Will Scorpio Lure PC Gamers?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Console gamers, welcome to the world of PC quality gaming! From my understanding, Project Scorpio will basically be a system consisting of components on par with a high end gaming PC. Essentially, it'll be a gaming PC stuffed into an "Xbox style" case that boots into an Xbox interface. Console diehards will finally have the horsepower to achieve gaming PC quality with their games. Project Scorpio promises to run games at 4K resolution @60FPS.

PC gamers, welcome to the world of console gaming! For PC gamers such as myself, a console will never replace a real gaming PC, even if it does have components on par with the latest hardware (GPU, CPU, etc). For those that must have both though, Project Scorpio may be the first console that is worthy of your purchase. Nothing wrong with having your high end gaming PC in the bedroom/office, and having a high end gaming console in the living room as well!

The big question for me, is will I be able to use a keyboard and mouse with my Project Scorpio games?

I feel like the PS (Project Scorpio) is aimed at people that want the high end gaming PC quality experience, but don't want to have to worry about spec'ing out, and building a PC. They just want to purchase the unit, and plug and play. And that's fine for a lot of people..

For me, what I do, and since my gaming PC's case has big heavy duty caster (wheels) on it, is just wheel it out to the living room when I feel the need to play my games, or consume my Blu Ray media on the big screen. Bam! Instant "Project Scorpio" experience! ;D (with keyboard and mouse support I might add!) Of course my gaming PC boots into the Windows 10 desktop interface... but from what I understand (and I don't really know because I don't keep up with the consoles - the last console I owned was a Super Nintendo like 20 years ago lol), but from what I understand, the Windows 10 interface is not far off from the Xbox interface.

So, what are everyone's thoughts? Are you a PC gamer that's going to stick with the PC like me? A console gamer, that's looking forward to upgrading your Xbox One? Or someone with tons of money burning a hole in your pocket that just has to have both?

Who's planning on getting one?

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Project Scorpio - who's interested?

Console gamers, welcome to the world of PC quality gaming! From my understanding, Project Scorpio will basically be a system consisting of components on par with a high end gaming PC. Essentially, it'll be a gaming PC stuffed into an "Xbox style" case that boots into an Xbox interface. Console diehards will finally have the horsepower to achieve gaming PC quality with their games. Project Scorpio promises to run games at 4K resolution @60FPS.

This is why I don't see the scorpio as being a huge seller. They have stated in interviews that scorpio will essentially be for the hard core people. However..... if it is esentially a pc in an xbox case and with play anywhere all first party games (and probably many 3rd) why would a hard core player buy a scorpio over a gaming pc. Especially considering this will most likely be an expensive system and most people who are all about high quality visuals and 4k already have high end pc's.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
One quick answer, NO. By the time this is released, The tech in it is already 6-8 months old, if not older. Modern PC gamers upgrade often (can be an very expensive hobby), so by the time this is released, it will be outdated compared to PC components.

Just like the 360 was, just like the Xbox one was, just like the PS4 was, they are all designed 6 months to a year before release and that is forever in the PC world.

When you have a closed box like the Xbox, You cant upgrade parts, you cant dump in a new video card... Games graphics get better and better and Nothing can beat a good speced PC for graphics levels.

Connect a Modern PC to a 4K TV...Use a Xbox one or 360 controller to play, and You could have far better experience on games than you can even on the Xbox one...

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
One quick answer, NO. By the time this is released, The tech in it is already 6-8 months old, if not older. Modern PC gamers upgrade often (can be an very expensive hobby), so by the time this is released, it will be outdated compared to PC components.

Just like the 360 was, just like the Xbox one was, just like the PS4 was, they are all designed 6 months to a year before release and that is forever in the PC world.

When you have a closed box like the Xbox, You cant upgrade parts, you cant dump in a new video card... Games graphics get better and better and Nothing can beat a good speced PC for graphics levels.

Connect a Modern PC to a 4K TV...Use a Xbox one or 360 controller to play, and You could have far better experience on games than you can even on the Xbox one...

About the same as what I have been thinking. I have been debating on moving my pc into the living room and making that the center of all my gaming and media. So much customization and possibilities with a pc. Not so much with an xbox...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
About the same as what I have been thinking. I have been debating on moving my pc into the living room and making that the center of all my gaming and media. So much customization and possibilities with a pc. Not so much with an xbox...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I do it sometimes myself, It works prettty good. Even better, I have a HTPC setup, It's a last year's i5, 16gb memory with a GTX750 in it (OS on a SSD), I can use Steam Streaming from my gaming PC and use a Xbox one controller with it. It's pretty hard to see the difference compared to the desktop. I can even start a game with just a remote control before I pull out the controller.

Quick, simple and I can add games that I didn't get throught steam to streaming and it still works.

Maybe one of the new GTX cards could give me full 4K gaming, then it would be epic...I just dont want to have to do 2 high powered cards to do it, the Home theater PC is in a custom case with out a ton of room.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you use the Steam Link to stream from your gaming PC to your living room tv? I was looking at that or something like the NVIDIA Shield to stream from.

While I think it's great that Microsoft is opening up the gaming/xbox world to the PC, other that cost, why go with an Xbox and all its limitations? With game streaming, play anywhere program, and xbox conrollers working on the PC, I find it hard to justify an Xbox purchase over my PC.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I find myself playing less and less on PC. There are certain types of games that I prefer to play on a PC with a mouse and keyboard or a flight stick, but those types of games are ones that I just don't have the time to spend on them and they're becoming fewer and fewer. That being said, they've talked about mouse and keyboard support for Xbox One for a while now. Hopefully that's a future feature that doesn't get killed. It'd be nice to also get flight stick support. There's also the fact that Scorpio will be VR ready which means I won't have to invest that money into my PC to upgrade it. With as much upgrading as I'd have to do at this point, it'd be almost like starting from scratch. New processor, new motherboard, new RAM, new graphics card, new cooling system, etc., etc. About the only things I could reuse would be the case, SSD, hard drive, and maybe the power supply if it has enough juice. I don't upgrade very often because when I do, I usually get the best stuff that I can for the money and it lasts me a long time. My Core i7-920 from 2008 is still chugging along, but I know there's going to come a time in the not too distant future when it just isn't going to be enough. But I go months at a time without even turning on my PC, but my Xbox is on every day. I'll upgrade to Scorpio regardless of whether or not I upgrade my PC. My PC isn't useless, it's just not as useful as it once was for my needs.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I do this every other weekend or so. (Minus the 4K part; I only have a regular 46" 1080p TV, but to my eyes, my PC games look fantastic!) My gigantic CoolerMaster HAF case has large caster style wheels on it, so all I do is unplug everything and wheel it down the hallway to the living room, then a quick HDMI connection to the TV from my EVGA GTX 970 SSC for video and sound, and my keyboard and mouse (I also have an Afterglow Xbox 360 controller for some games, but I mostly play FPS games where the k/b & mouse are a must) and I'm in there!

Moving the Xfinity broadband modem to the living room is only another couple steps if I'm in the mood for some intense multiplayer action, otherwise, I'll just use a USB Wireless-N adapter for a speedy connection.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here's a shot of my setup in the living room with my gaming desktop PC running the new Doom. With the GTX 970, I can run it @1080p with everything maxed out on Ultra settings no sweat! With the new Vulkan graphics API, I can run it maxed out like that and get 140+ FPS!

Of course when I decide to upgrade to a 4K TV/display, I'd probably have to upgrade to a 1070/1080, or maybe buy another 970 to run in SLI to get the same performance. The GTX 970 will drive a 4K display no problem, but I might have to dial down the settings to get the desired 60+ frames per second.

As it sits right now though, I don't have the need for a "Project Scorpio"! Or any console for that matter... All the games I want to play are on PC and look so much better! Doom, The Division, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, etc etc etc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion