Do I still need recovery partitions?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I've read that Windows 10 doesnt require any recovery partitions anymore. Hoever, I still have 4 recovery partitions in my Surface Pro 3. Can I do a clean install and delete al the recovery partitions and still use the recovery option if necessary (lets hope not soon, but you never know).

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Yes you can do a clean install (if you've upgraded and activated 10 already) to wipe out the partitions.

I'm not sure which partitions your Pro 3 is showing though, but a clean install of 10 gives a default partition structure of three partitions:

450MB WinRE Recovery partition, 100MB EFI Partition, and then the rest of your drive.

I suspect what you're seeing is 450MB WinRE, 100MB EFI, most of your drive, and then the ~6GB Windows 8.1 Recovery Partition, and if so you might just want to delete the very last one and expand the main partition to fill your space.

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It actually shows a 360 MB healhy recovery partition, a 450 MB healthy recovery partition and a 5,27 GB healthy recovery partion, and a 200 mb healthy EFI Partition. I might do a clean install and wipe em all, already upgraded to Win 10 so I have a CD Key ready :) Thanks for your reply

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sucessfully did a clean install and removed all the partitions. During the install, two new recovery partitions have been created of only 550 MB combined, instead of 5,5 GB, so now I have a little more room on my surface which is always nice :). BUT, for some reason, 122 MB remains unallocated. I cannot add it to my current C drive. I can however, create a new volume of 122 MB, which is kinda pointless.

Edit: Did a new clean install, removed all drives and now I have just 3 partitions: my main C drive and 2 for recovery. And more space available on the C drive than I had with Windows 8, woohoo!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon