Xbox One doesn't play DVDs but will play Blu-rays. Anyone else have this problem?

Josh Aguilar

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The strangest thing. My OG Xbox One will play Blu-ray discs just fine. I've watched plenty of Blu-ray movies on it plus I've played many of my Xbox One games on it too (witch are on Blu-ray discs too). Unfortunately when it comes to DVDs, the One won't play them. Usually I wouldn't give a thought about it because I no longer have any DVDs and have no need to watch a DVD*movie but the fact is that I cant access any of my Xbox 360 games either because those are on DVDs. Kind of strange and I'm hoping I can get a fix because I have allot of 360 games on discs that I can't play because of this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR: Xbox One will play media on Blu-ray discs (Xbox One games/Movies) but won't even read DVDs (Xbox 360 games) witch means I can't play any BC games.

Tim-ANC

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
XBOX One only plays Blueray disks. You can copy your regular to DVDs to a file a play on Media player.

360 games are not compatible. However, MS has converted many 360 games already. Downside is you have to buy them.

Spidey1976

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that 360 games on the list will play (after installing to the HDD). *Although I've never tried either disc format yet, I'm guessing the limitation is an OS decoder for DVD playback or the lack of an app. I've never*heard of a physical*Blu-Ray drive that cannot play DVD, but I may be wrong. On Windows 10, you have to download an app or software to play*disc movies, or pay $15*extra to unlock*Windows Media*Player :(

bydandie

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
XBOX One only plays Blueray disks. You can copy your regular to DVDs to a file a play on Media player.

360 games are not compatible. However, MS has converted many 360 games already. Downside is you have to buy them.

Utter codswhallop, DVDs have played fine but the latest update has cause an issue with playback of all DVDs.

neil griffiths1

Dec 10, 2017
Visit site
The strangest thing. My OG Xbox One will play Blu-ray discs just fine. I've watched plenty of Blu-ray movies on it plus I've played many of my Xbox One games on it too (witch are on Blu-ray discs too). Unfortunately when it comes to DVDs, the One won't play them. Usually I wouldn't give a thought about it because I no longer have any DVDs and have no need to watch a DVD*movie but the fact is that I cant access any of my Xbox 360 games either because those are on DVDs. Kind of strange and I'm hoping I can get a fix because I have allot of 360 games on discs that I can't play because of this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR: Xbox One will play media on Blu-ray discs (Xbox One games/Movies) but won't even read DVDs (Xbox 360 games) witch means I can't play any BC games.

Had the same problem, somtimes would play but mostly not, try dropping the resolution in settings from 4k , think it should do it automaticly but it dosent

Ismitethings

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site

My xbone used to play DVDs, Blu-ray, games and all. But for weeks now it can't play any of my DVDs. It still plays Blu-ray and my xbone games though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss