Zune and Windows 8

Banstyle

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I want to upgrade to Windows 8, but I have two Zunes. Now that MS really doesn't support those at all anymore, what happens when I upgrade and plug them in. Will they stop working? I'm concerned and would love to know if MS has talked about this at all.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Zune software works perfectly fine on Windows 8, but there's a trick to do a clean install... you have to install .NET Framework 3.5 from the Programs and Features control panel's "Add Windows Features" list.

Start Screen > Type "Turn Features On" > Click Settings, and you'll see the screen listed.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I think they probably said that since Windows 8 isn't generally available yet, and most of the Twitter Zune people are marketing instead of tech support. They're probably just trying to be "secret" in relation to the new syncing client that's supposedly coming.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Outdated in one OS...

I want to upgrade to Windows 8, but I have two Zunes. Now that MS really doesn't support those at all anymore, what happens when I upgrade and plug them in. Will they stop working? I'm concerned and would love to know if MS has talked about this at all.

I agree, being a heavy Zune user (practically my sole music service other than a little Amazon here and there) I'm really hoping Microsoft doesn't completely nix their legacy devices in Windows 8. I need to still be able to sync my Zune HD and faithful legacy 8 GB.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 should actually pop up automatically to install .NET 2 and 3.5 rather than going into the options and adding it.

Coulda-woulda-shoulda, but it fails to do so, because of the way it tries to run the old installers manually... Windows 8 throws up an error for most people. I find pre-installing it as I outlined above to be 100% effective.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I would advise against upgrading to Win 8. I did it on two laptops and now neither can be used with Zune Pass. Both laptops are now missing from my list of computers I have attached to my account. I spent an hour in chat with one of Microsofts techs and she couldn't fix the issue. Now my Zune Pass is useless. I am beyond pissed about it. So I can either continue paying for the pass and keep the music or stop paying and lose all the music.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I installed Zune on my Win8 laptop without installing anything else.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

miluzzu

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Zune software works perfectly fine on Windows 8, but there's a trick to do a clean install... you have to install .NET Framework 3.5 from the Programs and Features control panel's "Add Windows Features" list.

Start Screen > Type "Turn Features On" > Click Settings, and you'll see the screen listed.

This is BS, I cannot get Zune to work well with Win 8 no matter how hard I try. Give Win 8 a WIDE berth. It's the worst OS ever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon