12-12-2011 04:31 PM
27 12
tools
    Seem very simliar. Anyone have extensive use of both?
    07-18-2011 08:24 PM
    I wonder this too. I have become quite the Zune user. I am thinking of asking my wife/kids to let my pay for a Zune Pass year's worth for my birthday. :p

I got a Spotify invite, but I downloaded the player and I hate it. It pushes Facebook in my face, and none of my firends like my kind of music. Plus it doesn't integrate with my phone.

I dunno, I mostly wonder why Spotify gets such adoring press, but Zune is completely ignored or actively maligned, for offering an extremely similar service, but one that also integrates into your phone, MP3 player, and television? No comprendo.
    Last edited by jalb; 07-19-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    07-19-2011 06:37 PM
    If you're a WP user, I'd say stick with Zune, seamless integration and you can keep 10 songs a month. Spotify does have a couple Million more songs than Zune though last I read. On Windows phone though, I still think Zune is and will be king.
    08-14-2011 11:36 PM
    yepp, zune is and will be king if you have a WP7. 15 USD is also less than 99SEK (price for spotify in Sweden) and you get to keep 10 songs. For iPhone or Android users are spotify the better choice.
    08-17-2011 06:01 PM
    I would do Zune mainly because it's better integrated into WP7. I tried using Last.fm for a month and while it was nice, it was annoying the app would quit when you respond to a text message or have to look something up.

I can't wait for Mango because from what I understand I'll be able to do Smart DJ streaming. I like listening to similar artists when trying to look for new music.
    08-17-2011 07:20 PM
    i'd like to bring this topic back to life. since the last comment, zune pass has dropped $5/month, bringing both services to the same $10/month, and the spotify wp7 app has been released. thoughts?
    11-10-2011 05:51 PM
    Now Zune is crappy like Spotify. Unless Nokia Music comes to the US with the same deal they get in Europe (offline play in the free version, which is the only thing that sets it apart from all these "pay for a radio" services), I'll just keep buying CD's and using Last.fm.

Edit: The reason I say it is crappy now is because with the price drop came a change in the feature set - you can no longer keep ten songs a month.
    11-10-2011 07:56 PM
    Now Zune is crappy like Spotify. Unless Nokia Music comes to the US with the same deal they get in Europe (offline play in the free version, which is the only thing that sets it apart from all these "pay for a radio" services), I'll just keep buying CD's and using Last.fm.

Edit: The reason I say it is crappy now is because with the price drop came a change in the feature set - you can no longer keep ten songs a month.
    I actually welcome the drop in price. I don't care much for keeping songs in my HD or phone. I much rather stream or download and delete when done or tired of the songs. Most months I scramble to find songs I wanted to keep, but then eventually just started buying whatever Zune suggested. Some months I even forget to keep songs.

A month before the price drop, I cancelled my account. Now I am considering going back, but I really like the FB integration of Spotify. I love going through my FB friend's playlist and discovering new music that way. I don't make or share my own playlists, so I'm more of a consumer than contributor.

Needless to say, I still haven't decided: To Zune or Spotify?
    11-10-2011 08:37 PM
    at first I thought the loss of 10 songs a month would be a detriment, but having the $100 for a year is way worth it. I spend way more than $100 on itunes/cds/amazon in a year, so I'm saving a bundle using Zune.
    11-14-2011 12:10 PM
    Spotify is it only streaming? can you download songs?
    11-14-2011 12:12 PM
    You can download tracks on Spotify same as Zune, any comparisons of library? Im pretty much stumped which to go for...

on the one hand Spotify has the Facebook integration and it's nice to share things with those not on WP7.

...Zune a pound cheaper and can webstream as well as to XBox. Think I'll plump for Zune and see how I get on. (They really should be getting onto Facebook on this one, MS have had such a good relationship with Facebook before).

May sound crazy but think they should consider opening up Zune to the other platforms too. I know its nice to have this exclusivity but if they make a damn nice android & iPhone app, which gets people interested, maybe it would actually bring consumers to Windows Phone in the long run.
    11-27-2011 01:02 PM
    Spotify has the biggest track library of them all, 2 million more than Zune.

You will find tons of music not on Zune sHAYM4N.

Spotify vs the World: 10 Streaming Music Services Compared - Tested

:)
    Duvi likes this.
    11-27-2011 02:07 PM
    Yep. Spotify has a lot of things going on for it. I use it across all my iDevices and my WP.
    11-28-2011 10:09 AM
    So how can a small company like Spotify have more songs than a larger company like Microsoft. What is MS doing wrong here?

Sent from my {HTC Trophy} using Board Express
    11-28-2011 10:53 AM
    Valid Question.....
    11-28-2011 11:13 AM
    So how can a small company like Spotify have more songs than a larger company like Microsoft. What is MS doing wrong here?

Because several major music labels are stockholders in Spotify.
    11-28-2011 12:02 PM
    That would explain it.

12-01-2011 09:16 AM
    On my jailbroken iPhone 4, I use Grooveshark exclusively. Granted, that doesn't do me any good elsewhere since every app store/marketplace has rejected GS for obvious legal reasons.

On my Focus, I use the integrated zune. It took a while to get a hang of the desktop software, library organization and such, but eventually I got it tweaked to my taste. The zune marketplace has a great feature that I haven't seen anywhere else; it lets you pick your payment method before the purchase. Without manipulation to an apple id (for example) prior to even initiating the purchase, the bill goes to wherever the default is. But with Zune, I can click buy, then click payment method, and select from my credit card, ATT market, or my debit. Depending on my financial status, or whether or not I've paid ATT for the month and don't want to deal with the inconvenience..etc, I can choose how to pay on the spot, without the bother of leaving the marketplace to change an account's default payment method.
    12-07-2011 07:13 PM
    I pay $15/mo for Zune and never use my 10 songs, nor do I even listen to Zune. I should either cancel my subscription or pay for the year to save.
    12-07-2011 08:17 PM
    I pay $15/mo for Zune and never use my 10 songs, nor do I even listen to Zune. I should either cancel my subscription or pay for the year to save.
    duvi, you need a financial advisor. ;) You can switch to a 9.95 plan, and yes, save even more with an annual plan for $100. I do use my 10 song credits and will be sticking with the $150 annual plan. I figure that at about a dollar a song, I'm paying a net $2.50 a month for the 4500 tracks I've downloaded so far on 5 devices. Daaang... I need to pinch myself regularly to confirm that I'm not dreaming.
    12-08-2011 09:44 PM
    Zune and thee Zune Pass work GREAT for me, but I did investigate Spotify as an option when it became more available here. Given my current understanding, Spotify has, or seems to have, at least three no-thank-you characteristics that clash with my music listening -a seriously enjoyable part of my life.

a) The service is heavily integrated with facebook. You need to provide or sign up for a fb account to install and run Spotify. That is a central part of the company's business model and software. The point is to project the spotify brand, and your listening habits to fb. You can enable a privacy feature, but it disables every six hours and each time you shut down. Even when listening with others, music listening is still an intimate not public activity for me. I share, but on my own terms, and the Zune social feature is unintrusive and fully optional.

b) Spotify only lets you play designated (by you) playlists for offline listening, rather than your entire collection of downloaded music.

c) Spotify limits you to playing your music on one device at a time.

I may have mis-read or miss-understood these characteristics, so please correct as necessary. Regardless of your preferred sources and habits, enjoy the music. ;)
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 12-08-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    12-08-2011 10:29 PM
    c) Spotify limits you to playing your music on one device at a time.
    all very good points, although I have experienced issues with streaming music using Zune from my Windows Phone and then moving to the Zune client on my PC and getting an error message indicating that I cannot stream from more than one place (even though I had actually stopped playback on my phone).

I'm not sure if that's the scenario you were referring to. I still much prefer Zune over Spotify. Only little complaint would be the song library. I was really excited to listen to The Black Keys new album and was bummed to find that it wasnt available for streaming, my girlfriend (an AVID Spotify user) did have it available. I have to say I was a little miffed about that.
    12-10-2011 02:59 AM
    I prefer Spotify for many reasons. First, Spotify has a much larger library than Zune Pass, almost 16 million songs in its catalog. Compared to 11 million on Zune Pass. That's a lot! Besides, Zune Pass does not even have Willie Nelson whatsoever, that's a deal breaker for me.

Another reason, I can take Spotify with me where ever, on my iPad, on my Titan, on my iPhone, on my Mac, on my PC. I can access my playlists anywhere. With Zune, on my Titan, on my Xbox, or my PC. Xbox I'd useless for me, I don't turn on my TV to listen to music. So WP and my PC only really.

Spotify is social. Yes it loves to integrate with Facebook and I really do not understand why some WP owners would not want this? The one super selling point of the WP over droid and iOS is how well integrated Windows Phone is with Facebook. A phone designed around being social first! Why wouldn't you want that too with music? It's really cool sharing songs, albums, and playlists with friends and family and visa versa. Zune Pass has no social integration, I hope someday that changes.

Then of course, you have to look at which service is going places and which is not. Let's be real, Zune Pass is stagnet and has been for a long time. Spotify is trending up big time just in the few short months it has been in the US. I fully expect it to catch up and even surpass iTunes by this time next year. Plus the new apps integrated in will be very cool.

So what does Zune Pass offer? Well, on WP it offers a live tile that shows the last band you listened too, and a lock screen that does the same. Sorry Microsoft, you got to bring it a little harder than this if you seriously want to compete with music services like iTunes and Spotify.
    12-10-2011 08:35 PM
    all very good points, although I have experienced issues with streaming music using Zune from my Windows Phone and then moving to the Zune client on my PC and getting an error message indicating that I cannot stream from more than one place (even though I had actually stopped playback on my phone).

I'm not sure if that's the scenario you were referring to. I still much prefer Zune over Spotify. Only little complaint would be the song library. I was really excited to listen to The Black Keys new album and was bummed to find that it wasnt available for streaming, my girlfriend (an AVID Spotify user) did have it available. I have to say I was a little miffed about that.
    Yes, XtianAstro, I only claimed that you can play the collections on your devices simultaneously, not stream: you can only stream on one at a time. I don't believe you can do that on Spotify, perhaps because [B]I think[B] you have to login to fb/spotify with every listen.

As for the Black Keys's El Camino: that was just released on Tuesday. You can stream the lead track. Maybe Nonesuch hasn't returned the paperwork yet. :) Actually, with spotify owned 18% by the 3 majors (nonnsuch is part of Warner), it's going to be interesting to see how distribution is affected, if at all. BTW, Indies have been leaving Spotify, reportedly because of the miserable fees it pays. But, it's early and a lot will be changing. BTW, you can stream one of my favorite music videos -Tighten Up from the Brothers album: Can your girlfriend do that? ;) Enjoy the music!
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 12-12-2011 at 10:06 PM.
    12-12-2011 02:42 PM
    If you also have an Xbox, Zune totally outshines Spotify.
    12-12-2011 02:45 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD