Zune Pass is basically dead...(emal from MS)

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Just got this email from MS:

Dear CJ Thunder:

As we prepare for the exciting launch of Xbox Music later this fall, we want to make you aware of some pending changes to the Zune Music service that will be made on August 31st.

Specifically, the following features will no longer be available:

?Sending and receiving messages, inviting friends, sharing the songs, playlists, and albums you are listening to, and viewing past play history
?Mixview playback and channel playlists
?Apps for Zune HD
?Purchasing music videos or streaming them as a part of Zune Music Pass from the Zune PC software
?Re-downloading, re-activating, or re-licensing previously purchased music videos if / when you upgrade your PC

These changes will NOT affect music streaming or downloading as part of Zune Music Pass, impact songs that you have purchased from Zune Marketplace, or change your ability to stream music videos on Xbox 360.

We thank you for being an important part of the Zune Music community.

Soon we?ll have more to share about Xbox Music, our brand new service that lets you access the music you care about on Xbox, phones, and tablets, plus a whole lot more.

Sincerely,

The Zune Music Team

I pay $15 a month and it looks like it is turning into more of a spotify competitor with no "buying" from Zune pass.

What do you guys think?

Wilt

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Just got the same email - no changes to the zune pass music downloading which, in my opinion, is the most important part so I'm happy to see how this plays out before making too much of a fuss.

If it becomes streaming only, though, i'm out.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm right here with you... although I haven't received this email yet. I'm a $15 Zune Pass subscriber, so I still get the 10 free songs/month, and I have about 8000 subscriber songs, so I use my credits, which means I pay $5/month for 8000 songs... in other words, less than a penny per song per month.

I never really stream or watch music videos, so this doesn't bother me much, but I'm curious about what the future of Zune Pass will be. My hunch: our $15/month plan was discontinued about a year ago, so we are just grandfathered into it. Current plans are much cheaper but already have the announced stipulations.

My hunch is that the cheaper plans will stay as-is. Our plan will be replaced with a better plan that includes an allotment of TV/movie rentals in addition to music. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I want to believe this is true... it more closely mirrors what Amazon is doing with Amazon Prime, and it continues to slap iTunes in the face.

UPDATE: I just got the email while I was writing this, lol. So now I'm also considering that since this is exclusively Xbox Music, there will be a separate Xbox Videos service option.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Aside from the loss of mixview and channel playlists (both of which were rarely used), there's no change for me. I'm going to coast on with my $15 Zune Pass account as it transitions into Xbox Music.

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
You guys do realize this is just saying what is being put on hold as they migrate to Xbox Music right? Doesn't really spell out what Xbox Music will include.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm upset that I can't get the old $15 deal. $10/month with no permanent downloads kind of blows. :(

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

dsba

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone heard what is the upcoming XBox music going to be? After this email, I just keep crossing my finger hoping that MS just doesn't scrap the whole Zune thing and drop the $15 subscription...
Social is gone (and missed a bit)
Streaming is gone (not really missed from my end...)
Video is going...

What's next MS?

Last edited:

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
With my annual pass at $150, and 10 free songs/one or more albums per month, I'm paying about $2.50 a month for unlimited music streaming and DOWNLOADING like the Music Mad Man that I am -to 6 devices, three of which allow me to play all content through three vehicles and stereo systems every/anywhere. There is no better entertainment value.

JohnC#WP

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, my music isn't playing anymore, rented or purchased. Also my Zune credits aren't showing up anymore... I've thought about uninstalling the software and reinstalling it, but I'm afraid the songs won't pull from my Zune, and they'll all just end up deleted.

When is the big jump coming, because paying $15 a month for songs that won't play and no credits is a joke.

Also I am ticked off about my play count, but that's because I was competing with my friend.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
This month my charges on my cc said Xbox Music instead of Zune and when I purchased more points, oooo ahhh.

About software issue, right click on file, see if there is a license tab when you click on properties.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
With my annual pass at $150, and 10 free songs/one or more albums per month, I'm paying about $2.50 a month for unlimited music streaming and DOWNLOADING like the Music Mad Man that I am -to 6 devices, three of which allow me to play all content through three vehicles and stereo systems every/anywhere. There is no better entertainment value.
+1. Still getting my monthly credits and enjoying Zune....err, XBox Music.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't really understand what MS is doing with Zune but it's obviously a stupid idea, I liked it just the way it was. Now why are you guys paying monthly for this? I found a site chinese site, paid about $200 and have unlimited access to all the music files on the site. If I want streaming I used Pandora (or simular) for free and if I want to watch videos (who is still watching videos?) youtube = Free!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077