07-14-2019 12:01 PM
41 12
tools
    It was a hardware point of view that I was thinking of when I made the comment of the lines being blurred. Some of the diehard fans on either side of the console debate need to start realizing that they are essentially PCs, now, with a semi specific task in mind.
    Well in that case, the PS is more like a PC as well. And yes, you are right they are specialized PCs. However this makes perfect sense, all the graphics and tech innovation is in PC, and otherwise, it'd be very hard for the r&d for consoles to keep up.

However they are cleverly specialized PCs. They have a smaller form factor than devices with similar power have, and use less power (watts), whilst having serious graphics chops, and a good media focus, and some specialized input devices.

It would be quite hard to replicate the exact same thing, even on the hardware level, with a pure PC. There is hades canyon, but it doesn't have a bluray drive or as powerful GPU hardware.

It's an interesting notion though; it would be cool if someone made something PC that was more console like. What if we could get something like the xbox, but actually just a PC? All that compact power and media capability, with just windows 10. I think a lot of geekier people would be into that.

Myself I'm using a miniPC barebones by ASUS as my PC. Doesn't game quite as well as a dedicated GPU, but it still games enough for my interests (as I said early I don't FPS, I like racing, top down rpg, platformers, puzzlers, and story driven stuff).

The compact form factor, low power useage, and low noise are very nice compared to a desktop. The strides that have been made in mobile chipsets in general, consider me a convert to the whole mini thing. And I don't think they need to be just for offices given mobile dedicated GPUs have also improved with gaming laptops. Cleaner for the living room, easier to deal with space wise. So if there was an 'xbox but PC' I'd probably be interested.

They should consider making a 'desktop windows' variant of the xbox. I doubt it would sell amazingly, but it would make a profit. If you built it with an IR remote, and sold it with controllers, people could build their own third-party launchers for it, for netflix, kodi, games etc.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 06-18-2019 at 02:32 AM.
    06-18-2019 01:31 AM
    I replied to your other post, but I guess it's too long. It's waiting for moderation approval.

[clip] [clip]
    Yea looked like our filters got a little overzealous! I approved the original and deleted the copy. :) Sorry about that!
    Guest_aotf likes this.
    06-18-2019 12:10 PM
    Myself I'm using a miniPC barebones by ASUS as my PC.
    Sounds like you have a good set up for your needs. Some of those mini PCs with the mobile BGA chips can do quite well for some games.

It's an interesting notion though; it would be cool if someone made something PC that was more console like.
    Well, a few examples:

Now, the downside to small form factor (SFF) PCs is your cable management usually has to be so spot on, it isn't even funny. There is no wasted space in SFF that sometimes even shorter custom cables might be needed. But, both of those cases can hold the same power as a full desktop PC. The Fractal Design Node 202 has been something I would like to build. I haven't gotten around to it because the storage limitations that are physically restricted by the case. I mean, it can be done, but that would be a media PC for me as opposed to a gaming one.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    06-18-2019 08:25 PM
    Sounds like you have a good set up for your needs. Some of those mini PCs with the mobile BGA chips can do quite well for some games.

Well, a few examples:

Now, the downside to small form factor (SFF) PCs is your cable management usually has to be so spot on, it isn't even funny. There is no wasted space in SFF that sometimes even shorter custom cables might be needed. But, both of those cases can hold the same power as a full desktop PC. The Fractal Design Node 202 has been something I would like to build. I haven't gotten around to it because the storage limitations that are physically restricted by the case. I mean, it can be done, but that would be a media PC for me as opposed to a gaming one.
    Yeah I've got just the asus pn61. It's the fastest i7 15TDP out atm (although i'm sure that'll be beat by the next gen), i7-8565U (4 cores, 1.8ghz base, 4.6ghz boost). I'm going to be running on offgrid solar next year, so power to power ratio was key. The processor is tight, handles writing music like a boss for eg which is big cpu use.

Good for cpu intensive games too. GPU is just a UHD 620, but those mobile gpus are getting better and better, so it's alright. Could have opted for the thunderbolt version of the asus if I wanted more, but it does the job I need gaming wise. Some third person like tomb raider, gta, assasins creed etc, and top down action rpg/tactic rpgs, puzzlers and 2.5d platformers mostly.

I cap the cpu slightly (95%) because if I let the leash out fully, it gets close to 100 degrees celcius under load (it's max temp), and the fan is pretty average too so starts to hum, and I like it quiet. Being use the desktop chipsets, IDK if that's normal but that was my instinct. Honestly I'd switch the fan for something with coolant bearing heat pipes and a fancier fan so I can let it rip, but I feel like these barebones are a bit proprietary and IDK if that can even be done. Where it is, is okay.

Unfortunately people rarely mod this sort of thing, so I wouldn't know where to get information on that.
    =================================================

That node case is dope as, with the horizontal/vertical shift for the graphics card, that's compact as for full desktop power in itx form. Very sweet.

You can get 2tbs intel m.2's cheap as chips on amazon etc. asus itx z370-i is dual m.2, so you could pack 4tb in there without taking up jack space. 4tb should be fine for gaming no? I got games, media, and still have about 1tb left out of 3tb. 5TB backup drive for extra unused goodies and backups, and that should be enough?

On thing I noticed running NVME m.2 is they run hot. Full write/read I get around 70 degrees. In future builds I'd probably get the heatsinks, because quite often it's the hottest thing in the box.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 06-19-2019 at 04:24 AM.
    06-19-2019 04:11 AM
    Yeah I've got just the asus pn61. It's the fastest i7 15TDP out atm (although i'm sure that'll be beat by the next gen), i7-8565U (4 cores, 1.8ghz base, 4.6ghz boost). I'm going to be running on offgrid solar next year, so power to power ratio was key. The processor is tight, handles writing music like a boss for eg which is big cpu use.

Good for cpu intensive games too. GPU is just a UHD 620, but those mobile gpus are getting better and better, so it's alright. Could have opted for the thunderbolt version of the asus if I wanted more, but it does the job I need gaming wise. Some third person like tomb raider, gta, assasins creed etc, and top down action rpg/tactic rpgs, puzzlers and 2.5d platformers mostly.

I cap the cpu slightly (95%) because if I let the leash out fully, it gets close to 100 degrees celcius under load (it's max temp), and the fan is pretty average too so starts to hum, and I like it quiet. Being use the desktop chipsets, IDK if that's normal but that was my instinct. Honestly I'd switch the fan for something with coolant bearing heat pipes and a fancier fan so I can let it rip, but I feel like these barebones are a bit proprietary and IDK if that can even be done. Where it is, is okay.

Unfortunately people rarely mod this sort of thing, so I wouldn't know where to get information on that.
    =================================================

That node case is dope as, with the horizontal/vertical shift for the graphics card, that's compact as for full desktop power in itx form. Very sweet.

You can get 2tbs intel m.2's cheap as chips on amazon etc. asus itx z370-i is dual m.2, so you could pack 4tb in there without taking up jack space. 4tb should be fine for gaming no? I got games, media, and still have about 1tb left out of 3tb. 5TB backup drive for extra unused goodies and backups, and that should be enough?

On thing I noticed running NVME m.2 is they run hot. Full write/read I get around 70 degrees. In future builds I'd probably get the heatsinks, because quite often it's the hottest thing in the box.
    Spent the last 30 minutes blueprinting a Node 202. I only put in 1 NVME drive, but found a 5TB Seagate, and put 2 in there, along with a 1660Ti GPU (I went with the newest card for the best bang for the buck, which in my opinion is the 1660).

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tqBYMZ

Edit: Forgot to mention that the watts is only 276. Not bad considering this is a desktop.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    06-19-2019 08:22 AM
    The obvious answer in the room is, not everyone wants to play on PC. Consoles will always have a place for at least the next 10 years.
    07-05-2019 11:04 AM
    Project xCloud is a major reason to own a Xbox specifically. Until a PC can act as a personal xCloud server then I can see consoles being around for the foreseeable future.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-07-2019 06:05 PM
    Project xCloud is a major reason to own a Xbox specifically. Until a PC can act as a personal xCloud server then I can see consoles being around for the foreseeable future.
    I don't get your post. Isn't the main feature of xCloud the ability to stream content to other devices?
    Meaning I could stream a xbox game without owning an actual xbox console.
    07-08-2019 02:35 PM
    I don't get your post. Isn't the main feature of xCloud the ability to stream content to other devices?
    Meaning I could stream a xbox game without owning an actual xbox console.
    You can as there will be a data centre that hosts the games, but the idea is that you won't NEED to if you own an Xbox as the Xbox can act a a personal xCloud server. This also means that should the data centre go offline for some reason then you won't have a problem streaming vs someone who doesn't own an Xbox.

Not only that but remember, xCloud is ONLY for games and not other content.
    07-08-2019 02:41 PM
    You can as there will be a data centre that hosts the games, but the idea is that you won't NEED to if you own an Xbox as the Xbox can act a a personal xCloud server. This also means that should the data centre go offline for some reason then you won't have a problem streaming vs someone who doesn't own an Xbox.

Not only that but remember, xCloud is ONLY for games and not other content.
    Wait, what you're talking is the remote play feature that the PS4 had for years now. I don't think that's really a major part of what XCloud is.

What your referring to is just being able to play your console on another devise over the internet like the PS4. It's nice that XB gamers will have this feature, but I don't think it's a very important feature...
    07-09-2019 03:22 PM
    Wait, what you're talking is the remote play feature that the PS4 had for years now. I don't think that's really a major part of what XCloud is.

What your referring to is just being able to play your console on another devise over the internet like the PS4. It's nice that XB gamers will have this feature, but I don't think it's a very important feature...
    According the everywhere I've read, the implementation on the PS is arse regarding streaming.
    neo158 likes this.
    07-11-2019 12:45 AM
    According the everywhere I've read, the implementation on the PS is arse regarding streaming.
    You really need to try it yourself before trying to make an opinion from "reading everywhere".
    ofc like all other streaming service it'll depend on the internet connections.
    Here it seems to be working quite well if internet speed is decent:

It's funny to see how huge feature becomes for company fans when the company they support introduce them even though the competition used to do it for years.
    We've seen it with cross-buy/cross-save, cross-play, local remote play and now online remote play and streaming.
    I've seen something similar with power and resolution suddenly becoming important in 2016-2017 or BC becoming vital after E3 2015. Now it looks like having loads of first party studio is once again important. And we'll see how exclusives will suddenly become important again after loads of people claimed they weren't important.
    07-14-2019 06:43 AM
    You really need to try it yourself before trying to make an opinion from "reading everywhere".

It's funny to see how huge feature becomes for company fans when the company they support introduce them even though the competition used to do it for years.
    We've seen it with cross-buy/cross-save, cross-play, local remote play and now online remote play and streaming.
    I've seen something similar with power and resolution suddenly becoming important in 2016-2017 or BC becoming vital after E3 2015. Now it looks like having loads of first party studio is once again important. And we'll see how exclusives will suddenly become important again after loads of people claimed they weren't important.
    Seems to me that you really don't like the Xbox, if so why are you in here?
    Drael646464 likes this.
    07-14-2019 06:51 AM
    Seems to me that you really don't like the Xbox, if so why are you in here?
    Oh so only people who likes XB and are fans of MS/XB are allowed to post?
    Sounds like dictatorship. Don't allow or censor critics. Only positivity and praise are allowed. ofc you are allowed and even encouraged to criticise the competition or opposition.
    07-14-2019 11:51 AM
    Oh so only people who likes XB and are fans of MS/XB are allowed to post?
    Sounds like dictatorship. Don't allow or censor critics. Only positivity and praise are allowed. ofc you are allowed and even encouraged to criticise the competition or opposition.
    Well, why are you here? I mean what pleasure do you derive from being here?
    07-14-2019 11:58 AM

Honestly, I'm pretty skeptical about microsoft's streaming too. I've not seen a single version of game streaming that hasn't required an unusually good connection, had bugs or generally left many users dissatisfied.

The video you linked: IDK which screen is the remote screen, but the one on the right looks bad (laggy). Even if it's good most of the time, if it's bad some of the time it's an issue. Heck, I can't get netflix etc streaming to work consistently, and most people have that issue. I use network cables wherever possible, and audio jacks. I like to be wired.

I don't hate playstation. I quite like the controllers. Some of the titles are swell. Swing whichever way hits your buttons.
    07-14-2019 12:01 PM
41 12