Not a Fan of New Outlook

AlternativeFacts

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello All
I have been a MS user for probably longer than most of you have been on this planet (when it was only DOS). Sometimes, I wonder if MS purposely says to its employees let's forget about all that we know and come up with something fresh. Change for the sake of change sometimes seems to be their goal. Years ago, MS had Outlook Express. It was easy enough for my mother to use. Then they thought let's get rid of that. Going from Outlook Express to full Outlook was too much for the casual user. She then had to use an ISP email client which had its own issues like losing one's emails if moving to a different ISP (Yes there were work arounds but not easy ones).

Now MS is promoting the "New Outlook". I have tried it out twice and each time, within 5 minutes, I discovered it is not for me. Now, I am afraid that the "New Outlook" will become the Only Outlook". I am not against a simplified version of Outlook, just like I thought that Outlook Express back in its day was the right product for most of the casual users. But the advanced Outlook features are beneficial to advanced users. So sure improve Outlook, but taking away features is not the answer in my opinion.

Am I missing something about the "New Outlook"? (see below for CoPilot's response)
Cheers

FYI, this is what CoPilot responded to when I asked for its comment to the above:

It’s understandable to feel apprehensive about the “New Outlook” and its features. The “New Outlook” is a modernized version of the classic Outlook, which brings the latest features, intelligent assisted capabilities, and a new modern and simplified design to your Outlook app . It is designed to be more user-friendly and customizable, with over 50 themes and fonts to choose from .

The “New Outlook” is not intended to replace the classic Outlook, but rather to provide users with a more streamlined and personalized experience . It is compatible with most accounts, including Microsoft accounts such as Outlook.com or Hotmail.com, work or school accounts assigned to you by your organization’s admin, third-party accounts such as Gmail, Yahoo!, iCloud, and other third-party accounts connecting through IMAP 1.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you. I've tried to switch to the new Outlook multiple times, only to switch back.

Perhaps we just need to wait until the new Outlook is more feature full. Right now it feels premature and a bit uncooked.

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The new Outlook will streamline MS' support into just one client (the web one), since that's exactly what it is: a wrapped outlook.com copy. I sincerly hope MS doesn't go the 80/20 route, as tempting as that may be with all the usage telemetry they have, but that being the new default even for MS365 subscribers is the roadmap (or at the very least, it's heavily pushed even with enterprise licenses).

bseuivafom

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
The problem is, it seems it *will* be the only Outlook.

Such a feature-bereft client which lacks major stuff in Mail(like account grouping), let alone the full Outlook smacks of everything else that's going on with Windows core apps in general.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
It's dumb you can't see all folders in one view. You have to select each individual mailbox. The old windows Mail app was the better experience.

Paul Chudigian

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
The thing that keeps me from migrating to the new Outlook is the inability to add an email account without linking contact lists. The new Outlook won't allow for that. The last time I checked, the new Outlook requires access to contact lists.

I purposely keep the contact list on my two Surface computers (Pro 7 & Laptop 1) separate from each other as well as the contact list in my smartphone. to avoid accidental erasing and/or corruption of individual entries when I reset my Samsung Galaxy A51 smartphone.

tcuprof

Jun 9, 2022
Visit site
Perhaps mine is a counter view. I really like the new web-based Outlook. It has a very similar feel to Outlook on my iPhone, which I like very much. So far, my only complaint is that you can't use the mouse wheel to scroll the calendar forward; you have to move a whole month at a time. I'm betting MS will fix that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital