Xbox One X Fan Noise

SeaBuf

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
My Project Scorpio Edition is noticeably louder than my original Xbox One (not S). I’ve found a video on YouTube that comes pretty close to how my fan sounds: https://youtu.be/kkby27WcFJk

Is this normal? Not sure if I can live with that noise. It’s not about the “swooshing” sound of air, but that underlying buzzing noise is far from optimal.

Wyatt Knapp

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I have the Project Scorpio edition and there is a very obnoxious loud buzzing noise when it is turned on. Even under no load the noise is there. It is far louder than the original Xbox One. I haven't decided what to do about it (re: contacting MS) but I don't think I can live with it...

I know they replaced consoles when they had problems with the One S so maybe they'll do the same with this...

Any thoughts?

[UPDATE]

I contacted MS and they offered to repair or replace the unit. I sent it in for repair and when I received it back, it still made the same noise. As far as I could tell the only thing they did was factory reset the console. I contacted them again and had them replace the unit through the Advanced Exchange Program. I just received the new unit today and it is whisper quiet. Like, so quiet that I wasn't sure if it was on, quiet. I would definitely recommend going this route for those with the same issue.

Last edited:

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
tl;dr:
No.

Long version:
My Xbox One X is quieter than the power brick of the original Xbox One. For reference, I have it standing up vertically in an entertainment center. I have a WiiU and Switch sitting next to it which could be muffling the sound. However, I use to have the original XB1 brick in the same place and could hear it fine. At least to me, The Xbox One X is much quieter. You could just have gotten one with a bad fan. Even a failure rate of just 1% on 1,000,000 fans will still be 10,000 fans.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
My Project Scorpio Edition is noticeably louder than my original Xbox One (not S). I’ve found a video on YouTube that comes pretty close to how my fan sounds: https://youtu.be/kkby27WcFJk

Is this normal? Not sure if I can live with that noise. It’s not about the “swooshing” sound of air, but that underlying buzzing noise is far from optimal.

I did not have this kind of noise, but i had a weird noise before mine shut down. I was using it for probably less than an hour. I started it back up and it ran for maybe 5 mins before shutting down again never to start back up. I requested a replacement from amazon and it should be in today.

Fan noise seemed to be okay, but I have a plasma tv with a noticeable fan so it's hard for me to say if it's louder than the original. I never found the original to be loud.

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine only had the loud noise when doing the transfer from old Xbox to new. That took a day due to my bad wireless network setup.

Also wow this Xbox is heavy af. Pulled a forearm muscle lifting it out the box lol

Morgy93

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Same here.. Xbox One X Scorpio Edition
But my rattle sound is not there all the time.
I assume it's the HDD, at least it doesn't sound like the fan at all (yes my fan does "woosh" too)

I'd really love to know if this is normal, because I only want my Scorpio Edition replaced if this is really some fault.

For instance I had my original Surface replaced a couple of times only to realize that the coil whine is normal and probably couldn't be heard by older people. (Because the older, the lesser high audio frequencies the human ear can hear)

rapiddemon

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site

Mine standard edition is the same. I’ve sent videos to Xbox support who are claiming it’s normal, which it obviously isn’t. I can’t exchange it as there is no stock.

https://twitter.com/scarlettshaw/status/928729857042911233

Paul Josephson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft will but, being that it has only been a few days take it back to the store or ship it back. Microsoft is pretty good and quick about replacing items but, that turnaround will be quicker from a major online store (like Amazon, GameStop, BestBuy, etc..) Don't treat as it is special and think opening it voids anything. People seem to be tip toeing around returning it. It is no different than any other item you buy.

Every device has issues. Especially true for the initial run of a new device with many moving parts like these consoles. The failure rates aren't much greater then normal. You just hear about it more because people are more focused on the device What little issues that are common will be ironed out at the manufacturing.

The PS4 Pro had fan issues as well when it was released last year. It also had weird power and erratic system issues. I was one with a bad PS4 Pro fan (you could hear from the other side of the house) and returned it back to GameStop. The second device had an issue where it wouldn't eject the disc and power up didn't always work. Returned that one. The third time was the charm as they say in my Pro case.

So far my Xbox X has been working like a charm. It is slightly louder than S but, not drastically so on normal operation (just ever so slight). However, it can be noticeably louder then the S (still quieter than my Pro) mostly when it is running true 4K game. Which is to expected as it really is pushing the APU at that point over the less expensive 1440p or 1080p renders.

Spencer Rempel

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site

Yeah my Scorpio edition does that too but I don't really want to replace it as it's limited edition and it's just noise

overbored

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site

My one x is insanely quiet even after hours of gaming

Ribcage SE

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
Yes, mine is really loud when playing Gears 4 or SWBF2. Its like it gets too warm and then the fans get louder and louder. My One S has always been quiet so I will send this one in for repairs.

markylad

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
I have a similar issue with the scorpio edition. At first i thought it was the Forza game and background noise then realised it was coming from the disc itself. It was a high pitched noise as though the spinning of the disc was causing it. Then it went off when i played a game that was on the HDD, so it obviously was coming from the disc drive.

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site

I haven't heard this noise yet from mine, but I will keep an ear out.

mozzeph

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Can somebody who doesnt hear the fan noise please play some wolfenstein 2? mine is okish i guess but sometime it gets very loud and hot, especially with wolf 2..
id love for MS to investigate this, come forward and clarify the situation if this has something to do with the hovis method.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

Mine is dead quiet when idle, but when it is under heavy load, the fan gets louder and louder. :/

Last edited:

anon(10322566)

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
I have the Project Scorpio Edition too and it's noticeably louder than my Xbox One Day One Edition. Not sure if it's normal because it just came out so the jury's still out. Luckily for me (I guess) I play with noise cancelling headphones so it's not really much of an issue. As long as it's normal and it's not going to melt then I can live with it.

If it's not normal I'd like to see some kind of statement from Microsoft. After the Samsung Note 7 turned out to be a flaming Hadouken I wouldn't want to take any chances.

edit: I noticed this within the first hour of playing so I don't see how this couldn't have come up during testing.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss