Zune device, Zune Pass, Windows 8, and WP8 Q&A Thread

JGC843

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I noticed while looking through this forum there was a lot of questions that had been repeated with different answers. I thought maybe we could make one thread with basic questions answered.

Does Windows phone 8 support Zune Pass?

Can you install Zune on Windows 8 and be able to use your credits if you still have the old pass?

Can you use Windows phone 8 with Zune software on Windows XP?

If there are other questions, I will edit this post and add them to this one, along with answers. If I am out of line, please let me know, or mods can delete this thread.

mr2gud2u

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I have not been able to sync my 920 to Zune. It does seem like I can add music to folders like a flash drive. I know I can load up a wp8 sync app for w7, but I'm still running Vista. I try to give MS the benefit of the doubt, but the move to xbox music doesn't seem well thought out.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Does Windows phone 8 support Zune Pass?
Yes, but it's quirky. For me it works with no problems, for some people it works only some of the time, for some people it starts working and then stops, and for others it doesn't work at all.

Can you install Zune on Windows 8 and be able to use your credits if you still have the old pass?
Yes, not a problem at all. I think the Zune program is now the ONLY way to redeem your 10 free song credits per month, and it still works fine on Windows 8

Can you use Windows phone 8 with Zune software on Windows XP?
The answer to this is going to be no on all operating systems - Zune is simply not able to interface with Windows Phone 8 at all. The Windows Phone 8 sync software will have to be downloaded - it only mentions support for Windows 7 and Windows 8 on the download page, but I have no idea if anyone has tried to get it working on XP.

mr2gud2u

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Just tried to load wp8 app with Vista...Not supported. I still love my 920, but the things went so much more smoothly with wp7. Zune pass works ok on my 920.

Crakeur

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the zune pass with the 10 free songs a month is, apparently, available to anyone still using the zune software but, once you upgrade your pc to 8, you lose the zune software and, I think, the ten free songs go as well.
Some things to note about Zune vs. xbox music. Zune crushes it. The system is far nicer looking and easier to use. The unlimited downloads are great but, for those of us who have been using zune for years, the thousands of downloaded songs cannot be transferred to the wp8 device unless you upgrade the pc to 8 and switch from Zune to xbox music on the pc. Even worse, for those of us who tried to move the songs, only to find the license wasn't working, once deleted, the songs remain "in collection" and, therefore, cannot be downloaded unless you purchase the track.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
the zune pass with the 10 free songs a month is, apparently, available to anyone still using the zune software but, once you upgrade your pc to 8, you lose the zune software and, I think, the ten free songs go as well.
Er, no that's not actually how it works, I think someone may have led you astray if you were led to that impression. Zune the software program should stay on your computer through an actual upgrade. If Zune (for some reason) doesn't stay on your computer through an upgrade, or you performed a clean/full install of Win8 through dual-booting or on a brand new PC, just re-download and install the Zune software again. You can still download the Zune software at zune.net.

I have the Zune pass with the 10 free songs and I still have those 10 free songs to download every month (and I regularly use them up, too). The main media player on my Windows 8 install is Zune, and I have it set as the default. Additionally, there is a sync utility for Windows 7 that will sync your music (and all other media, of course) to Windows Phone 8. Since I have a dual booted install, I have successfully booted into Windows 7, installed the sync utility, and synced some of my songs downloaded through Zune Music Pass to my phone without a problem. Additionally, from Windows 8, that same sync utility can be used (whether the desktop version or the metro version) to sync to a WP8 device. I hate Xbox Music, so I don't use it. I still download through Zune and I sync that music right to WP8 without a problem. And yes, I can play any DRM-based zune pass songs on my phone just fine.

kevynpm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Song credits still work on WP8 devices as well, if you have the old 14.99 music pass still. I can "buy" songs directly on my phone in Xbox Music, and it asks if I want to use my song credits, and tells me how many I have available, just like in WP7. So, if you have one of the old Zune Passes, keep it!

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my PC to 8 and my Zune software still works. I don't use my 8x for music. I'm still using my Zune HD and everything seems to work the same. I'm on the 14.99 Zune Pass and can still use my 10 credits per month. To be honest I don't want to change a thing. I want to keep using my Zune software, Zune pass and Zune HD. How long is that going to be possible?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077