Phone won't show up! :(

samw40

May 5, 2012
Visit site
So I plugged my Samsung Focus on AT&T in using the normal cord into my PC (Windows 7 32-bit, specs are fine), and it didn't show up. So I followed the normal procedure, unplugged it, restarted the phone, plugged it back it. Still nothing. I tried 3 different USB ports, nothing worked. I just said, "Please connect phone" in the Zune program, and it didn't appear or even recognize it anywhere in Explorer. I restarted my computer, and when I logged in again, it said "Failed to install driver" in the notification area. I clicked on it and got a message saying "Device driver software was not successfully installed", so I clicked the "What can I do if my device will not install properly" and followed all the instructions, except system restore. In the system restore window, it shows two recent updates installed to my PC. Could these be what are causing the problem? And if I restore, won't it just auto-update again? Also, I reinstalled Zune already, and it was just working less than a week ago. Any help would be appreciated!

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My wife's launch Focus had that issue (exactly that issue) last month. It will charge, but won't sync (although Windows "sees" a device plug in).

USB port is faulty, and you will need a replacement. Hopefully you're up for a new phone, or you have insurance on the device from the carrier so you can get a replacement (AT&T replaced my wife's Focus with a Focus S, and it didn't impact the upgrade date either, which is today :p).

md_minhaj

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Even I was facing the same problem with my focus flash.

Try this: In zune, goto settings > software > xbox 360 > check all the checkboxes (music, video,..), name your collection , click on 'share with all available xbox 360 consoles' and click 'ok'. All the best :)

Don't know what's the real problem but the above procedure worked for me.

samw40

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Sigh... Well it says there is no driver for the USB cable. Which would lead me to believe there is a problem with the cable, but I don't know why since it really hasn't taken much damage. @cluberti I sure hope that isn't the problem lol, I don't get an upgrade until July. @md_minhaj That didn't do anything... xD. I'm gonna boot into my old XP hard drive and try it out. It'll be a pain though since I haven't used it in over a year and it's literally void of any programs/files. But whatever. :p

EDIT: Exact same problem on XP. So either 3 of my USB ports died simultaneously, there's some massive glitch with the driver, or my phone is broken. I'm going to contact Samsung... ergh this is so irritating. Do you think they'd replace my phone, with like a refurbished one maybe? I've never dealt with Samsung before so I don't know.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
im having that issue right now , ZUNE wont see my FOCUS any more :( ... my PC tried to open it as a mass storage then fails ( cause its not a Mass storage , lol ) then I get driver errors..\

im using windows 7 as well.

weird cause it worked yesterday.

samw40

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Dear Sam,

Thank you for your inquiry and we aplologize for not having your Samsung Focus™ Windows Smartphone (SGH-I917) on the list, due to our website is currently updating.

We understand that the phone is stopped recognize on your computer as well on using Zune software. We also understand that you've already done several troubleshooting steps to resolve the concern and it's still not working.

You may try to temporarily disable the firewall and antivirus of the computer for this is a possible cause of blocking the connection between the phone and the computer.

If it's still not working after disabling the firewall and antivirus, you may call our Samsung Customer Support Center, as they can further assist you on this concern in a timely manner than we could through this email.

Most concerns may be resolved over the phone with our technical agents by doing minimal troubleshooting procedure. At your earliest convenience, please call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Well that didn't help at all.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Note I tried multiple cables, multiple PCs, and multiple phones (I had a focus at the time as well). Nothing worked, and the AT&T rep mentioned that this was one of the common failure / replacement scenarios for that device. I wish you luck, but be prepared to make sure your data is backed up. That USB port design on the original Focus was crap.

samw40

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Note I tried multiple cables, multiple PCs, and multiple phones (I had a focus at the time as well). Nothing worked, and the AT&T rep mentioned that this was one of the common failure / replacement scenarios for that device. I wish you luck, but be prepared to make sure your data is backed up. That USB port design on the original Focus was crap.

It's all backed up, yes. Except... MY PvZ DATA! NO!!!

But yeah, I'll probably take it to AT&T. This kinda sucks. I'm going to get an iPhone this summer.

perbear

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I have similar problem but it is not with Zune but the computers not finding a removable device. I don't know how long this has been going on but it does not work with several USB cables and several computers. My phone is also a Samsung, an Omnia 7, first generation phone with Mango. Could it be a that Samsung has fixed or unfixed something and as a result computers don't connect the phone as a single removable device but need Zune to sync it?

At times when I connect my phone it takes an awful lot of time before Zune recognizes a synced phone. When that happens I usually click on the USB icon as if I want to remove it safely and Zune will find the phone and sync it. But outside Zune my computer does not recognize the phone, which is annoying when you want to transfer pictures or videos from the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99