Zune pass for Android and iPhone

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I wish MS would make a Zune Pass app for other OS's like they do Bing. Then I could really use it all the time no matter what phone i'm on. Plus I think it would introduce a lot of people to the zune player, which looks great. Maybe then they would be less scared to try WP.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Zune is better off staying on MS only products. MS can't afford to shop around every piece of software they have. It devalues their products while making the competition superior. Bing is only on multiple platforms to compete against Google. And even then it won't have nearly the same integration that Bing has on WP7.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Zune is the best feature on Wp7. I hope they dont offer it to other platforms.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Zune is the best feature on Wp7. I hope they dont offer it to other platforms.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

If you want WP to take off we need people from iOS and Android to migrate over their media libraries.
Right now we have many people with pirated or old copied music on their computers. iTunes sucks with importing that data. Those people have spent a lot of time TRYING to get album art, removing all the duplicates, sorting their artist/albums. Why would they switch and go through the pain in the a$$ of updating all that info AGAIN in Zune.

If they had Zune Pass on their iPhone they'd get comfortable with using it, pay MS $16/month (market share grows for MS), and get flawless media libraries that aren't illegal and pirated. It'll stream to their Xbox, they'll pay for an Xbox Live Gold account, they'll want Live mobile games... Why not give them a taste... Get them hooked on the eco-system, convince them all the cool kids are doing it...
Here's what they currently think of WP7 and Zune
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-general-discussion/180237.htm

Anyway.. I think we need people to get comfortable with MS and Zune. I think giving other users access to our best feature will help change their opinion on Windows Phone and Zune.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If you want WP to take off we need people from iOS and Android to migrate over their media libraries.
Right now we have many people with pirated or old copied music on their computers. iTunes sucks with importing that data. Those people have spent a lot of time TRYING to get album art, removing all the duplicates, sorting their artist/albums. Why would they switch and go through the pain in the a$$ of updating all that info AGAIN in Zune.

If they had Zune Pass on their iPhone they'd get comfortable with using it, pay MS $16/month (market share grows for MS), and get flawless media libraries that aren't illegal and pirated. It'll stream to their Xbox, they'll pay for an Xbox Live Gold account, they'll want Live mobile games... Why not give them a taste... Get them hooked on the eco-system, convince them all the cool kids are doing it...
Here's what they currently think of WP7 and Zune
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-general-discussion/180237.htm

Anyway.. I think we need people to get comfortable with MS and Zune. I think giving other users access to our best feature will help change their opinion on Windows Phone and Zune.

If you give other platforms the best features of your own what reason do they have to try your own platform?

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
If you give other platforms the best features of your own what reason do they have to try your own platform?

We suck them into the eco-system. It shows them MS isn't as evil as everyone else thinks. They might not just instantly dismiss the WP on the phone store shelf. If their best media library is in Zune and not iTunes, there's less holding them to their iOS platform.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
heck, the Apple App Store would probably deny the app anyway, so at a minimum MS would get some media love from it when the press finds out.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be a horrible idea. They are already releasing apps for iOS and Android. But Zune Pass is the bread and butter of WP7/Zune. I don't see how this could work out well for WP7.
We suck them into the eco-system. It shows them MS isn't as evil as everyone else thinks. They might not just instantly dismiss the WP on the phone store shelf. If their best media library is in Zune and not iTunes, there's less holding them to their iOS platform.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

What ecosystem is left when you've given it all away? And why do they need a Zune pass to use the Zune software to manage their media library? Anything non-apple drm will be seen by Zune just fine, and wont need any metadata to be updated. Give it all away and WP7 has no USP. Why buy it then?

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be a horrible idea. They are already releasing apps for iOS and Android. But Zune Pass is the bread and butter of WP7/Zune. I don't see how this could work out well for WP7.

You can't see how a million more Zune Pass subscribers paying $16/month could help lower the costs for Zune Pass, get more songs available on Zune Pass and help with MS's negative image? Plus be very convenient for me :)

Did you listen to the last WPCentral podcast? The non WP7 host said he really wanted Zune Pass (sorry I can't remember his name! lol).

Or... We can just wait for Pandora on WP7 and watch everyone continue to use that instead on every OS.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
IMO, that would take away from people buying WP7 phones. Hardware sales are important. That's why Apple doesn't allow OSX to run on non-Apple hardware.
You can't see how a million more Zune Pass subscribers paying $16/month could help lower the costs for Zune Pass, get more songs available on Zune Pass and help with MS's negative image? Plus be very convenient for me :)

Did you listen to the last WPCentral podcast? The non WP7 host said he really wanted Zune Pass (sorry I can't remember his name! lol).

Or... We can just wait for Pandora on WP7 and watch everyone continue to use that instead on every OS.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
What ecosystem is left when you've given it all away? And why do they need a Zune pass to use the Zune software to manage their media library? Anything non-apple drm will be seen by Zune just fine, and wont need any metadata to be updated. Give it all away and WP7 has no USP. Why buy it then?

Non DRM...? Did I miss something... Did Apple remove DRM from all their paid music?

We are not giving away the eco-system by letting them try Zune Pass and Bing search. We are only giving them a taste. There's no compelling reason for Android or Apple users to try Bing search if Google is built in. I love WP7 and Bing, but the built in Google search works fine on other OS's.

It's an app for them, it's built in to our WP7. they can go download 95% of their paif for iTunes music for free with their Zune Pass and just forget about their iTunes investment. It's a hassle for them to update and manage iTunes when they could just have Zune. We have a ton of other cool features nobody will ever see if they don't try and like MS again first.

How else can you figure we seperate them from their investments AND convince them that MS isn't so bad...? Got a better idea? Oh yeah... Adds on TV... Who the heck watches those now days (DVR).

One last thing: I think it would be easy as heck to convert people on Android with no really good music solution to Zune. Plus many Android users are sick of Android and just don't know how awesome Zune and WP7 are. They'd switch after having the Zune app... I'd bet at least $5 on it. :)

Last edited:

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Non DRM...? Did I miss something... Did Apple remove DRM from all their paid music?

Long ago.

Can't use bing search. Can't filter by time/date which is something I use in google daily. If they added that one little thing I could use it regularly. As it stands now it is useless for me.

I also hate the zune software. It's just a mess. Hate it. I've been trying. I have it installed on 3 of my computers right now. I'm trying to like it. I just don't. But i'd still like to see it on other platforms.
Microsoft is bringing their voice technology, lync, to android and ios so why not zune?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I completely agree with you gekkoace! I don't think it will hurt wp7 sales at all. People who are fed up of Android or iOS or BB or whatever, will try WP7. Zune on Android will do little to change the fact that it's laggy and freezes. So people who are content with that won't switch regardless if they have zune or not. Those who are looking to switch will more than likely try WP, because they already have zune. Or at least consider it when they did not before. So in the end it can only help, not hurt.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

We are not giving away the eco-system by letting them try Zune Pass and Bing search. We are only giving them a taste. There's no compelling reason for Android or Apple users to try Bing search if Google is built in. I love WP7 and Bing, but the built in Google search works fine on other OS's.

It's an app for them, it's built in to our WP7. they can go download 95% of their paif for iTunes music for free with their Zune Pass and just forget about their iTunes investment. It's a hassle for them to update and manage iTunes when they could just have Zune. We have a ton of other cool features nobody will ever see if they don't try and like MS again first.

How else can you figure we seperate them from their investments AND convince them that MS isn't so bad...? Got a better idea? Oh yeah... Adds on TV... Who the heck watches those now days (DVR).

One last thing: I think it would be easy as heck to convert people on Android with no really good music solution to Zune. Plus many Android users are sick of Android and just don't know how awesome Zune and WP7 are. They'd switch after having the Zune app... I'd bet at least $5 on it. :)

Your idea only works if Microsoft has a superior eco system than Android/iOS. They do not. Stripping WP7 bare only makes the competition stronger. No one is going to switch if they have a great eco system AND music player.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Your idea only works if Microsoft has a superior eco system than Android/iOS. They do not. Stripping WP7 bare only makes the competition stronger. No one is going to switch if they have a great eco system AND music player.

I disagree. Eco-system includes other devices.. What does Android have? A bunch of buggy phones, the Samsung Galexy Tab 10.1, Chrome and Google Docs? Oh wait.. the browser on Android isn't even Chrome...

We've got Zune, Office, Live, Skydrive, Xbox, Windows, Silverlight, IE9... MS is working their butts off to make the eco-system better. They had to keep the brakes on until the anti-trust lawsuits were over. They've come back fighting since though. I'd be laughed out of the office if I tried to use Google docs to make a powerpoint presentation, my college professors wouldn't accept a non native Word.docx file, and Android is infected with all kinds of malware.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft should first bring Zune Pass to all current and potential WP7 users, i.e. Canada among others! I'm not sure of the problem...is it licensing and Canadian copyright policy? Honestly I wouldn't even mind a limited selection of music through Zune (similar to Netflix), but give me something to at least make my WP7 device feel complete, albeit imperfectly.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. Eco-system includes other devices.. What does Android have? A bunch of buggy phones, the Samsung Galexy Tab 10.1, Chrome and Google Docs? Oh wait.. the browser on Android isn't even Chrome...

A bias attitude doesn't change the fact that Microsoft has a much smaller eco-system than Apple/Google. Microsoft would be foolish to give up the few advantages they have.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The ecosystem is more than what's on the phone.

Being able to sync several different kinda of devices, like Xbox and windows 8 makes for some cool integration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb