Monitor or TV?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Was reading this post from Richard earlier today, and he brings up an interesting point. Is a monitor or TV better for the Xbox gamer?

What do you use? And if $ wasn't an issue, which would you prefer?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
For shooters, monitor... not even close. Not one TV out there that can match the response time.

For sports... this is a tough one for me. TV helps me see more of the court on 2k, but the monitor allows me to use the shooting meter more and not worry about input lag as much. I shoot better on my monitor, but pass better on my TV.

Games like Zelda? Better on TV.

So I think it depends on what type of game, the game mode and if input lag plays a big role in your success.

Also depends on the person.... with muscle memory, you can use the TV and not have any or little effect.

I started using a monitor for COD, about 3 years ago. Never looked back. I can't use anything else. I used to play competitive Counter-Strike, back in the days and was already used to playing on a monitor.

jordbrett

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
If you're looking for serious competitive gaming a monitor will give a slight edge. But I prefer to sit back on the couch with my tv.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a monitor right now and it's fine. If money was no object I'd get an HDR display, probably the LG OLED since HDR monitors are really new and still being figured out.

gold-stars

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
For laid back or casual players a TV, for those more competitive a monitor.

Monitors are actually easier to setup than TV's as there is more compliance to the sRGB standard on PC side, so once the Xbox is set to PC monitor in display settings your set and typically don't need to alter anything more than brightness settings to your liking.

In addition the Xbox One X also supports Freesync which means it will work with Freesync PC monitors, this will remove all frame rate caps on games and eliminates monitor issues like tearing/judder from variable frame rates.

The big downside on monitors is HDR, it's not done right at all, AMD have a solution via the Freesync 2 standard which has certified displays with it's own HDR standard & but there's no word if Xbox supports this and probably only supports the regular TV HDR10 mode.

The ideal output would be a Freesync 2 HDR TV with X1X support, now that would be the king of the hill.

Mickey_H

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
For a average gamer a TV ?????? will do just fine but if you are considering to enter the competitive landscape a monitor is the only option. Every competitive gamer that i know plays on a monitor. I play on a 27" monitor with 5ms respond time @ 80hz, when i miss a shot i know it was me without a doubt. I'm also lookin to pair the new Xbox with a FreeSync 2+HDR Monitor and a Elite controller for a ultimate setup.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
If you spent many hours gaming on XBOX then a monitor. It has also the advantage that if you want to play a game on PC you can use it for that too.

But if you play games on XBOX only occasionally and you also use XBOX to watch movies or TV channels then I would say TV is the right choice.

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Was reading this post from Richard earlier today, and he brings up an interesting point. Is a monitor or TV better for the Xbox gamer?

I personally use a TV as both my workstation monitor and my gaming screen. It was the same price as a comparable monitor, had more HDMI inputs, and has built in speakers - something that isn't a given with some monitors. A dedicated gaming monitor would have a higher refresh rate, but the TV I'm using already does 60 Hz, which is fine for me.

Edit: I do currently have my eyes on this monitor, but will wait until I hear back about potential jobs coming up https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711MP76...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3689257

nightlyspartan

May 28, 2014
Visit site

I had been using the Dell S2216 Monitor with my Xbox One for quite a while, and replaced both with the Dell S2718H and Xbox One S respectively.
I'm quite happy as the Dell can do 4K when using the Game HDR mode and it supports HDR10 as well. I play on desk since I was a PC gamer and I don't like couch gaming.
Monitors provide great color reproduction and uniformity that budget TVs lack and they have very low latency as well. This makes a lot of difference when I'm playing multiplayer on Halo 5, I can easily get in Top three scorers just becauses of the lower latency, I have tried playing on few TV from LG and Sony but they all feel like there's blur effect and I am unable to focus as much as I need to.
So it's always a monitor for me.

PS: Looking forward to upgrading my setup with the Xbox One X and a FreeSync 2 4K monitor, when they are available.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm jealous... and that's one of my favorite movies. Not too many people talked about it, but a lot watched and loved it.

GMyers23

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site

A monitor would be better but I'm gonna stick with using my TV. I bought a Sony XBR65X650C a year and a half ago. The 4K and HDR will look great from the X.

covfefe

Banned
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site

I'm using a 65" LG OLED curved screen 4K UHD HDR tv with my Xbox One S. It's great and waiting to see how the One X looks on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs