Xiaomi Mi4 (non-LTE version) running Windows 10 mobile

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Is there a chance that's gonna happen? Can't any "developer" out there somehow work around the existing image and make it work for the non-LTE-version? Is that illegal/ impossible/ difficult??

I'm just at that point where i need a new phone really bad. There's almost no chance I'll buy anything but a Windows Phone. Unfortunately Microsoft currently don't have anything in the mid range that suites my preferences. All of them are either:
1. Same looking. I mean EXACTLY the same looking. A look that has started taking over windows phones since the 640s, and i'm personally not a fan of it.
or
2. They don't deliver the internals compared to other phones in the same price range.

So the W10 ROM for Mi4 arrived at the perfect time....except, it doesn't support the non-LTE version. Bummer.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sure there's a chance, but since we don't have a peek behind the scenes its hard to tell. Is it being actively worked on? Is there a serious roadblock on the 3G model?

Your guess is probably as good as mine. Although I'm going to be skewed to the pessimistic side.

Devs can do great things, but still, it can be curbed by any number of things.

Is there something preventing you from picking up an LTE model?

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Is there something preventing you from picking up an LTE model?

Yup, I live in Bangladesh. We're still a good 40 years behind the rest of the world, in terms of tech and communications. So, no LTE support yet. And seeing how our comparatively-advanced neighbors (India) don't have it yet themselves, I don't see us getting it anytime soon.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I live in Bangladesh. We're still a good 40 years behind the rest of the world, in terms of tech and communications. So, no LTE support yet. And seeing how our comparatively-advanced neighbors (India) don't have it yet themselves, I don't see us getting it anytime soon.

But you could supposedly obtain an LTE model if that means a lot to you.

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
But you could supposedly obtain an LTE model if that means a lot to you.

That would be awesome. But I need a new phone to replace my current one. If I DO obtain an LTE Mi4, I won't be able to use it as my daily driver. I actually looked it up yesterday after posting this thread. 4G sim works on 3G phones, but not the other way around. At least that's what I read (please tell me if there's a workaround).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That would be awesome. But I need a new phone to replace my current one. If I DO obtain an LTE Mi4, I won't be able to use it as my daily driver. I actually looked it up yesterday after posting this thread. 4G sim works on 3G phones, but not the other way around. At least that's what I read (please tell me if there's a workaround).

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only downside to that situation is that you may need a new SIM to get LTE signal (which isn't there to begin with) but it would otherwise work on 3G.

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh that's interesting. Why do they have to make a separate device for LTE? I mean, this may be a noob question , but the iPhone 6 supports 4G too, but it's just one device, no separate device for non-4G. What's the point of making a separate one if they can just make one device that runs everything?

I'm asking you all this because the Xiaomi dealers here probably don't know a lot about this. The day MS and Xiaomi released the ROM, one retailer here posted on their facebook page that "Mi4 users can now run windows 10". I bet they don't even know it's exclusive for the LTE version, which they likely don't have.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh that's interesting. Why do they have to make a separate device for LTE? I mean, this may be a noob question , but the iPhone 6 supports 4G too, but it's just one device, no separate device for non-4G. What's the point of making a separate one if they can just make one device that runs everything?

I'm asking you all this because the Xiaomi dealers here probably don't know a lot about this. The day MS and Xiaomi released the ROM, one retailer here posted on their facebook page that "Mi4 users can now run windows 10". I bet they don't even know it's exclusive for the LTE version, which they likely don't have.

Probably a cost decision I would think.

Some phones are only available in LTE models or whatever, some in both 3G and LTE models. Perhaps its cheaper to omit LTE.

The iPhone only comes in one model kind of because its only available at one high price point and isn't really targeting places without LTE etc.

But of course, that's speculation by me.

Easwaran N

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site

3G sim will work on 4G phones for sure but am not sure if 4G sim will work on 3G phones (I think they will). But in both cases you will only get 3g speeds.
Regarding Windows 10 for MI4 LTE do understand that its an insider build so it may not be good idea to use it as your primary device

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
3G sim will work on 4G phones for sure but am not sure if 4G sim will work on 3G phones (I think they will). But in both cases you will only get 3g speeds.

If it DOES work that would be great. I'll have to ask my service provider.

Regarding Windows 10 for MI4 LTE do understand that its an insider build so it may not be good idea to use it as your primary device

I'm already running it on my 2-year-old lumia 520, and I've had a smooth ride so far. With the higher specs of the Mi4, I'm assuming the OS will be even smoother. Besides, if i run into any major hiccups I can always run the phone on Android (I'd hate it, but nevertheless), until things are sorted out.

Svetoslav Enkov

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
To confirm: I have Mi4 LTE with W10M 10586.63 (Insider fast). I am using 3G SIM, no problems. It works with 3G and 2G. My mobile operator have not yet 4G. I am very satisfied.
Got a LTE model and be calm, everything works, just check 2G/3G bands of course. I think it supports 2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 and 3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - almost worldwide...

They for unknown reason simply don't make a drivers set for 3G Mi4W version...
It is really impossible to flash LTE ROM on Mi4W - it bricks it.

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I am also using Mi4 LTE on same(last) insider build ...63 as my daily driver.
What an excellent device, works and responds faster than any other Nokia/MS phone I`ve tried, it lacks the "extras" and custom manufacturer`s apps still but everything else is near perfect. 4G LTE is faster than most Wi-Fi`s and the battery life is superb(more than 3000mAh). Wish MS and Xiaomi would continue to develop software for this and probably other devices(Mi5 with Win 10 mobile?)

Mike Jain

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Were you able to get the firmware update, or is it only a China thing?
Can you see 'Extras' under Settings? I can't. Want to turn off haptic feedback, hate it . . .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb