Windows 10 upgrade and retail keys

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

According to a Microsoft FAQ, when you upgrade a 7/8 retail key to Windows 10, it will remain a retail key. So when you build a new rig (or drastically alter you current one) you should be able to transfer your key. Yet nobody who goes through the upgrade is getting a new Windows 10 key they can use in future. Activation seems to be purely hardware based at the moment. So in future how are we supposed to activate Windows 10 on a new rig? I've seen several theories but nobody seems to know for certain.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As in the past, I imagine it will be so for the future.

You have a license tied to the hardware. If you change too much hardware you have to call in and re-validate. I've done this back in my PC days as I upgraded systems...

IDK about retail, but on my OEM license I did in fact get a new key which I have screen capped and am saving.

qpegasus

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure it was a new key? Most people seem to be getting a generic key, which can't be used during a clean install. They just need to skip entering a key and activation is done via hardware. Microsoft recognises their machine has previously gone through the windows 10 update process.

I understand about phoning the MS automated service to activate the key on a new machine. But that still needs a valid key to be given during the install, after which you get instructions about how to activate it via phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It may be generic, I've not checked... I also have my 8.1 key.

I'm skeptical of the notion that Microsoft is going to leave legitimate users out in the cold in case of hardware replacement and upgrade issues. I also know I have 364 more days before it becomes terribly urgent.

It's day one of the release. If you are worried, wait for the dust to settle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3