What'd you think of E3? Thumbs up, or thumbs down?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
So, E3 is over, but there was a ton of Xbox related news announced in LA, and honestly, it seemed like one of the more exciting E3s in years, at least from a Microsoft and Xbox perspective. Microsoft teased a new Xbox, we got some details on Halo Infinite, and even Microsoft rival Sony announced some Xbox games. You can read our roundup for details on all the biggest news.

Overall, what did you think of the event? And what games are you most looking forward to that were unveiled? I'm a big Cuphead fans, so the Delicious Last Course DLC is way up on my list of most-anticipated games.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I thought E3 was a lot better this year than last. E3 '17 seemed to be, at least for me, what MS was planning to release in '18 and '19. There wasn't much that i was excited for. This year, I have a pretty decent list of games for this year alone.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm excited about the investment Microsoft is clearly putting into Xbox, might take a while to materialize into *stuff* but at least they've given us a roadmap, which is more than what they ddo for other products...

PLPW77

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
What did I think of Microsoft’s E3 showing? I think that I went from questioning how serious MS was about gaming before the conference to being absolutely confident in their focus. They had numerous exclusives, strong third party support, and even teased their next generation console. I was blown away by some of what MS had to show. Ten out of ten from me. Since their showing, I’ve preordered and paid in full for 36 upcoming games thus far, counting both physical and digital, and there are still more I want to snag as they become available to put money on. There’s no bigger testament to Microsoft’s success at E3 in my eyes than giving them my hard earned money.

Guest_aotf

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Overall I wouldn't say it was a great E3.
I'm guessing you guys are talking about XB's press conference so I'll post about this.

There are people here going crazy about this conference but I wouldn't say it was that great. There were some great stuff but some poor stuff.

I know my opinions will probably upset some "fans" here so I'll start with the positives. If you're a fan who doesn't accept that your beloved company gets criticised, please stop reading after the positives.

Positives:
For me, the biggest news is the creation of the new studio the initiative. Even though we knew it was coming and they would talk about it, it's still nice that they confirmed it.
Announcing new games like Battletoads. Also the next sequels of the usual Gears/Halo/Forza. Even if we know these were coming and they aren't likely to stop making them again and again it's still nice to see some games. Ori gameplay looked great.
It's nice that they are taking the effort to bring some 3rd party Japanese for their users (even though I was often told by some of them how bad these games are)

Ok now I'll talk about the other stuff. Like I said, if you are upset when people criticise MS/XB, please stop reading here. (you have been warned lol)
1) Mostly 3rd part or multiplats
What I can't do is give much credit to MS for most of what we saw. It was almost entirely about 3rd party or multiplats.
We've seen many games but it's just about making a long conference not to showcase your games but mostly showcase other people's work. It's not reasons why to buy a XB1 if I already own another platform.
2) "Console launch exclusive" bs
It's horrible how they STILL try to mislead consumers with their "exclusive" message. Trying to pass timed exclusives as exclusives. How they use the confusing term "Console launch exclusive" that they invented. That's a huge negative for me. Covering your lack of investment in exclusives by trying to trick gamers with timed deals.
3) new studios?
I've been hearing a lot of the "5 new studios". There is one new studio. 2 were second party studios who were already working and making games for MS.
Then they bought 2 studios. Both are small studios but the real question mark here is that knowing MS's history with studios, how will these two studios do?
They still need to prove themselves. All we are left here is hope that it turns out alright.
I hope they give these studios creative freedom to do what they want. No microtransactions, no forced multiplayer coop, no "game must be 4K", no "neverending sequels", no "meet the deadline" pressure, no game as service bs...
4) Nothing in the next 1-2 years?
Last year we were told that games will not be announced to early. It is unlikely that either Halo or Gears will come in the next 12 months. Ori that was announced last year was said to come in 2019, so we're talking 18-30 months after it was announced.
5) Depending on the usual Halo/Gears/Forza
Last year, Spencer said MS doesn't depend on Halo, Gears and Forza.
But what did we get here? Halo, Gears and Forza were the only AAA console exclusives by MS.
It's crazy to think that we are almost 34 months since we last had a non-Halo/Gears/Forza AAA console exclusive announced and it's likely to be at least 46 months till next E3.
6) What was Spencer doing since 2014?
Spencer took charge in 2014. His games are supposed to be coming out right about now. How can a drought like this be acceptable? 2016-2019. 4 years!! What was he planning all these years?
At the start of this generations MS had many studios Twisted Pixel Games, Lionhead Studios, Press Play. So they bought two third party studio but closed down these three.
7) Next console? Already?
They hinted for a new console even though the XB1x released recently. The drought probably won't end anytime soon and that these studios are probably making games for the next console. The question is why is this good for people who believed on the XB1x? Why should believe in this system?

At the end of the day this was more a 3rd party conference about some stuff about the future. They are promising dreams. And once again we'll have to wait and see what happens... As much as MS fans were talking about not knowing stuff too early and how they only want to hear things 12 months before launch, here, they are actually celebrating "studios". We probably won't see the result in another 4 years or so...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2