Asus Vivotab Smart screen cracked by itself
04-06-2015 11:47 PM
- I bought my Vivotab Smart back in May 2013, so it isn't even 2 months old. I've always had it in a case with a screen protector. I was using it earlier today and everything was just fine. I put it down on a table and left the room. I came back about 10 minutes later and the screen was cracked badly as if someone jumped on it. What is curious is that the plastic screen is separated from the system, as if the screen popped away from the body and caused enough tension to crack the screen. The main series of cracks are on the top left edge of the screen with one giant crack running down to the bottom. I called Asus and they created a RMA and told me to send it in, which I am going to. Then I started researching previous Asus models an this seems to be a common design flaw. The problem is Asus will never believe the story that it cracked by itself, even though it did. I paid $440 for this and am extremely disappointed. I've read threads about people starting a class action lawsuit. I searched the internet for hours looking for replacement touch pads and they are out of stock everywhere........maybe this is a clue? Anybody else have a screen spontaneously crack?07-04-2013 05:30 PM
- I've had a VivoTab Smart since Feb this year. Mine gets dragged around in my day pack all day and taken out at meetings to take notes. It doesn't get rough treatment, but it certainly gets well used. So far it's been robust and I haven't had a problem with it.
I have heard the odd reports about tablet screens spontaneously cracking. But I don't think it's confined to the VivoTab. I guess when you've got a 10" slab of glass and plastic laminate sitting in a fairly minimally supporting frame, stuff is gonna go wrong sometimes. I'll be interested to hear if others have had this issue. I might have to start treating my tablet a bit gentler.
I hope you get a replacement sorted.07-05-2013 12:40 AM
- this just happened to me today!!!!! I am so upset. like you mine is very new (got it a month ago). it has a screen protector (the really thick $25 dollar one that you put on with some special solution and squeegee for ever!!!) and also has a case. I treat it with kid gloves as I do with all my electronics (I still have and use an original ipod). It was in the backseat today. I heard a pop but didn't know what it was until I pulled it out tonight :-( so I guess I can contact asus as well. if you have any more information it would be greatly appreciated! I am so upset!07-09-2013 10:00 PM
- I sent my asus vivotab to the repair center, I am so upset with them, I got a call today from them saying that its out of warranty and that I have to pay for the damages because it the crack was induced my the customer, I spent 30 mins on the phone with them explaining the same thing over and over again. That the tablet hasn't been dropped, damaged or abused in anyway what so ever so it high impossible for me to induce damage on the product. I explained to them that I used it when I to check my email and school email and I plugged it in to the charger within 10mins I heard a loud popping sound I didn't know what is was so I went over to my tablet which was on the my charging table opened my case tried to turn on my tablet when I saw the screen was crack and the siding by the power button was separated. I was so upset to find this as I too had my for about a month. The Asus repair guy said that they have to go by the evidence of what the screen shows them and that they never heard of any of their product screen cracking on its own and that I must of dropped so basically they called my a liar, which pisses me off more. I won't waste your time sending it in to get the same results I did and get called a liar. They want me to pay over $300 for the to repair the screen on the tablet, I said I am not paying because I didn't induce no damage and I am not going to be responsible for something that happened on its own. I am having them send it back and returning it to Amazon and going back to my Samsung Galaxy Tab which I never had problems with Asus is out of their mind and I will never by another Asus product ever, their costumer service sucks..... My advice just return it to the people you got it from and get a full refund, its junk and not worth fixing all I have to say.....07-10-2013 11:03 PM
- Wow, the two people who post are on their first and second posts and one makes the inevitable "going back to android" comment in a Windows tablet forum. Why do I find this just a bit hard to believe? As it stands, screens can crack from a manufacturing defect but that is not likely months after purchase. I expect ether the device was exposed to excessive heat sufficient to cause expansion and distortion, or it was subject to enough of a drop or jolt to cause the frame to exert pressure on a portion of the screen. Glass can also crack well after an actual event so saying you left it on the counter and it was suddenly cracked doesn't mean much at all. BTW, I don't even like Asus products but will credit them with being the top of the ladder when it comes to service, as opposed to Samsung's not so stellar reputation for service for you wonderful (and almost completely cheap plastic) Galaxy Tab.07-11-2013 04:08 AM
- My Asus was never dropped or abused. If anything, it had something to do with the electrical as it cracked when it was charging. I am reading a lot of forum posts about previous Asus tablets doing this as well while charging. They crack a lot in the top left corner, where my crack originated. One guy mentioned his Asus tablet did the same thing and he got an Asus technical support member to admit it was a design flaw. This tablet is not even 2 months old and was used gently and lightly, so its not like I was pounding the screen hours on end. It is frustrating that this is happening a lot and Asus will not acknowledge their design flaw. I paid $440 for this hunk of junk, what a mistake.07-11-2013 09:11 AM
- It's true TRUE! My just cracked itself on the 13th day after collection. Before that, there were already many issues like frozen screen, blue screen, shutdown clicking noise which not supposed to be. Worst of all, I discovered my vendor did not do a good installation leaving with many errors in the Event log. I have sent my unit to the ASUS service center and they do not believe what I said as thinking I was trying to cover up. But it is also confirmed by their technical guy that my unit did not drop. I was using it in the morning and the screen was physically perfect and I kept it in my bag. But about an hour later, I thought out, the right side of the screen cracked.My is Asus Vivotab Smart ME400C and used less than 2 weeks. I am very angry and disappointed with ASUS as they want to void my warranty. What should I do and I don't intend to pay as it was used for 13 days only. IT IS VERY UNFAIR! I wonder if ASUS purposely manufactured poor quality screen so as to make more MONEY.07-22-2013 10:41 AM
- I have sent mine in but haven't heard back. I expect I will hear the same as you. we should keep an eye on this post for more people in the event there is a recall or suit. I also think there may be something to the clear screen protector theory that as that cures it could create enough pressure on the screen but that would still lie under a quality issue on asus's part in my book. I am sure you are as gentle with your device as I am and having heard that same pop from a device that was sitting there with no outside influence, I completely understand how frustrating it is to convince someone else that it happened like that. stay in touch everyone.07-22-2013 12:48 PM
- Asus is doing the same thing to me they want to avoid my warranty and make me pay to repair the defective tablet, I tried working with the Seller that I got it from and since I had my tablet for 31 days the return warranty expired they day before this happened and they are not willing to replace or refund me my money back for this tablet. Better yet Asus has had my tablet 2 weeks and I have yet to receive any contact from them. They keeping telling me to reply back to the email from the repairs department and I keep telling them that I haven't received any email from them and asked to speak to someone in repairs and they keep telling me that they only communicate through emails. I am upset at Asus for taking their sweet time and for calling me a liar and I am upset at the seller because they will do nothing for me and told me that its my problem.07-22-2013 07:22 PM
- When did you send you tablet in, I sent my in on July 5th which they got on July 9th, Asus updated the RMA status to (Product repair is in progress.-[WF4] Wait for Customer Confirmation-Customer Induced Damage \Out-Of-Warranty) this has been like this since July 10th, tomorrow will make it two weeks, I have yet to receive contact from repairs via phone or email. I have been waiting patiently, I have been trying to work with Asus and the seller, the seller says they can't do anything that it my problem, which they sold me the defective tablet in the first place, I am afraid Asus is going to charge me an arm and a leg to repair the defective tablet which shouldn't be my responsibility, but Asus wants to deny that they have problems with their products.07-22-2013 07:35 PM
- Same here - I know it sounds ridiculous. Whatever. No one will ever believe me. Mine cracked after having it for roughly 6 wks or so. I haven't even bothered calling Asus b/c I don't feel like wasting my time. IDK but if I actually did SOMETHING to the tablet and it cracked well fine. That's my deal. It just pisses me off that I didn't even do anything and just forked the $ out :(07-29-2013 04:23 PM
- Yep, had the same happen to my Vivotab Smart 2 weeks ago. I also own various phones and other Tablets (even a HP TouchPad) and it has NEVER happened to any of them. I simply had the ASUS in my bag and next thing it had a crack in the corner. Picked it up and the entire front screen cracked. Only a couple months old as well.
Looks like I'm stuck with it now. (Ebay may have replacement screens for around $50, but hard to get for the ME400).07-30-2013 05:36 AM
- I keep checking back on this page as I am about to try and deal with asus. they have my tablet and of course don't want to replace the defective screen so I will give it a go around on the phone. the more we get together the better chance we may have to get this resolved. does anyone know where we can go collectively from here?08-12-2013 12:43 PM
- Two days ago happened the same to me, it was charging on the desk and after 5 minutes I came back and cracked the bottom left cracked.
I think it is a great device and the issue is that where I live there is no way to send to a repair service. Did anyone received any letter from asus about this horrible problem?08-13-2013 06:42 AM
- Hey, I googled about this issue and I found this topic...So, I just got home, took my vivotab from its case and the screen was cracked. This never happened to me before, I've owned several smartphones and this is my second tablet (I bought it in January)... I didn't hear anything, but nothing happened with the tablet, I had it in a pouch with my other stuff within its case... It was very well protected... I'll be sending it to repair today but I guess Asus won't take responsability...08-22-2013 01:59 PM
- Windows Central Archives
- Windows Central Archive
- ASUS VivoTab Smart
Asus Vivotab Smart screen cracked by itself
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD