How does Zune work?

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Can I sync my music with my iTunes on my Mac, then transfer them to Zune on my PC? Or is there a way for me to transfer my music easily from my Mac to my PC?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If it doesn't have DRM, you can move the files ove to the Zune library. I put my old non DRM iTunes music on a sd card and moved them that way. Took about 10 minutes. I only had 3 gig of music.

If it is DRM iTunes songs, you'll have to burn mp3 cds first, then move them over to the Zune library.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember how exactly to do it, and I haven't had iTunes since the day WP7 came out so I can't look for it, but there is(was) a way to get iTunes to reformat your music to mp3s. When I did it I was left with the original copy, as well as an mp3 version, so I had to go and delete all of the original songs, but it was not that big of a deal.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
all one has to do is download and install a program called dbPoweramp and use it to convert all .MP3s to .wma pro format with a bitrate of 64k and sample rate of 48khz. doing this will provide better sound than an .mp3 at 192 and at 2/3 of the original file size.

kevynpm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've never messed with wma pro... will have to do some sound quality comparisons, but for most people, just go into Settings in the Zune software, tell it where to find your MP3 collection, and everything will just work.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
all one has to do is download and install a program called dbPoweramp and use it to convert all .MP3s to .wma pro format with a bitrate of 64k and sample rate of 48khz. doing this will provide better sound than an .mp3 at 192 and at 2/3 of the original file size.
Transcoding from one lossy format to another always results in quality loss. And increasing the sample rate won't increase the quality. Garbage in, garbage out. Lastly, MP3s encoded at 192kbps sound better than WMAs encoded at 64kbps. If you're worried about quality, it's best to keep the bitrates the same, if not higher.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If it doesn't have DRM, you can move the files ove to the Zune library. I put my old non DRM iTunes music on a sd card and moved them that way. Took about 10 minutes. I only had 3 gig of music.

If it is DRM iTunes songs, you'll have to burn mp3 cds first, then move them over to the Zune library.

I'll have to do that then, because some of my music is .mp4 and some is mp3. (is is .mp4 or something else? I can't remember!). Anyway thanks!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Transcoding from one lossy format to another always results in quality loss. And increasing the sample rate won't increase the quality. Garbage in, garbage out. Lastly, MP3s encoded at 192kbps sound better than WMAs encoded at 64kbps. If you're worried about quality, it's best to keep the bitrates the same, if not higher.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

wrong! that's only if u convert straight from MP3 to wma. if you convert to an uncompressed format such as .wav and then convert to wma afterwards there is no quality loss. I've done this to every MP3 I had and have noticed no noticeable decrease in sound quality but I have noticed a significant decrease in file size. and your lastly is only true of wma standard at the same sample rate but not wma pro.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I assume that the original author's music is in whatever goofy proprietary format mine was in when I used iTunes, so it is surely already in a lossy format, and just needs to be converted to a Windows Device-friendly format.

TricBox

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
iTunes uses an AAC format which is compatible with the phone. You do not need to change formats. As long as it is not AAC lossless. My collection is a mix of MP3 and AAC and have no problems. As far as the files are concened, best thing to have a NAS system set up so you can point your iTunes and Zune programs to that one location. This makes it easy when adding music to your collection. I usually add new music through iTunes first, Zune will automatically find the new file when opening it up and it checks the file for anything new added.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If his files are AAC with DRMhe must burn then rip. AAC is compatible, but it won't play
iTunes uses an AAC format which is compatible with the phone. You do not need to change formats. As long as it is not AAC lossless. My collection is a mix of MP3 and AAC and have no problems. As far as the files are concened, best thing to have a NAS system set up so you can point your iTunes and Zune programs to that one location. This makes it easy when adding music to your collection. I usually add new music through iTunes first, Zune will automatically find the new file when opening it up and it checks the file for anything new added.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes