[Real Users] My Xbox One S Review

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Who has an Xbox One S?

Are you happy you got it? Why? Why not?

What's the good, the bad and the ugly? How long have you had it and what do you think?

Put your User Review here to help others. The more detail the better, we really appreciate hearing how it performs in the field.

Looking forward to seeing this thread fill up with Xbox One S goodness!!!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My brother just got the xbox One S the other day with halo 5/halo collection and assassins creed unity. I have been helping him set it up and get things going.

Coming from someone who usually had Playstation consoles, I have to say the xbox dashboard is CHAOS! It is just all over the place and not fun to get around. With PS3 you had these neat hierarchal structures that were simple to navigate. You can't customize it to only show my apps/games for example and just get rid of all the rest of the stuff. It feels like I logged into a website loaded with ads. And there are ads for xbox live too. I never logged into my playstation and saw any suggestions to join their service. It only showed up in the store not the main UI. The settings look bland. I'm not sure if this is the anniversary update that puts oneCore on all systems, but I thought at least they would try to make it similar to windows 10. I would prefer to have my initial screen to be something like windows 10 tablet mode with apps/games list expandable on the side and being able to flip to the xbox sidebar in the apps list pane.

The xbox seems slow loading content between different areas. Still, the store is beyond slow. My brother was in awe at how bad it was. I go to top free games and the pictures take forever to load on them. The connection tests out fine so it's definitely the store.

The controller is nice but I don't really notice much of a difference with the older one. I have the one for windows 10 and it seems similar. The old one may actually feel a bit better in my hands likely because it's a bit heavier.

Blurays play fine but the UI for the player app is horrible. Again I compare it to the ps3 which has a nice little menu with neat icons. The xbox one is chaotic and not very easy to follow. I would prefer something like VLC player to play blurays with. Hopefully it makes it to the store and lets you set it as the default bluray player.

The software upgrade process was fine and the upgrade screen actually had a nice and neat interface. The console itself is designed really well, it's quiet and doesn't seem to get hot. It seems like a huge discrepancy between what you get on the external view and what happens when you login and see the disaster UI.

I always thought the xbox app on my phone was pretty bad too. What bothered me the most was that I could not just get my home screen to be my games list but had to deal with the activity feed. Even so, the phone version looks a bit cleaner. They really need to do something about that dash board, I'm not sure how people can deal with it.

Edit: Wow I have never experienced this before. Installed Halo 5. At 50 gigs it took a really long time to install. So after all that waiting I'm all set to play it. I go to launch it "sorry you need to download an update". The update is 41GIGS!!! Jesus. I have never had this happen in gaming. So this is going to take a long time since the internet is limited to about 4mbit on the xbox one S. About 24 hours. Neat-o.

Last edited:

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
got mine setup this weekend. Essentially what the console should have been at launch, but you know....technology lol.

I think once UWP apps pick up steam, this thing will be a true "entertainment hub". I have the new One S in my living room with TV going through it, so it will get alot of use. I've been controlling it mainly with my phone for TV, but I ordered the Xbox one media remote for it so I have that for my wife/inlaws when in town etc. Basically the non-techies so they can control it with ease.

Will hook the kinect up once the adapter arrives.

I agree on the previous post about the bluray player app UI. Could definitely be improved.

System seems speedier than my launch XBO, but i'm holding judgement on that because i've been downloading games getting it setup most of the weekend. The halo downloads are no joke either.

Wish there was a better way to manage storage and move things between internal and external HD in group instead of clicking each app, choosing move...etc.

Now to decide on physical or digital copy of horizon 3. :)

Candyfloss74

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Who has an Xbox One S?

Are you happy you got it? Why? Why not?

What's the good, the bad and the ugly? How long have you had it and what do you think?

Put your User Review here to help others. The more detail the better, we really appreciate hearing how it performs in the field.

Looking forward to seeing this thread fill up with Xbox One S goodness!!!

I've had my xbox one s for 3 days and I'm devastated at how rubbish they are. Seriously thinking of taking it back. Not only have you to wait 2 days to be able to play a new game depending on how big the game file is. Games are that big that my memory is soon gonna fill up. And now after 3 days the stupid thing won't let me sign in. It just keeps reloading the who are you page. So now I can't play my games. Even when playing a game it doesn't feel as smooth as the 360. It has a different playing feel to the 360 and doesn't move fluidly. On most games you've got to press a counter attack button before you can turn around to face another character. I've only had it three days so I'm hoping it starts changing my mind soon or its going back to the shop. If you buy from disk you should be able to play from disk. Why have they played about with a instant play device that people loved and turned it into what I can only describe as a commodore 16 of the prehistoric ages. At least the old atari ect only took five minutes to load up this takes hours. If your buying one for a child make sure you've spent a week or two before Xmas loading it up with games or your kids are gonna be well disappointed.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had my xbox one s for 3 days and I'm devastated at how rubbish they are. Seriously thinking of taking it back. Not only have you to wait 2 days to be able to play a new game depending on how big the game file is. Games are that big that my memory is soon gonna fill up. And now after 3 days the stupid thing won't let me sign in. It just keeps reloading the who are you page. So now I can't play my games. Even when playing a game it doesn't feel as smooth as the 360. It has a different playing feel to the 360 and doesn't move fluidly. On most games you've got to press a counter attack button before you can turn around to face another character. I've only had it three days so I'm hoping it starts changing my mind soon or its going back to the shop. If you buy from disk you should be able to play from disk. Why have they played about with a instant play device that people loved and turned it into what I can only describe as a commodore 16 of the prehistoric ages. At least the old atari ect only took five minutes to load up this takes hours. If your buying one for a child make sure you've spent a week or two before Xmas loading it up with games or your kids are gonna be well disappointed.

I had the sign in problem and after playing with it for about 20 min. I shut the console down and unplugged it for 30 seconds and it seems to work fine now. Never saw this issue with the old console.

I was a day one owner. The new Xbox one S looks nice but, it just feels cheaper. Even the power switch is not the soft touch like the original one, it's button that needs to be pushed down. Even the controller loses the ORB that was on the controller, and even that needs to be pushed harder than the old ones.

The older controllers looked like they were multi parts that where put together (the face) now it looks like it's just one piece, just a stamped front of the remote. A cheaper process in making them, and in turn shows they were cheaper to make.

If you didn't need the 4K content and wanted a better built system, the old one I feels better built and just looks better.

Now, just a system itself complaint. Most NEW AAA games are between 45gb and 60gb (Mafia 3, new COD, Gears 4, Forza 3, all fall in this). Selling a system with out a swappable 500gb drive is a joke. With this range, and if your only putting in new AAA games, you might get 10-12 games before you need to start removing them to add more. Yea, yea yea I know you can "ADD" a USB 3.0 drive but, as for a BRAND new system that in 6 months of buying games, you NEED to buy something else. It's a miss planning joke.

Then there is the upgrading and installing of games. With a Modern connection 25mb down, 10mb up, a 47.5GB game takes about 2- 2 1/2 hours. Microsoft is promoting digital games but, the wait for MOST games to download is crazy. Physical games STILL take about 1/2 hour to 45 min to install. There was something to really be said about the old N64 days when you plug in a game, turn it on and you can play within 30 seconds. This is not going to change, with 4K gaming on the scorpio, games will just get larger and to think...Comcast puts a hidden CAP on internet, 250gb a month, download 3-5 games on your xbox one and your done start getting letters of them canceling your internet connection.

When the Xbox one first came out, most games were 10-30gb, so, it was not that big of an issue.

The minimum a new Xbox one should come out with is 1tb. Allow gamers to not have to worry about the system for a year or so (1tb should allow 20-30 large games).

Over all I like the system but, these are things that bother me about it.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Then there is the upgrading and installing of games. With a Modern connection 25mb down, 10mb up, a 47.5GB game takes about 2- 2 1/2 hours. Microsoft is promoting digital games but, the wait for MOST games to download is crazy. Physical games STILL take about 1/2 hour to 45 min to install. There was something to really be said about the old N64 days when you plug in a game, turn it on and you can play within 30 seconds. This is not going to change, with 4K gaming on the scorpio, games will just get larger and to think...Comcast puts a hidden CAP on internet, 250gb a month, download 3-5 games on your xbox one and your done start getting letters of them canceling your internet connection.

If you buy physical games then do you still need to download data before you can actually play the game?
And do you need to update the xbox one s or it's games every now and then? How often? Is it necessary to update before you can play the game?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you buy physical games then do you still need to download data before you can actually play the game?
And do you need to update the xbox one s or it's games every now and then? How often? Is it necessary to update before you can play the game?

If you buy Physical games, The main game you do not have to download, so the install is MUCH faster (and your not downloading that 40-60gb). You will have to download updates for the game (Most games even on release day will have updates before you can play online).

As for updates, it's random, some games, not too much, others you'll find a update every week or 2. Some updates I have seen as big as 3.2gb (A COD a while ago).....let's just say if you were meeting some friends online to play that game, you might not be playing (could take an hour), others I have seen as low as 5-10k... quick and simple.

If your worried about how much downloading over your connection, don't buy a new game on release day, get it 2 weeks later. You will still have to take a update but, crossing your fingers that they devs put out the major fixes right away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6