Sent email with email address instead of sender's name

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I was in the Slow Ring for quite awhile (more than one year), until one of the latest updates brought up an issue: in Outlook, the senders name (my name) was replaced by my email address, and I couldn't find a way to fix it (uninstalled Outlook, reinstalled Outlook, deleted account, setup account, everything I could think about). This happens only with my Gmail accounts, not with my Exchange or Live accounts.

Since I use mainly my Gmail address, as pretty much everyone -and I don't want to argue if indeed everyone or not, it's not the point-, I got out of the slow ring and went with stable releases.

Since three releases ago, the issue came again, in stable releases. It's been two months and still it hasn't been fixed.

Does anybody know a way to solve this? I'm seriously thinking of giving up and going back to Android. My phone updated last night, and the issue is still there.

Phone: Lumia 735
OS version: 10.0.14393.321
Outlook Mail version: 17.7369.40738

Thanks everyone!

Best,
Sebastian

jalmos

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I posted a message in another thread asking about this:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ender-name-not-showing-my-outgoing-mails.html

Later I found your message and you have described exactly the same situation. I also have a company exchange account and a Microsoft account in Outlook.com/Live. And a primary private account in Gmail, which I mostly use. According to my testing the problem only exists with Gmail.

When I create a new message it always shows the email address in the sender field but during sending process it converts to the sender name when using Exchange/Outlook.com. But not with Gmail. So I am wondering if this is a Gmail related issue? My speculation: Could it be that the Outlook mail app is cross-checking with the service provider the sender name? And with Gmail this doesn't work so it uses only email address?

I have Lumia 830, same OS 10.0.14393.321 and Outlook Mail 17.7369.40828.0. So the Outlook update since your message has not solved the problem. In the other thread it was mentioned that this began with the Anniversary Update. I am not sure but it is possible, I noticed it maybe a month ago.

It would be very nice if somebody could find a solution for this...

waeras

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Fix is going out to insiders soon. :)

Update from Microsoft:
"The fix should be going out in a Windows update to Insiders soon, but I need to figure out which flight it will be captured in before I can give a better ETA".

The reason for the delay is that the bug have turned out to be outside of the Mail app, so they can't just fix it with an updated app in the Store, that's why we have to wait for a new build.

Thank you to Lynn Ayres & Caitlin Hart at Microsoft for taking the time to provide me with this information.

waeras

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Update: The fix for this is finally rolling out to insiders in the Fast Ring as of today. Slow Ring and production should be getting it soon too.

"For the fix of from-name issue in #Win10Mail check Windows build 15042/3 flighted today" - Caitlin Hart

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes