Cortana to beat Siri and Google Now?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
We will find out real soon about all of WP8.1, including Cortana. But do you guys think it will beat Siri and Google Now? I mean, let's not be biased, because when Mango (7.5) was announced with new speech features, we thought it blew away the competition, but it didn't.

So will Cortana beat the competition? I think it will, but we'll find out more soon. :)

Sent from my Xbox One using WPCentral Forums

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Tell me lacks many features that are present on Siri and google now but best part of tell me was it all worked offline.
Now if cortana works offline and can open apps , settings and all other features from Siri and google now , YES it can beat.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Define "beat"...

Are you talking speech recognition accuracy?

Are you talking available commands it will do?

Are you talking about results that more accurately match what you are looking for?

Cortana and Siri are more than just verbal search engines, they DO things.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think that this time around, worst case scenario Cortana will be at least on par with it's competitors. All signs are pointing that they'll keep the name Cortana and that alone carries some high expectations. I think we'll be in for a treat. :)

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Cortana will be amazing both in terms of software complexity and functionality. However, like Siri and Google Now, it will be an amazing feature that users will play around with for a few days, try to make it part of their life for a few weeks and ultimately unpin it from their start screen and then later show it off to their friends who own other phones. Unless MS opens up and SDK for cortana and integrates it with highly used services like calendar, mail, messaging and phone, I fear that it will tread the same path that has been laid down by siri and followed by Google Now. As far as competition with siri and google now go, I am confident that cortana will blow them both out of the water

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Cortana will be amazing both in terms of software complexity and functionality. However, like Siri and Google Now, it will be an amazing feature that users will play around with for a few days, try to make it part of their life for a few weeks and ultimately unpin it from their start screen and then later show it off to their friends who own other phones. Unless MS opens up and SDK for cortana and integrates it with highly used services like calendar, mail, messaging and phone, I fear that it will tread the same path that has been laid down by siri and followed by Google Now. As far as competition with siri and google now go, I am confident that cortana will blow them both out of the water

​You realize that Cortana is always available by hitting the Search button? The live tile is just another way of getting at it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Cortana won't be able to beat any of these anytime soon. Why? It doesn't reach even half the countries as Siri and Google Now. Beta rolling out to USA and then later UK, Canada, China, seriously? We won't see any traction to Cortana even though she is SO amazing. Less people will know about her and less it will spread around the world, less popularity. So no it won't beat anything. Will be another wasted technology by Microsoft, too little and too late to hit the critical mass - entering a saturated market.

AliNSiddiqui

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Cortana won't be able to beat any of these anytime soon. Why? It doesn't reach even half the countries as Siri and Google Now. Beta rolling out to USA and then later UK, Canada, China, seriously? We won't see any traction to Cortana even though she is SO amazing. Less people will know about her and less it will spread around the world, less popularity. So no it won't beat anything. Will be another wasted technology by Microsoft, too little and too late to hit the critical mass - entering a saturated market.

Isn't there any way for outside users to access Cortana by changing country or something?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
That's why android rocks it gives its Google now for all countries nd it has best apps like Google maps which is miles apart in India.New moto g that's why sell like hot cakes.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That's why android rocks it gives its Google now for all countries nd it has best apps like Google maps which is miles apart in India.New moto g that's why sell like hot cakes.

Google Now wasn't available in EVERY country to start with, your point is?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't say this is another wasted technology by Microsoft. It is a beta. So it isn't necessarily complete. They want to improve it before releasing it to other parts of the world. They probably don't even have a lot of different languages even ready for Cortana yet. Also I don't think it matters if they are playing catch up or if they are late. We will have it soon and it just gives iOS users or Android users one less reason not to consider windows phone.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Well a lot of Fandroids around the net are sounding very protective of Google Now today so I'm guessing Cortana is going to be a hit.

Gautam Kabiraj

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

Neither Google Now was available globally initially.

Google maps won't even catch up with Nokia HERE and HERE Drive Offline Maps. Nokia has lesser international maps (like no HERE maps for japan, but its a matter of time and development) as compared against the latter but whatever are available are much better than Google ONLINE maps for navigation.

MOTO G is selling like hotcakes only because of flipkart's PROMOTION of it!!!!!! Open filpkart and realize why.
Had they introduced Lumia 525 in the similar way, it would've been sold like Lemonades unlike Hot cakes(its summer here already :p).

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh you mean to say google maps suck compare to here maps in India.plz don't comedy i think you don't understand the capabilities of google maps location finding.it is way better than here maps.atleast in Chennai it is the best nokia maps is not giving all info i want but with google map i can find any location anywhere.i do not know about other parts of world.Google maps will remain uncrowned monarch for years to come.i do not talk about offline capability becoz it does not have it.but searching any place is a breeze.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say this is another wasted technology by Microsoft. It is a beta. So it isn't necessarily complete. They want to improve it before releasing it to other parts of the world. They probably don't even have a lot of different languages even ready for Cortana yet. Also I don't think it matters if they are playing catch up or if they are late. We will have it soon and it just gives iOS users or Android users one less reason not to consider windows phone.

It is a wasted technology as it gives Apple another 3-6 months of time before Cortana reaches most part of the world, to "innovated in Siri" these actions and more. They will probably give Siri a iPad to take notes instead of notebook, the world will hail this as "magical innovation" and there goes marketshare and mindshare that Microsoft has been struggling with for all these 3 years.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure Cortana is really a Siri or Google Now beater. I think a lot of people don't seem to understand what Siri or Google Now can do. For example, Siri is totally contextual and can pull details out of text messages and emails, and Google Now already has a notebook with all the info it has on you. So I'm not sure why the notebook is so innovative. It's not. The only couple things that are new are the fact that you can integrate apps into it. This was available in WP8 but was never used to it's full extent, and I don't expect WP8.1 to be much better in that regard. Also, being able to remind based on triggers like a phone call might be new. But I'm not sure. Lastly, being able to say first one, last one, second one, looks like it's new too.

In any case, it looks cool, and it combines the best of Siri and Google Now, but I wouldn't call any of it innovative. I'm a big WP ****** and when I was showing off what Cortana could do based off of the earlier leaks to my Apple fanboys, they were able to do all of the same things including getting flight info, time to work, traffic, stocks, weather, etc.... So maybe someone can educate me as to what Cortana can do that is so innovative?

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb