Why does my physical keyboard stop working when I switch profiles?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My physical keyboard stops working when I switch profiles

I have to admit this is an old problem. Everything worked great in Windows 8. When I flipped to Windows 8.1, the problem appeared. It was fixed FOR A DAY in Windows 10, but has reoccurred. Here's the detail:

If I start up the machine, I can log in to any of the 3 profiles on my machine (an Acer V5-571p) by using the physical keyboard. If I choose to switch profiles, all of a sudden the physical keyboard stops working - until I restart the machine and log in to whichever profile I choose.

I posted in the Acer forums and got this answer: "Each profile has the ability to set it's keyboard and the Administrator has the ability to set all profiles to a default setting.
Go to control panel-->Region-->Administrative and/or Keyboards."

I don't see anything of that sort other than choosing the language in which I choose to operate.

This problem popped up as soon as I did the W8.1 upgrade last year. I held on FOR MONTHS waiting for the W10 upgrade to see if that would fix the problem...and it did! I updated just this week - then an update was forced down the pipe and it started again.

At this point, I've made my main profile the only Administrator. The other two are just standard profiles. Still have the problem.

I'm seriously at my wit's end. Can anybody help me?

DanVonderheide

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
Re: My physical keyboard stops working when I switch profiles

I have to admit this is an old problem. Everything worked great in Windows 8. When I flipped to Windows 8.1, the problem appeared. It was fixed FOR A DAY in Windows 10, but has reoccurred. Here's the detail:

If I start up the machine, I can log in to any of the 3 profiles on my machine (an Acer V5-571p) by using the physical keyboard. If I choose to switch profiles, all of a sudden the physical keyboard stops working - until I restart the machine and log in to whichever profile I choose.

I posted in the Acer forums and got this answer: "Each profile has the ability to set it's keyboard and the Administrator has the ability to set all profiles to a default setting.
Go to control panel-->Region-->Administrative and/or Keyboards."

I don't see anything of that sort other than choosing the language in which I choose to operate.

This problem popped up as soon as I did the W8.1 upgrade last year. I held on FOR MONTHS waiting for the W10 upgrade to see if that would fix the problem...and it did! I updated just this week - then an update was forced down the pipe and it started again.

At this point, I've made my main profile the only Administrator. The other two are just standard profiles. Still have the problem.

I'm seriously at my wit's end. Can anybody help me?

I wasn't logged in when I posted this. :-| Just quoting so I'll get notifications on replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zidmiez