Why does Zune use more CPU than iTunes?

trmnta82

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I installed Zune on my computer while I'm waiting for my new windows phone to arrive. My first impressions are really good. I like the look of it and importing my iTunes library went smoothly. I might also be imagining things but I thought the audio quality is way better, basically I can play at a lower volume than in iTunes. So far so good...

However, my computer seems to go into complete overdrive when I'm running Zune. It sounds like a fighter jet and CPU is up to 85-95%, it starts skipping in the playback if I dare use my browser at the same time...

Any ideas what's wrong, or is this normal? I don't have these problems with iTunes. To be fair, my computer is 2 years old but I don't really want to get a new one quite yet.

Thanks!

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I definitely had the same experience as the OP. But i loved Zune and the displays so much, I couldn't go back.

I ended up getting a new pc, I have needed one for some time anyhow, and since getting a new pc I have no problems, but my old one was from 2005 that I've just been working and tweaking on over the years.

but yeah, the OP is on point on all issues listed

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It does feel sluggish on mine, too, but c'mmon, my PC is from 2007 and it was already old by then. I just fell in love with it, so I couldn't go back to ugly iTunes. My iPods have been unused since then...

The Liaison

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
The UI is so much better. I love the way Zune looks but it doesn't have the easiest way to use.

Sent from my {Samsung Focus S} using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My PC is about 4 yrs old, but my graphics card is only 2 yrs old. I've had no problems. So it may not be a big CPU user unless you are using integrated graphics.

If you don't want to buy a whole new PC, you could probably get decent Zune performance by sticking in a $99 Nvidia or ATI/AMD graphics card.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I got a new rig for Christmas and Zune runs oh so smoothly :D

Oh, and I can see the different 'patterns' on the background now, thanks to my new display.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I got a new rig for Christmas and Zune runs oh so smoothly :D

Oh, and I can see the different 'patterns' on the background now, thanks to my new display.

I'm jealous. I had to turn Zune all the way down so it would run smoother. I really miss the visualised levels behind the song info, it's such a nice touch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05