Zune Just Removed 771 Songs from My Device

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I synced my Arrive just now and Zune removed 771 songs. I tried to add some albums from my collection and many of them are gone. The ones I did drag to my device failed to sync.

Is the Zune service giving anybody else problems?

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I figured out what was going on. This is a pain, so I'll share what happened for people who store their music on a media server.

My computer lost connection with my media server. Zune didn't see the files for the music in my collection so it removed it from my device. It didn't matter if the licenses were up to date or anything. If it can't see it in your collection, you can't have it on your device aparently.

The moral is if you store your music on a media server, make sure you're logged in to see it, and if you unexpectedly lose connection, you'll have to wait for Zune to remove your entire connection and later wait for Zune to re-transfer your entire collectoin.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Curious. Do you have Zune syncing a music folder automatically? I selected individual albums to sync and don't use a media server but may experiment to see what happens if I move an album to another location.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Curious. Do you have Zune syncing a music folder automatically? I selected individual albums to sync and don't use a media server but may experiment to see what happens if I move an album to another location.

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't know of a setting in Zune to tell it to sync or not to sync. I pointed it to the Music folder on my media server for music, photos and videos. It automatically looks there for my media and stores there when I buy or download something. This computer has Windows 7, which shows both local and media server files in the Windows 7 library. So when I look at my music library it shows both the C: drive and my media server.

There is another annoying thing that happens when my computer loses connection with the media server. If I buy or download something, rather than warning me that my default folder is not available, it just decides for itself where to store the files. So I have to go looking for the files in the Windows 7 library to move them to the media server later.

But when I do move them back to my media server, Zune automatically finds them and updates the collection. I just move the folders in Windows Explorer and Zune does the rest.

Windows 7 is actually really good about using the media server. In fact, if you use a common username and password between the two, it's seemless. This started happening when I installed Serviio Media Server add-in on my media server. I uninstalled it and hopefully that fixes the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon