Xbox One X Fan Noise

Keyan06

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
Mine is (knock on wood) whisper quiet. As quiet as my Xbox One day one edition. Even under gaming loads I don't notice much noise.

That noise in the video sounds like a fan issue. Either it's not in there tight or worse, there is a small defect in one of the bearings that is making it growl like that.

mozzeph

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
i also requested a replacement by MS. they still had scorpio editions left so i figured why not repalce it if they offer to do it. let's hope this new box will be more quiet.

Exthree

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
i also requested a replacement by MS. they still had scorpio editions left so i figured why not repalce it if they offer to do it. let's hope this new box will be more quiet.

How did your replacement go? Mine is making the swooshing noise and it's annoying me. I keep it in a TV stand, but it's open, and there's plenty of space around.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I would repot that to Microsoft and probably get a replacement, something ain't right.

Mine is practically silent regardless of the workload.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
first try plugging it directly into the wall, not a power strip. If that doesn't work then you can exchange it or live with it. The fan spinning up is annoying and I would replace it but it will still work.

SeaBuf

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Just a quick update from me.
A friend of mine had the same buzzing noise with his Project Scorpio Edition. He sent it in for repair to Microsoft, it came back and the fan sounds perfect. No buzzing, just the sound of the air being blown through the machine, how it’s supposed to be.
After I heard the difference with my own ears, I sent in mine too, will get it back by the end of the week and really hope they fixed it.

Some of you guys may have misunderstood my question and the intention of this thread. It never was about how loud or quiet the Xbox One X is in general, but about these annoying side noises like the rattling/buzzing you can hear in the video.

Last edited:

SeaBuf

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
What about the swoosh noise?

Not sure what you mean. Every perfectly working fan does make swooshing noises, that's just inevitable when moving air through the system. Rattle/buzzing sounds on the other hand are NOT normal, and people who hear those kind of noises should reach out to MSFT to repair their Xbox.

Insomniack

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
Have the scorpio edition myself, recently the fan has started to suddenly and randomly sound real loud. Like an unusual noise. Way noisier than the original xbox one and xbox one s. I hope microsoft plans on doing something about this. Im pretty bummed i paid $500 dollars for something that clearly isnt functioning properly

SeaBuf

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
I just got my Scorpio back from repair. Same rattling noise, that’s pathetic. I mean they fixed the issue on my friend’s console, and all I’m getting back is the same stupid noise like there’s a miniature diesel engine running inside my Xbox, unacceptable.
Going to return it to amazon now and get my money back, got a nice deal on a PS4 Pro a few days ago. Somehow I already anticipated that the noise would still be there.
MSFT did a great job losing me as a loyal customer here.

BMWKante

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
@SeaBuf yes, I was speaking about the noise generated by the air. My Xbox X is silent at home menu but e.g. Wolfenstein II the airflow can be heard.
About the diesel engine noise, my X has it too. Also my PS4 Pro and in some kind my PC. So I guess it's more or less normal or maybe luck to get a gaming device without it.

Mike T4

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Mine standard edition is the same. I’ve sent videos to Xbox support who are claiming it’s normal, which it obviously isn’t. I can’t exchange it as there is no stock.

https://twitter.com/scarlettshaw/status/928729857042911233

It's not normal... My scorpio edition made the same noise as the video... I call xbox support had a new scorpio edition sent to me, after it arrived I tested it (no noise, whisper quiet) packed the defective one up and shipped it back. I was only out a Xbox for about an hour to update and I got the scorpio edition 10 days ago. Xbox support was great about the whole thing. Give them a call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos