Are you going to shell out $500 (or more) for Xbox One X?

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
That's actually a good idea to ask about..dear Xbox One S gamers, is 1TB good enough? Considering that Xbox One X will have 4K games (much bigger files), it's good to know.

It depends. Personally, I have a 500GB Xbox One that I do most of my gaming on and all my games are installed on a 1TB external drive. I installed them on an external so I could take them to a friends place or play them on the 2TB Xbox One S that's in the living room. The only games that are installed on that system are games my daughter plays. That 1TB drive is very full right now and I've had to delete some games. If you're like me and don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall games all the time, 1TB is on that ragged edge of being enough for current games. I think I have about 20-30 games installed and another 30-40 digital titles that aren't. I'd have to look to get a hard number. If you have no intention of getting an external drive and don't want to uninstall and reinstall games all the time to make room, get as big of a system as you can. If you're open to using an external drive, get the 1TB system, save the money, and put it towards the purchase of a really large external drive. I'm planning on upgrading that 1TB external to something larger very soon.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
All you people thinking games will be full 4k here is a real example that its just not going to be possible on all games (in fact I doubt it will be on most) because there just is not enough HP.

This is footage from Assasins Creed Origins 4k on Xbox One X. UbiSoft does admit to using checker-boarding and dynamic resolution in the game engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8oPvbpVGP0

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Unless Gamestop offers a nice trade in deal for the one X I'm not getting it. They didn't have a game that wowed me enough to say I have to have it. The best games they showed was dragonball and battlegrounds

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
It depends. Personally, I have a 500GB Xbox One that I do most of my gaming on and all my games are installed on a 1TB external drive. I installed them on an external so I could take them to a friends place or play them on the 2TB Xbox One S that's in the living room. The only games that are installed on that system are games my daughter plays. That 1TB drive is very full right now and I've had to delete some games. If you're like me and don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall games all the time, 1TB is on that ragged edge of being enough for current games. I think I have about 20-30 games installed and another 30-40 digital titles that aren't. I'd have to look to get a hard number. If you have no intention of getting an external drive and don't want to uninstall and reinstall games all the time to make room, get as big of a system as you can. If you're open to using an external drive, get the 1TB system, save the money, and put it towards the purchase of a really large external drive. I'm planning on upgrading that 1TB external to something larger very soon.

Thank you very much. So players who don't need more than 5-6 games installed could do with 1TB even for Xbox One X with 4K textures. That's cool!

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's actually a good idea to ask about..dear Xbox One S gamers, is 1TB good enough? Considering that Xbox One X will have 4K games (much bigger files), it's good to know.

Only if you just intend to play one or two 4K games. And whether you prefer games with physical discs or digital. If you want to move entirely to digital, then absolutely not.
If developers actually get on board with the One X and start making their games available in true 4K then game sized will go up A LOT.

We can't know *for sure* how large will the games be but we can get an idea:

- Current Xbox games are taking around 50GB of storage on average. However, you already have games like Halo 5 taking 98GB and Gears of War 4 taking 116GB of storage space.
None of them, however, runs at 4K. In fact, many don't even run at 1080p.

- A typical 2 hour 4K film requires over 100GB.

It will also depend on the vastness of the game, of course. But I think now you can get an idea of how much a true 4K game will take. If we're being optimistic, a large title in true 4K will very likely take at least 150GB to 200GB. Which means a 1TB HDD - which is never 1TB at all - will, at best, allow you to install six 150GB games.

And that's assuming you're leaving 100GB free for apps and other things.

I have both the Original Xbox One and the One S. The One I went with the 500GB version. It was nowhere near enough. With the One S I went with the 2TB version, mainly because it was the Gears of War 4 Special Edition which looked amazing but also because it allowed me to free the USB port that an external drive will take.

So, to be completely honest, no, 1TB is nowhere near enough for a 4K console, let alone one that Microsoft asks 500€ for.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
1TB is enough.

Game like Ghost Recon Wildlands is less than 50GB.

10 x 50GB = 500GB.

With 1TB you are looking at enough storage for at least 15 full top tier games.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
It isn't practical for me to buy an Xbox One X. I will also have to buy a 4K tv..and if I'm getting a 4k tv, its not going to be some budget model. Not even a Vizio. No, this tv will be 60-70 inches and cost somewhere between $1300 - $1700.
Then, I will have to get a new home theater receiver that is 4k/HDR capable with as many HDMI inputs as my current and the same - or better - power ratings. Yes, I know power ratings aren't the be all end all, but this is about efficiently driving my speakers.
The new receiver will also be ATMOS capable, which means I will have to get new front speakers...speakers that are as good as or better than my Klipsch Rf series and are ATMOS.
I'm looking at an additional $2,000 *after* buying the Xbox. It's not justifiable.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

It’s official! The “Project Scorpio” Xbox is called Xbox One X. And it’s pretty, pretty, pretty damn impressive, at least in my opinion. There’s glorious 4K support. It’s powered by eight CPU cores clocked at 2.3GHz, 12GB of GDDR5 RAM and a GPU packing 40 Radeon compute units running at 1172 MHz. (Check out a full list of specs here.)

But there’s also a pretty, pretty, pretty hefty price tag associated with Xbox One X.

So, the big question: Are you going to buy the new console? Do you feel like it’s worth $500 (or more depending on the different models that are released? If so, will you preorder it as soon as possible? And if not, why not?

I’m on the fence. I don’t own a 4K TV, so that’s no huge draw for me. The price is not insignificant, and I’m not sure I really need everything the Xbox One X has to offer.

Your turn! Let us know whether or not you plan to be an Xbox One X owner.

More than likely I will. But, I've been saving up money for the past year for it. I intend to trade-in my XBOX One towards it coupled with the money i've 'saved up' from my best buy rewards card. If not for those, than I probably wouldn't get it.

I have a 4K TV, but not one with HDR. I'm guilty of wanting the 'newest, latest, best.'

NarcoSleepy

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Is this going to be abbreviated as XOX or XBOX?

My preference is XB1X. So the family would be XB1, XB1S, XB1X

As for purchasing, I would REALLY like to pick it up this holiday, but I would like to wait until there is a 2TB+ edition released. I already use a 6TB external drive with my 2TB XB1S which is already 60% full. I can't imagine how much space would be required for 4K enabled games.

olivermills6

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

It’s official! The “Project Scorpio” Xbox is called Xbox One X. And it’s pretty, pretty, pretty damn impressive, at least in my opinion. There’s glorious 4K support. It’s powered by eight CPU cores clocked at 2.3GHz, 12GB of GDDR5 RAM and a GPU packing 40 Radeon compute units running at 1172 MHz. (Check out a full list of specs here.)

But there’s also a pretty, pretty, pretty hefty price tag associated with Xbox One X.

So, the big question: Are you going to buy the new console? Do you feel like it’s worth $500 (or more depending on the different models that are released? If so, will you preorder it as soon as possible? And if not, why not?

I’m on the fence. I don’t own a 4K TV, so that’s no huge draw for me. The price is not insignificant, and I’m not sure I really need everything the Xbox One X has to offer.

olivermills6

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Can you get an HDR monitor? I need one for when I get an Xbox One X, as the TVs are all too large to fit in my room.

I'm definitely keen. I've waited too long through poor performance of games on the One...

mtmt82

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
I wish this was the xbox one Microsoft first introduced to us when it first came out. They probably wouldn't be behind Sony if that were the case. I'm glad they are going back to their roots and putting some real power back into the console. I'll never forget when that first xbox came out all those years ago. I was immediately hooked when I got my hands on it. It was a true powerhouse back in the day compared to what was out. I'm hoping they can build off this and continue to keep pushing the boundaries with future iterations. Now all they need to do is shore up some more first party exclusives, which I feel they are doing behind the scenes, and Microsoft can get back to being number 1 in the console wars. I laugh though when I say console wars though because this competition in my opinion is great for all gamers which is why I'm so happy the Switch is doing well too. But yeah I'm definitely getting the X!!

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon