I received a pop-up that locked the screen on my surface pro rt. Can I unlock it?

W

WPCentral Question

The only way to get it unlocked is to hit ok. It then runs some type of scan.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Some more details would be helpful. What does it say?

Is it from Windows? Did it occur on desktop? On browser?

Does it persist after reboot?

We don't have enough to proceed with a meaningful reply.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread... Please see this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
If you have a keyboard...
ALT+F4 will close apps or programs....including a browser with a frozen popup whether in Desktop or Metro/Modern/Start screen

If you don't have a keyboard and are using Touch screen....
If at Desktop screen...
Open Task Manager...via long hold(right click equivalent) on Windows icon on task bar(lower left)...or long hold(right click equivalent) on Taskbar...select 'Task Manager'.
In Processes tab, select desired program (eg IE/Chrome/Firefox or other open program). select 'End Task' (lower right corner)

If at Start/Metro/Modern screen...
Swipe right(from left side of screen) part way until Desktop enlarges to half the screen and browser/app is the other half...then swipe down on browser/app to bottom of screen to close it.

If you suspect a malware popup, then running your antivirus software, CCleaner and Malwarebytes could be a good option to remove anything that might have gained traction.

Hope this is helpful

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digispace24