night. Did get much time to mess around with it but Cortana has taken over the Voice Commands and while a little slower to respond, seems to hear me better when issuing commands like to change a channel or volume up or down. And the OS seems faster.

Any thoughts from others who may have received it?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm annoyed as heck about it. I don't use Cortana on my phone because I hate how it works. That, and in trying it over the past few days (to see what all the fuss is about), Cortana on my phone is incredibly unreliable. It's bad at answering sports/weather/location questions, telling me each time I ask a question like "where is the MLB Draft held?" that I have to give it permission to save and study my speech patterns. Not OK with that.

Now, we've got that on XB1. I never wanted it. I hate its presence. I want the old version back. When I went to try it, Cortana said it needs permission to collect my speech on Xbox, not surprising when the phone version says the same thing. I told it off and won't be using speech-based stuff on my console for the foreseeable future. Besides, Cortana is incredibly sluggish. I can type in "Cubs schedule" on the Bing site from my phone, and I'll have what I want in a fraction of a second. If I use Cortana, she'll spin about and take 10 seconds.

There's no reason for my to want my searches to get 5-10 times longer, while giving up personal privacy (especially when the console is always listening). Throw in how they decided to keep a single command for Cortana on all devices (meaning you run the risk of activating the phone and Kinect at the same time), and it's just about the worst idea possible. This is the kind of stuff that had me ready to go from MS to Sony in 2013. They backed off of it, and I got an XB1. Now, it's the spybot junk that has me on W10M in the first place (my distrust of Google and its data mining). I've honestly gotta decide if I'll ever get a MS console again now.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
If I use Cortana, she'll spin about and take 10 seconds.

There's no reason for my to want my searches to get 5-10 times longer,

Yes...it is slower for sure ...but so far, I think the Kinect hears me better with this update...

And digressing...Ah Kinect...how I STILL love thee...and wish it would still live on.

Spart 1855

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Is there a list of current Cortana Xbox commands? Just wondering, as I got the update (forgot it was coming out) and kept trying to say Xbox on....

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly you can disable "hey, Cortana" in the latest XB1 preview release... Although it's not clear if disabling her defaults back to the original "Xbox ..." commands. Also, I've heard the speed of voice recognition has improved in the latest build.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans