Edge and the creators update= increased fan noise?

Skoen

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi.
So after the new update my CPU usage is hovering between 50-70% + the fan is going crazy... Dosn't matter if it's 1 or 10 tabs. It used to be around 10-20%.

Anyone else experience this or is everyone on chrome? :)

Thx!

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
On my desktop fans do kick in when opening websites in Edge, for example now when I was opening this thread with only one tab open and only edge and task manager running CPU usage went up to 50% when it was loading ads but then dropped back to 5%.
When opening Microsoft.com the CPU usage was 29% just the moment before it loaded and when I was opening mspoweruser.com the usage was at 30% at it's peak but then dropped down to 5%.
Not sure what your CPU is, I am running a Core i5 7600, if your CPU is a bit older then that's probably what to expect because I believe they used more CPU power for better performance because I can tell that before the Creators Update Edge was even slower when I was opening Windows Central.

Skoen

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a i5 6300U, on a surface pro 4. I agree that yours is more stable + a bit faster overall... but my battery life has dropped from 6-7 hours to 3 hours.

and my CPU dosn't peak at 50-70%, it stays there... even if its only google.com (or bing :)).

Last edited:

ramius

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Just reset my Window to the previous version and it took care of the problem completely.

Creators update hereby confirmed to **** up Edge.

Skoen

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Nice of you to confirm my suspicion...thx. Do you think Microsoft will release a fix soon? hopefully before Redstone 3...

Skoen

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Found a temporary fix... its possible to delete on of the Edge "process" (in task manager) that's using 30-40% of CPU when the computer is idle. Edge will work as normal afterwards...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss