Windows Phone Zune WMA Lossless Support?

digitalbath

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Does the Zune player built into Windows Phone 7 support music encoded in WMA Lossless format? Whenever I try to sync WMA Lossless files with my phone the Zune software always converts despite the fact that I have "Only convert media files that aren't supported by this device" checked. This site says it does support WMA Lossless Windows Phone 7 - Supported Media Codecs For Audio and Video

If it doesn't support it, are their plans to add support in Mango?

Voight-Kampff

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. WMA Lossless is supposed to be supported, but Zune always converts.

VBR Quality 100, 44/48kHz, 2 channel 24/16 bit VBR

I've tried these combinations but all of them are converted in Zune. From 25mb files to 5mb files. Very annoying.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
so much for that website -whatever it is.

Mango did not change lossless support.

BTW, a ~40MB lossless-rip file coverts or truncates to ~18 MB on my Zune HD, and ~11MB on my Focus. They both still sound great considering the little devices we're using.

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
According to Nokia (Nokia Lumia 800 Specifications - Nokia - UK) the Lumia supports WMA lossless, but Zune converts a 25mb file to 5mb on transfer. It does NOT sound great. I contacted @ZuneSupport and they told me the max bitrate on WP is 320kbps. Which is FAR from Lossless. I don't know what Nokia is playing at.

Maybe the hardware supports it, but Windows Phone doesn't? *shrugs*

You can tell the difference between 320kbps lossy format and lossless? Must have good ears.

I can't unfortunately. :( Though that might be a good thing depending on how you look at it.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe the hardware supports it, but Windows Phone doesn't? *shrugs*

You can tell the difference between 320kbps lossy format and lossless? Must have good ears.

I can't unfortunately. :( Though that might be a good thing depending on how you look at it.

Possibly the case that the hardware does. If true, maybe Nokia knows something we don't. heh.

Or he has good equipment. Sometimes that's the difference in hearing the depth in the reproduction. I can't wait until the move away from lossy formats.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Possibly the case that the hardware does. If true, maybe Nokia knows something we don't. heh.

Or he has good equipment. Sometimes that's the difference in hearing the depth in the reproduction. I can't wait until the move away from lossy formats.

Yeah, all I have are Monster Pro Turbine Coppers. Maybe he has like $1000 headphones with an amp. :p

It'd be nice if the online music stores would sell lossless versions but for now we're stuck with MP3, AAC, and WMA. Unfortunately, the music industry moves at a snail's pace--they always resist change. Moreover, storage may still be an issue. 16GB on a phone isn't enough for a lossless music collection. Lastly, lossless won't mean anything if people continue to use stock headphones.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, all I have are Monster Pro Turbine Coppers. Maybe he has like $1000 headphones with an amp. :p

It'd be nice if the online music stores would sell lossless versions but for now we're stuck with MP3, AAC, and WMA. Unfortunately, the music industry moves at a snail's pace--they always resist change. Moreover, storage may still be an issue. 16GB on a phone isn't enough for a lossless music collection. Lastly, lossless won't mean anything if people continue to use stock headphones.

Haha, well I just have a pair of SR-60s and MS-1's so maybe you're right about your ears :p

Someone's gotta make a move with Neil Young. He'd help push it through. Storage and bandwidth are definitely a problem, maybe bandwidth more considering how many people like to stream music. Storage isn't so bad because it can be pretty cheap. Two big problems are stock headphones plus lossy formats.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Haha, well I just have a pair of SR-60s and MS-1's so maybe you're right about your ears :p

Someone's gotta make a move with Neil Young. He'd help push it through. Storage and bandwidth are definitely a problem, maybe bandwidth more considering how many people like to stream music. Storage isn't so bad because it can be pretty cheap. Two big problems are stock headphones plus lossy formats.

Well, it'll be either storage or bandwidth. Storage is getting cheaper, but that's no help if phones come out with 16GB of memory, and don't have expandable storage. You're right though, bandwidth is probably the bigger problem. With lots of people streaming music and other media like YouTube and Netflix, and with Sprint being the only carrier to still have unlimited data plans, something's got to give.

I'm not so sure what can be done about stock headphones, because if people aren't using their stock headphones, it those Beats headphones, which honestly, aren't that great for the price that they probably paid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos