Custom built consoles?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Let's assume for a moment that MS offered the XBox like how Dell used to let you configure a desktop computer. So you can have the prebuilt versions, or on a site on MS, you can configure a build that you can make your own.

What would you guys want to see? Custom skins for the casing? Choices in the GPU? More than 2 choices in storage?

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
An interesting idea! The Xbox IS more or less a Windows PC, so this sort of setup COULD work. For sure custom cases can be done and that would be cool, but other options like more memory or a better processor would be cool too. You can decide am I a casual gamer and thus a cheaper lower specs Xbox would be fine, OR am I a hard core gamer who needs better specs. Also VR/AR compatibility should be considered too. IF you want that you pay a bit more for better specs but if you could care less you get the cheaper model.

HOWEVER in the final analysis I don't think MS will do this. Currently they DO have a couple models with different specs. I think this is the best we can hope for, BUT you never know! :)

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think MS will do this

Yeah, there is no way this side of Hades they would do this, no argument there.

We could take it even one step further....there are GPU enclosures that plug into PC. I think there are USB connections and definitely a Thunderbolt one. Asus showed one off a few months ago: https://www.pcgamer.com/asus-unveil...losure-for-graphics-pros-but-works-for-games/

Going back to the original idea, I think offering a choice of GPUs is a good first step. Now, this won't be cheap, but also in the long run, this can make a more satisfied gamer as well.

Brett Franklin

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Let's assume for a moment that MS offered the XBox like how Dell used to let you configure a desktop computer. So you can have the prebuilt versions, or on a site on MS, you can configure a build that you can make your own.

What would you guys want to see? Custom skins for the casing? Choices in the GPU? More than 2 choices in storage?

It would be current Xb1X specification with an added thunderbolt port to add any graphics cards I wanted

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I see no point in doing this. Someone said Xbox is a PC, so yeah - go buy a custom PC with components of your choice, buy an Xbox controller and pray to Phill that he makes all Xbox games a Play Anywhere titles.

Brian Mueller

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I would want 2 types. 1. Small some what inexpensive version w/o an optical drive, small SSD and 4* USB C/ Thunderbolt ports. 2. Larger one with optical drive and large amounts of expandable storage that can act as a server for the rest and USB C/Thunderbolt.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Instead of swap out the whole console, a cpu+gpu+ram module every 3~4 years would be cool. Just pull the whole unit up and replace it with a new one and you are good to go.
I know... you can cross-play newer xboxes with older Xboxes but still... how many xboxes you wanna keep 3 or 4 gens later? As long as there's win10, UWP and GamePass, it's not like older games cannot run on newer system.

But under 1 condition tho. Only 1st party HWs are allowed. PC gaming has way more issues than console gaming. (Why do you think fans of different graphic card makers attack each other, arguing which $500 card crashes more?)
The more freedom for user (HW, drivers, irresponsible 3rd party hw provider, user trying to be smart, background-services, OS version, tampered system, rubbish in the system), the more trouble for devs too.

tbh, even if it's "1st party HW only", there'll def be dodgy components from 3rd parties and there'll def be players who wanna go cheap. Then there'll be many 1 stars in the rating.

Adam Gierscher

May 21, 2015
Visit site
1) All ports would be Thunderbolt 3 ports

2) Internal HDD would be an SSD

3) Other than that it would be equivalent to the Xbox One X

In reality, Microsoft would never do something on this scale. But they could do something through Design Lab. Maybe custom colouring, and HDD options. But that would be about it.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
I haven't cared about the aesthetics of home electronics for a long time. The home electronics is unseen electronics, as far as I'm concerned. I do think storage should always be SSD at this point--this just makes sense. But the biggest problems I have with Xbox is that it doesn't have FULL support for keyboard and mouse and the fact that they killed the Kinect. I have little use for the machine without it.

Evulm0nkey

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. SSD. Also, CPU if possible. I don't care if you make me use logitech, keyboard and mouse support through bluetooth. Bluetooth headset support too.

Hollywooda

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
an Xbox with more and BETTER exclusives. The Xbox One X & S are amazing consoles, hardware is no longer the problem its software. Games, games, games.

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I see no point in doing this.

Why not? Some people don't want to use a PC for gaming. I personally, don't share that opinion, as I think it is a superior platform for gaming, but again, not everyone shares that opinion.

pray to Phill that he makes all Xbox games a Play Anywhere titles.
Pray is the keyword here. The play anywhere mechanic is rolling out at a somewhat inconsistent pace. For as long as the program has been out, there aren't that many games that qualify.

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I would want 2 types. 1. Small some what inexpensive version w/o an optical drive, small SSD and 4* USB C/ Thunderbolt ports. 2. Larger one with optical drive and large amounts of expandable storage that can act as a server for the rest and USB C/Thunderbolt.

That could be an option too. Something to lower the price a little, as digital media is becoming much more popular.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon