How do you prefer to get Xbox game reviews?

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
On Windows Central we're looking at ramping up our Xbox coverage in the near future, with an all new Xbox section with separate social channels. You can check out a preview of that right here.

As we move forward, we'd like to hear your opinions on our Xbox coverage in general, but especially with regards to game reviews.

When you're looking for a game review, do you prefer in-depth written reviews such as this, reviews that have a video version like this, or more brief reviews like this?

Also if you have any other comments about the types of content you'd like to see us cover, and _how_ you'd like to see us cover it in the new gaming section, do let us know in the thread below.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I prefer in depth articles with images from the games. I like to sit at my computer during lunch and read and so having a good article with images that gives me a good understanding of how the game plays would be my vote.

I do most of my visits to this site at work, where streaming videos are blocked en mass. Video reviews are useless to me. I'm not saying don't do it, but provide it as a supplement to an in depth article and not a replacement.

Last edited:

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I prefer in depth articles with images from the games. I like to site at me computer during lunch and read and so having a good article with images that gives me a good understanding of how the game plays would be my vote.

I do most of my visits to this site at work, where streaming videos are blocked en mass. Video reviews are useless to me. I'm not saying don't do it, but provide it as a supplement to an in depth article and not a replacement.

My thoughts exactly. In depth reviews with pictures will do nicely for me too.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The more detail the better for sure. Combination of videos also works very nicely. Not just random game play videos but videos of perhaps what you felt the game executes very well, and also what the game does very poorly. If there's a feature or a part of the game executed extremely poor I'd like to be aware of it before a purchase. I can't tell you how many times I bought a game only to learn one of my favorite features within the game turned out to be complete garbage while other parts were done well.

I also continue to look forward to various hardware and accessory reviews as well as the "how-to's" when it comes to different options or new console updates.

For one, I'd LOVE to know how to get my freakin' party chat to work when streaming my Xbox to my PC. It's been more than a year and I have yet to figure it out!!

ulfvar

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
Personally, I prefer watching video reviews. I usually lose interest if the video goes too much into details but I don't want it to be too short either, 4-6 minutes would be a sweetspot for me.

I like to see the gameplay instead of just seeing pictures and I lose interest if I see a wall of text in a review.

The best solution of course would be to have a video review at the top of the article that covers the basics and shows some gameplay and having a detailed written review under it for those interested in that.

Younes Mirzaie

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have a very slow internet connection that makes watching videos such a pain but even if had a better connection I'd rather the old fashion way. Honestly, Jez, you write great articles and I read almost every review you write about the games I care about. I'm not saying you are not good at videos or I won't follow if you go that way, sure I can wait till the video loads but I'll miss those articles.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for these replies guys. I think it's more likely that we'd cater to all audiences rather than remove any. If there was huge demand for video, we might do video AS WELL as an in-depth written review.

Well, I have a very slow internet connection that makes watching videos such a pain but even if had a better connection I'd rather the old fashion way. Honestly, Jez, you write great articles and I read almost every review you write about the games I care about. I'm not saying you are not good at videos or I won't follow if you go that way, sure I can wait till the video loads but I'll miss those articles.

Thanks for the kind comments :')

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
In depth reviews are nice to have but I don't read them 90% of the time frankly.
Usually just read the summary part.

I usually do read a review in detail however after I beat a game, just to see how others felt about their experience.

Suggestion,
If you're going to make an Xbox section, it would be nice to have filters to check all your reviews and view it by review date or alphabetical order.

tec goblin

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
When you're looking for a game review, do you prefer in-depth written reviews such as this, reviews that have a video version like this, or more brief reviews like this?

I prefer in depth reviews, judging how a game evolves, even if they take a little more time. You can start with a v0 at release and significantly revisit it a month later.

SteadyMercury

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
On Windows Central we're looking at ramping up our Xbox coverage in the near future, with an all new Xbox section with separate social channels. You can check out a preview of that right here.

As we move forward, we'd like to hear your opinions on our Xbox coverage in general, but especially with regards to game reviews.

Also if you have any other comments about the types of content you'd like to see us cover, and _how_ you'd like to see us cover it in the new gaming section, do let us know in the thread below.

SteadyMercury

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
I'd love to see some interviews with devs and publishers in a more general sense. Not necessarily Xbox specific or with just enough of an Xbox bent to justify your site covering it.

I'm happy to see you expanding your coverage. Seems to me like the big sites like IGN have really dropped the ball on their Xbox coverage this gen. There don't seem to many gamers interested in the Xbox platform in the coverage part of the industry these days.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I miss the old days b4 the internet and reading game reviews and seeing the scores on old EGM (electronic gaming monthly) and game pro magazines. Everything is all online and not the same anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium