11-16-2016 08:19 AM
27 12
tools
    Well, me and the family talked it over at length and we all decided to just quit cable and live TV all together. Seems like we were always complaining that nothing was on anyways. So we watch everything on demand, use Plex, or just catch whatever is live at the time.
    My wife and I had the same conversation. There are only a few shows we watch on TV. Mostly, we binge watch things on Netflix or watch movies. So we buy the season passes to The Walking Dead and Mr. Robot and get HBO Now while Game of Thrones is on. That's way cheaper than a monthly cable bill.

The strange thing is my wife is a real-time captioner and her company is going to make her work from home, which means we will have to get cable just for the handful of channels she captions. I might even set up my WMC PC with CableCARD since I will have cable in the house. I don't want it, but her company is paying for it.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    07-18-2016 04:32 PM
    Tablo just introduced an app for Xbox. They previously had apps for Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, etc., but the Xbox app is new. This might be my ticket to getting rid of the TiVo boxes I have and their expensive subscription service. The Tablo box itself is cheaper than TiVo and they have a lifetime subscription that's less than 1/3 the cost of TiVo's lifetime service. The cost of the Tablo box, a 2TB HDD, and the lifetime would pay for itself in a little over a year (based on the current cost of my TiVo subscription). And the cost of all that is still cheaper than the cost of TiVo's lifetime subscription. I could then watch live or recorded TV on any device I have in my home and stream live TV or recordings on any of my registered devices even when not on my home network.

Thoughts on Tablo?
    11-16-2016 08:19 AM
27 12