Why has my modern set up host stopped working?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

modern set up host has stopped working

i get halfway through download and it says modern set up host has stopped working,,then it just closes and i have to retry,,,,,did this 4 times,,about to give up

VoKUS

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: modern set up host has stopped working

I'm in the same boat, "Modern Setup Host has stopped working" while installing Windows 10, did you find a cause of this yet?

noah van tiggel

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: modern set up host has stopped working

I'm in the same boat, "Modern Setup Host has stopped working" while installing Windows 10, did you find a cause of this yet?

I believe it's a network error(your lost connection for a split second) the tool AND windows update do not like that at all even if it just disconnects and reconnects right after:
Windows update: Display's an error and deletes ALL of the downloaded files!
Creation tool: Crashes and deletes ALL of the downloaded files!

I mean come on Microsoft, wtf is this?? Was it too hard to implement a resume download feature? Jeez

I'm downloading a ISO of the pro version and I'll let you guys know if I was able to upgrade with my product key ;)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem. "modern set up host stopped working" always at the same point in the install of windows 10 released version. The point is progress 100% of "Creating Windows 10 Media". I am using MediaCreation Toolx64.exe to do the install. I upgraded 6 computers with no problem this one hangs up every time in the same place. I have disconnected all external hardware but there are 4 internal drives that I do not want to play with if I do not have to. Any suggestions?

sean oakley

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi to fix this issue try this. Uninstall any internet security software you have and malware removal software. Then Delete everything within C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and type and run the wuauclt.exe /updatenow in command prompt as admin . Then restart your desktop or laptop and then when your logged back in to your desktop start the upgrade again.
Hope this helps guys it worked 100% for me :smile:

Last edited:

Adam Torres

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue, took me a while but I got it running... here the steps to fix this issue
1.download the iso
2. Open iso with file explorer
3. Copy everything within the iso to a separate hard drive *this is the key*
4. Click setup

Note make sure you have enough room on your main hard drive or this method won't work
5. Seat back and relax enjoy your windows 10

Adam Torres

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I meant file explorer the program that windows uses
sorry for the confusion
no.. just get files out of the iso into a different hard drive. Different hard drive is the key. Prefer nearly 3/4 empty. needs breathing room to install but it will install on your main hard drive that has your original OS. windows 7, 8 or 8.1
I really don't know why this way works but all I can assume is that windows 10 needs to have breathing room to works its magic or Its just the way they write the stupid program, not allowing both windows 8.1 and 10 at the same time on the same hard drive. I am not going into the programing and take it apart try to find the answer.
I'm not a computer programmer, I just figure out what works and what doesn't work. Beside windows 10 I believe I had the same issue with previous OS. example Win 3.1 or 95 or 98 don't remember which one. Of course with a much older computer back then. My computer spec... Ienovo Intel i3, main hard drive 1000Gig only using 500gb of it, with a 760 gtx. I also have a 256 SSD and a 500gig hard drive. I use the 500 gig hard drive as my secondary hard drive for my staging area and install windows 10 to my main hardrive. Also I have 3 other laptops which me and my wife use and they all use windows 10 but they work perfectly well during insulation. I have one more theory but I'm not going to talk my head off. Hopefully this helps I hope I answer some of your questions. I was trying to keep it short oh well. My secret sauce try and error.

Last edited:

Arch Parsons

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Tried this but it made no difference for me. My experience is that nothing works for Windows 10 upgrade. When installed as a preview I created a new partition and included Win10 as another option in my multiboot menu. Obviously I can't to that for an upgrade because it has to go on top of my Win7. Does anybody really need this PITA Windows 10 upgrade POS? I've a mind to copy my Preview build to a partition on my laptop just to see what happens..I'm beginning to think I'm on a M$ blacklist.

sheena jarvis

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I have had the same issue. Tried 4-5 times to upload thru the Mediacreation tool and it gets to 'making sure your ready for install then blimp " Modern set host has stopped working " I removed malwarebyte, freed up room I have plenty of storage in C.And no I did not lose power on internet connection. It obviously MUST be an issue with tool. What is the point of offering if it does not work. I have been waiting weeks now for the notification in10 app. and so far nothing. I have Win 7 home premier.64.Surely somebody can figure out the real issue and offer a patch to fix the tool!

neilgirvan

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Yes getting same message here too. I also get scheduled task is not working ?? dont understand any of it and wasnt expecting this download to be so difficult. pretty poor for such a big launch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon