So, no DVR for Xbox One. What other options are there?

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering what options those of you out there who were waiting for the Xbox One DVR to be released are going to do now? I had bought my system and tuner mostly because I figured this would somewhat replace my WMC that has been abandoned. i figured it would be great to have all my entertainment and gaming in one box. I am looking for a whole home DVR for OTA tv.

What options are you pursuing?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm staying on Win 7 with WMC, over the air with two tuners and a big hard drive and my 360

No matter how much Microsoft discontinued Windows Media Center. The product for a DVR still works perfect. If you watch over at thegreenbutton.tv there are still 3rd party options to get streaming services working. I even have YouTube working in WMC that is as good as the ones built into modern TVs, Easy to use and it uses the WMC remote.

It still just works and works good.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
No matter how much Microsoft discontinued Windows Media Center. The product for a DVR still works perfect. If you watch over at thegreenbutton.tv there are still 3rd party options to get streaming services working. I even have YouTube working in WMC that is as good as the ones built into modern TVs, Easy to use and it uses the WMC remote.

It still just works and works good.

I have an old XP, that had MC on it, I upgraded it to Vista when it was introduced; didn't use this computer for a 1 or 2, then because I have program from China that runs best on XP, I did a clean install back to XP and only use it for that one program; would I be to reactive the MC? would I need to reinstall it?

I too, was looking forward to the DVR on XBOX; fact is that is the only reason i bought it.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
We have had a whole house Windows Media Center set up using a desktop computer running Windows 7 Pro and Xbox 360s as extenders on every TV. Windows Media Center is built into Windows 7 Pro. We would never think of changing this. It works. We use Ceton XfiniTV cable card tuners. Over the air TV, Live cable TV, DVR TV, Movies, Photos, and Music available throughout the house all from the central Windows Media Center. There really isn't anything else that does all this.

Incidentally, I just set up my 4th Windows Media Center installation on a new Windows 7 box.

I was hoping the Xbox One S might team up with Ceton or SilicanDust to add networked multiple tuners, DVR, with over the air AND cable TV features to the One S. "Dream Big" for features that have been available in Windows Media Center for many many years.

Windows Media Center exists and provides the features now.

Best Wishes

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
We have had a whole house Windows Media Center set up using a desktop computer running Windows 7 Pro and Xbox 360s as extenders on every TV. Windows Media Center is built into Windows 7 Pro. We would never think of changing this. It works.

Incidentally, I just set up my 4th Windows Media Center installation on a new Windows 7 box.

Best Wishes

Kevin, can you give a simple anatomy of this layout, thanks

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Kevin, can you give a simple anatomy of this layout, thanks

I would be happy to, but can't right now.
There are many setups possible. See www.thegreenbutton.org. The short simplest version is put Windows 7 Pro on a reasonably capable computer and add a tuner from SiliconDust or Ceton for over the air and/or cable card TV. (I think there may be inexpensive USB over the air tuners?) Connect it to your TV. Run Media Center set up. There are many YouTube videos to walk you through the setup. I always use the Ceton one for my Ceton tuners. It's easy.
More later.
Best Wishes

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I would be happy to, but can't right now.
There are many setups possible. See The Green Button. The short simplest version is put Windows 7 Pro on a reasonably capable computer and add a tuner from SiliconDust or Ceton for over the air and/or cable card TV. (I think there may be inexpensive USB over the air tuners?) Connect it to your TV.
More later.
Best Wishes

Thank you, I appreciate the info. Cheers!

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
We have had a whole house Windows Media Center set up using a desktop computer running Windows 7 Pro and Xbox 360s as extenders on every TV. Windows Media Center is built into Windows 7 Pro. We would never think of changing this. It works. We use Ceton XfiniTV cable card tuners. Over the air TV, Live cable TV, DVR TV, Movies, Photos, and Music available throughout the house all from the central Windows Media Center. There really isn't anything else that does all this.

I was hoping the Xbox One S might team up with Ceton or SilicanDust to add networked multiple tuners, DVR, with over the air AND cable TV features to the One S. "Dream Big" for features that have been available in Windows Media Center for many many years.

Windows Media Center exists and provides the features now.

Best Wishes

Ya, I think I'm going to do that too. Go back to a win 7 box just for tv.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have an old XP, that had MC on it, I upgraded it to Vista when it was introduced; didn't use this computer for a 1 or 2, then because I have program from China that runs best on XP, I did a clean install back to XP and only use it for that one program; would I be to reactive the MC? would I need to reinstall it?

I too, was looking forward to the DVR on XBOX; fact is that is the only reason i bought it.

Upgrade your PC to Windows 7, Use Windows Media Center that comes with Win 7 (Or if you have 8.1 with WMC, it's the same version). If you have 7 running, you can use Xbox 360's as extenders and with this, you can set a 360 to automatically boot into WMC, so you can use it as a dedicated Extender.

Here's the other PERK, you can use a older machine if you wanted to. When WMC was created, it was designed around signle core CPUS and the very early dual core models. SO if you have a 3-5 year old PC, it could make a perfect WMC machine. Maybe a Video card upgrade, or some newer hardware if your trying to go 4K, etc.

I've had analog tuners, QAM and cablecard tuners. At one point I had 12 tuners going with 4 extenders in my home but, I have setup larger systems with my old business I ran making custom ones (did you know WMC supports with a addon package 32 tuners ? Crazy Huh ?)

Spend some time on thegreenbutton.tv lots of info there and lots of little 3rd party apps and hacks.

Let me know if you have any questions, I was a WMC MVP from 2010 to 2012 and even certified in it from Microsoft.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Upgrade your PC to Windows 7, Use Windows Media Center that comes with Win 7 (Or if you have 8.1 with WMC, it's the same version). If you have 7 running, you can use Xbox 360's as extenders and with this, you can set a 360 to automatically boot into WMC, so you can use it as a dedicated Extender.

Here's the other PERK, you can use a older machine if you wanted to. When WMC was created, it was designed around signle core CPUS and the very early dual core models. SO if you have a 3-5 year old PC, it could make a perfect WMC machine. Maybe a Video card upgrade, or some newer hardware if your trying to go 4K, etc.

Spend some time on thegreenbutton.tv lots of info there and lots of little 3rd party apps and hacks.

Let me know if you have any questions, I was a WMC MVP from 2010 to 2012 and even certified in it from Microsoft.

David, thank yo for your reply.

So, back when, I bought a HP Pavilion Media Center TV PC (XP installed, Vista Ready). I upgraded it to Vista. After a while it got SLOWER than I could bear, so I started using it for emails only, then not at all; putting it in a corner under the desk. Recently I discovered that I has unable to use a newer machine (W7, and above) to successfully write a program to a SD, and then have that SD card work in a controller I had installed. So I resurrected the Vista Machine for the sole purpose of writing to the SD Card, but again, the Vista machine was too slow (15+ mins.) to boot, and each command was excruciatingly slow. Because it had HP installed XP OS, that I could not longer get from HP, I purchased from another source (HP referral) per the serial number of my machine, and did a clean install.

I would think that WMC is again installed on the XP?

Also, I have a Xbox One?

What do you think? will the above conf work? No HDMI out, on the PC; maybe DVI/composite only.

Thanks again.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
David, thank yo for your reply.

So, back when, I bought a HP Pavilion Media Center TV PC (XP installed, Vista Ready). I upgraded it to Vista. After a while it got SLOWER than I could bear, so I started using it for emails only, then not at all; putting it in a corner under the desk. Recently I discovered that I has unable to use a newer machine (W7, and above) to successfully write a program to a SD, and then have that SD card work in a controller I had installed. So I resurrected the Vista Machine for the sole purpose of writing to the SD Card, but again, the Vista machine was too slow (15+ mins.) to boot, and each command was excruciatingly slow. Because it had HP installed XP OS, that I could not longer get from HP, I purchased from another source (HP referral) per the serial number of my machine, and did a clean install.

I would think that WMC is again installed on the XP?

Also, I have a Xbox One?

What do you think? will the above conf work? No HDMI out, on the PC; maybe DVI/composite only.

Thanks again.

My general thoughts on PCs today. If it was designed for XP, it probably is too slow, If it was a Window Vista machine (came with Vista, not a upgrade path), it's a maybe thing.

XP MCE is too old now, I have heard it still works but forget using a Xbox 360 as an extender. Let me know the model number, so I can get some specs to see if I think it would be worthy. Some machines are too old but, there are some maybe factors.

If you WANT cablecard support, Windows Vista With the "TV Pack" will support it but, Windows 7 is where you should be (lots of big fixes and UI changes over the Vista version)

If you want the best what Windows Media Center has to offer, or at least did, you WANT the Windows 7 or 8.1 version, Even the vista version is so behind.

The Xbox one does not or will not work as a Media Center Extender no matter what version of Windows you have. Only the Xbox 360 does (you can get used ones cheap now)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
My general thoughts

David, thank you kindly.

I have a couple of Windows 7 machines that I have upgraded to 8.0 > 8.1 > 10. One of which (an ultra book), I never use, I guess I could put it back to 7, or so...but it would probably be worth looking at another route entirely. It is just a dame shame that MS decided to forgo the DVR.

Thanks again, for all your help....I really do appreciate it.

Cheers!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just PM me if you get stuck or if you have more questions. If I get time, I will answer all your Q's... I am a very passionate Media Center user.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I never thought the Xbox One DVR was going to work well at all. They were going to implement it with a single tuner, which shows they had no idea what they were doing. But putting the DVR on hold, and now canceling Xbox Fitness, tells me something about the direction the Xbox is going. The Kinect is dead. They're putting less emphasis on non-game functionality. They're coming out with new versions that are more spec-based. They're trying to compete with Playstation and Steam, not Roku or Tivo.

This is good news for the gamers. However, since I'm an older user who primarily used my Xbox One for Netflix and Hulu, I'm going to sell mine. I will end up with a Tivo Roamio as the only device connected to my TV.

I used to have a WMC HTPC (it's in the garage) and I currently have a PC running MediaPortal. But both of those are dying technology. I'm going with the Tivo, because it just works and it integrates the streaming services I use most.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I never thought the Xbox One DVR was going to work well at all. They were going to implement it with a single tuner, which shows they had no idea what they were doing. But putting the DVR on hold, and now canceling Xbox Fitness, tells me something about the direction the Xbox is going. The Kinect is dead. They're putting less emphasis on non-game functionality. They're coming out with new versions that are more spec-based. They're trying to compete with Playstation and Steam, not Roku or Tivo.

This is good news for the gamers. However, since I'm an older user who primarily used my Xbox One for Netflix and Hulu, I'm going to sell mine. I will end up with a Tivo Roamio as the only device connected to my TV.

I used to have a WMC HTPC (it's in the garage) and I currently have a PC running MediaPortal. But both of those are dying technology. I'm going with the Tivo, because it just works and it integrates the streaming services I use most.

I think I read recently that Tivo was sold and the new owner is thinking of eliminating the sales of hardware, focusing on only the software? Leaving the hardware to others to build? Can anyone clarify?

A happy Windows Media Center "whole house" family. All our media, including cable TV, plus every streaming source, on TVs throughout the house.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
A happy Windows Media Center "whole house" family. All our media, including cable TV, plus every streaming source, on TVs throughout the house.

Same here, using from when XP Media Center was OEM only, I'm playing with the new Windows 10 plugin... working towards the wholy grail of Windows Media Center....softsled

I heard Tivo was sold (or was selling) but, have not heard about them stop making hardware.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think I read recently that Tivo was sold and the new owner is thinking of eliminating the sales of hardware, focusing on only the software? Leaving the hardware to others to build? Can anyone clarify?

I think I read not so recently that Windows Media Center was discontinued and will receive no more support.

Tivo was bought by Rovi, who make the guide data. They were two companies (now one) in a dying field. Netflix showed that streaming is the future, and HBO is providing a bridge between scheduled broadcast and on-demand streaming. As more and more content switches to on-demand streaming, the DVR will march toward its inevitable death. That's why Microsoft dumped Windows Media Center.

I'm just using the Tivo as a stop-gap while the major networks still broadcast over the air for free. It's the most painless way to do it. I have been having problems with missing guide data recently. I know the Tivo won't have that problem. Is WMC stable now after switching guide data providers?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think I read not so recently that Windows Media Center was discontinued and will receive no more support.

Media Center was discontinued a while ago, your right and not recently by any means. BUT, Microsoft plans on supporting it with the OS, So this includes Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, So 2020 and 2023.

This means, NO software changes or updates but, they changed the guide data from Zap2It to ROVI, the same provider they use for the Xbox one's One guide. I would put money down they are in the same format and when creating the Xbox One's One guide, they used Media Center's guide as a starting point and just contuned it. The only data stream from Microsoft left in Windows Media Center is the guide and setup data (part used on Xbox one as well).

Odds are that the guide data will keep going till 7 or 8.1 is killed, or even the Xbox one's one guide feature is killed off (could be past 2023)..

No matter how you look at it, Windows Media Center is STILL rated by most sites who review HTPC based software as one of the best DVR PC software available. It works well, it's VERY easy to use and with simple registry settings could be exended beyond what you think.

It's 100% scaleable, You could have 1 TV, or 6 tvs with the same experiance (expandable beyond that with addon software), You could have 1tb of recording storage, or 100tb, you could store THOUSANDS of movies that are fully indexable. If you could think about it, a LOT of it can be done. And there is API for WMC, 100's of addon packages that can PLUG right in (older plugins, and hacks to get things working). Base Product could get 12+ tuners(4 of each type, or 3rd party package), and even expandable to 32 tuners (addon software).

Think about how you want TV for WATCHING or RECORDING TV, it's possable a lot of it could be done with WMC as your base product and for the most part, you would very happy with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)