DV8P and Windows 8.1 Update 1

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just throw this one out there for sharing experiences with DV8P running Windows 8.1 Update 1 (leaked last Friday and updates can be downloaded via 3rd-party file sharing sites).
I installed it and everything seems to run fine and without noticing any major changes.

Tested a few things DV8P specific related to Miracast:
1. In duplicate display mode, the screen resolution is now changed to 1280x768 instead of 1280x800 before. This reduced side bars on 16x9 TVs a lot but not completely gone.
2. Extended mode works fine with TV on full 1080p resolution by default. IIRC, before it was on the same resolution as tablet screen.
3. Second screen only still broke for me (other than the resolution now is 1080p) because I can't click on the confirmation button. It is very hard to use touch screen for this because there is no visual trace on screen. I tried a mouse, the entire mouse coordinates are completely wrong. Basically, the OS thinks the mouse is still running within an imaginary 1280x800 box on top left corner instead of 1920x1080 on HDTV. This has been this way before the update and still broken. So it appears that it will be up to Intel to update its driver to fix the problem.

The tablet standby battery drain seems better than before in my short testing. I was averaging 1~2 % per hour. Now I saw 3% in 7 hours. Need more testing to confirm this.

bigeduck

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Very cool, I have to err "find" this, word was, it was suppose to be released this Tuesday, but got pushed off till the following Patch Tuesday in April. I know, I could wait a month, but why, if it's already RTM'ed.

Just for clarification, are you using miracast for the dual display?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
As I posted above, I tested 3 different modes: duplicate, extended and second screen only. Duplicate is the easiest to use but can't handle copy-protection requirements.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My experience hasn't really changed much with Update 1. Minor tweaks here and there, but since its a tablet, I don't get to see the change my laptop saw.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just throw this one out there for sharing experiences with DV8P running Windows 8.1 Update 1 (leaked last Friday and updates can be downloaded via 3rd-party file sharing sites).
I installed it and everything seems to run fine and without noticing any major changes.

Tested a few things DV8P specific related to Miracast:
1. In duplicate display mode, the screen resolution is now changed to 1280x768 instead of 1280x800 before. This reduced side bars on 16x9 TVs a lot but not completely gone.
2. Extended mode works fine with TV on full 1080p resolution by default. IIRC, before it was on the same resolution as tablet screen.
3. Second screen only still broke for me (other than the resolution now is 1080p) because I can't click on the confirmation button. It is very hard to use touch screen for this because there is no visual trace on screen. I tried a mouse, the entire mouse coordinates are completely wrong. Basically, the OS thinks the mouse is still running within an imaginary 1280x800 box on top left corner instead of 1920x1080 on HDTV. This has been this way before the update and still broken. So it appears that it will be up to Intel to update its driver to fix the problem.

The tablet standby battery drain seems better than before in my short testing. I was averaging 1~2 % per hour. Now I saw 3% in 7 hours. Need more testing to confirm this.

Which Miracast receiver do you use? I have the Netgear PTV3000, and it is painfully laggy - the input lag is over a second, almost unusable. I have update firmware on the Netgear, so would love to hear others feedback on this.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I too have the Netgear. The lag is part of the deal of Miracast. The PC needs to compress the screen output to h.264 video and send through WiFi to the adapter. It is ok for me but it is never intended to play games. It is much less than a second. Check your wireless interference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa