HELP with updating software for unlocked phones?

cybersaurusrex

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I want to buy an HTC 8X and a Nokia 520... primarily to use as media players... and/or as back-up phones should something happen to my 925. I've always loved the design of the 8X... but never bought one because Nokia just had better apps and a better reputation supporting Windows Phone.

Anyway, since the two phones I want to buy are unlocked and since I won't be using any kind of cellular plan with AT&T with either of them... will I still be limited by the carrier's limits on software upgrades? And, if not, then how will I update the software? Will I be limited to "developer previews"... or can I still get the latest and greatest software updates... in a way that is not very technical or complicated?

Please advise... Thanks!

cybersaurusrex

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 520 is always gonna be a safer bet for now I guess though 8X has a few better features

Thanks, but that wasn't my question. I intend to buy both. My question is about how to update them with the latest software (once it's officially released). Since neither phone will be linked to a cellular plan, how will I be able to get the latest software upgrades?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but that wasn't my question. I intend to buy both. My question is about how to update them with the latest software (once it's officially released). Since neither phone will be linked to a cellular plan, how will I be able to get the latest software upgrades?

over the air
unlocked phone updates are faster and easier than contract phones
i got cyan on my CV L720 before alot of other lumias
you wont need ATT for updates ever again

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
In the case of the L520 the offcial updates will arrive in time... but the HTC 8x it's different, the official updates are very scarce and waiting times can be much longer, keep in mind those factors.

cybersaurusrex

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
What does "over the air" mean--by just using wi-fi?

Also, when Microsoft releases an update (like 8.1 Update 1), does it work with all Windows Phone 8 devices ever made... or does it only work with certain devices. I often hear of "roll-outs"... but am unsure whether that's due to the carriers or the software.

Basically, what I'm trying to ask, is will I be able to update both, the 8X and the 520, with Update 1 (when it is released) even though those are older phones?

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't know much about the 8x but I used to have 520 and it upgraded automatically to 8.1 and cyan. I did it over WiFi. Didn't use any network at all. Its all done by region and your phone operator but regardless... I was on pay as you go top up and still got the update

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
over the air
unlocked phone updates are faster and easier than contract phones
i got cyan on my CV L720 before alot of other lumias
you wont need ATT for updates ever again

Don't confuse Factory Unlocked with unlocked from a carrier...

Factory Unlocked phones are on a fast track for updates due to no carrier approval needed.

Unlocked from a carrier phones still need to wait for carrier approval before their OS and Firmware updates will issue.

Over the Air can be either/both Cellular and/or WiFi.

All WP 8 devices are supposed to get 8.1 and 8.1.1... All Lumia phones running Windows Phone 8 and above should get Cyan and then Denim. Cyan and Denim are Nokia (now Microsoft) Firmware for Lumia devices and an HTX 8X will not get that firmware. HTC may have their own Firmware updates coming... IDK.

Any phone you unlock from a carrier should still get its updates OTA (Over The Air) via WiFi when the original carrier passes it along.

Now... There are updates and upgrades.

Updates arrive OTA and self flash to bring necessary file changes up to date. You retain all user data. Upgrades are manually flashed as a new version of OS or Firmware releases. Upgrades are a clean install of everything and wipe all user data. You can always upgrade devices via Nokia Software Recovery Tool and get to the latest release of OS and Firmware for a Lumia device... IDK what HTC 8X people have for a recourse in terms of manual upgrade.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Don't confuse Factory Unlocked with unlocked from a carrier...

Factory Unlocked phones are on a fast track for updates due to no carrier approval needed.

Unlocked from a carrier phones still need to wait for carrier approval before their OS and Firmware updates will issue.

Over the Air can be either/both Cellular and/or WiFi.

All WP 8 devices are supposed to get 8.1 and 8.1.1... All Lumia phones running Windows Phone 8 and above should get Cyan and then Denim. Cyan and Denim are Nokia (now Microsoft) Firmware for Lumia devices and an HTX 8X will not get that firmware. HTC may have their own Firmware updates coming... IDK.

Any phone you unlock from a carrier should still get its updates OTA (Over The Air) via WiFi when the original carrier passes it along.

Now... There are updates and upgrades.

Updates arrive OTA and self flash to bring necessary file changes up to date. You retain all user data. Upgrades are manually flashed as a new version of OS or Firmware releases. Upgrades are a clean install of everything and wipe all user data. You can always upgrade devices via Nokia Software Recovery Tool and get to the latest release of OS and Firmware for a Lumia device... IDK what HTC 8X people have for a recourse in terms of manual upgrade.

Ohh my bad i thought carrier unlock = factory unlock
IMHO factory unlocked phones are a better choice then,if that's the case

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The difference is factory Unlocked never had a carrier branding, no carrier-ware and accept any SIM right out of the box.

The OP wants a couple of branded phones from US Carriers that are unlocked after sale. If not unlocked they won't take any SIM except the original network.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I am just wondering. I got a factory unlocked Lumia 930, now running on AT&T. Is there a update availability page at Nokia.com as it is for the carrier locked phones?

If I understand it correctly from the posts above, the factory unlocked phones should get software and firmware updates faster than the AT&T branded phones, but I couldn't find anything official. I am really looking forward to the new camera enhancements.

Thanks.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
International version 930 does not have the right radio for you to get LTE in the US.

I have the 930 already and am not missing LTE at all to be honest. Video streaming and Skype video calling works just fine over none-LTE 4G. I don't really understand the big fuzz over LTE. Even my battery life is much better with LTE now disabled in the settings.

My question was not if the 930 works, just when to expect firmware updates and if there is an official update status page as it is for the carrier locked phones.

Thanks

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the 930 already and am not missing LTE at all to be honest. Video streaming and Skype video calling works just fine over none-LTE 4G. I don't really understand the big fuzz over LTE. Even my battery life is much better with LTE now disabled in the settings.

My question was not if the 930 works, just when to expect firmware updates and if there is an official update status page as it is for the carrier locked phones.

Thanks

Sorry... I didn't look back to the top and assumed you were the OP who is still shopping phones I think.

If your 930 is not carrier branded/is factory unlocked I would look for it under the Europe pages as a "country variant" to check update status...

Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DestructoDisk