Hot machine back with it on after computer crashed -what do I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

got machine back with it on after computer crashed -

my computer crashed - a new harddrive was installed with windows 7 ultimate 32 bit - never thought it was illegal till I now get the message it is - its - I have a product key for windows 8 but now I seem to have lost or misplaced my disc - windows 8 pro product key no <redacted by moderator>

Last edited by a moderator:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

Just to be clear…

This is a fan based News and Discussion site. It is in no way run by Microsoft, Lumia or any developer.

Please do not ever put sensitive information on open forums, no matter who runs the board. If you don't want everyone in the world to know a certain piece of information, it should not be posted.

Let's take a quick look at what happened. Since Windows XP, Microsoft has used algorithms to mash together OS version, Product Key and Hardware Configuration into an Authentication Verifier. Significant changes in hardware can trip the system and require a verification of License. In your case, an HDD from a machine that was licensed for Win 7 looks at the hardware of the new machine as alien. It is not licensed for your current Hardware Configuration.

Resolution:
1) On the Win 7 system, open Control Panel > System > click on Activate Windows and follow the prompts to get to the activate over phone advice. You could try and get the license converted to your new hardware, but it is a long shot really.
2) Download a copy of Win 8.1 Pro (for which you have a key*) and do a clean install. A change of HDD should not trip the authentication (like a new motherboard would) and you should activate fine. You can use the Media Creation Tool for your Download: Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

* 8.1 is a free upgrade from 8 and Msft would prefer you to get 8.1 which is really 8 SP1... Your key should work.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread... Please see this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon