Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm sure that we are all aware of this, but why is there so much hostility towards windows phone. I mean, I was on the verge the other day and they made an article about blackberry and I swear one of the first comments on it was WP sucks!

I understand that its not for everyone, but people don't seem to troll on BB half as much as WP, especially when it comes to android users, I have no problem with them thinking android is superior, thats their choice, but they always have to be the first one to insult windows phone. I just don't get it, its like they're all scared that wp might actually be a legitimate competitor to both iOS and android! I mean all three platforms have their merits, and while I personally don't like android, I don't just go and say "android sucks...have fun with your laggy,unstable, OS, losers!"

The reason why I'm bringing this up was when I was at school the other day. Let me just preface it by saying that I'm and electrical engineering major, so of course we are all into technology and phones and such. I showed my friend my new phone (the htc 8x) and he thought it was cool. Another guy sitting next to us liked the design of it and said, cool phone, and then I showed him it was a windows phone and then he said"I'm sorry you have a windows phone". He was an android user. Then I actually showed him the OS and he walked away impressed. Every time I show someone using android a windows phone, they are always like "cool, its so smooth, I wish my phone ran that fast.."

I'm not saying that my feelings are hurt, because its an OS platform, which people tend to forget when they treat it like a religion, but people out there, especially fandroids seem to get really offended or upset when you don't like android..its kinda funny. Why do you think there is such hostility towards wp?

they still think of MSFT as it was in the 90s--ie doing its own thing irrespective of feedback. then again, feedback was also far less instant and far less public than it is today. All in all, everyone here knows that most people think it is cool to come down on MSFT. so wp is obviously associated with MSFT so also gets the anger that this generation has. the irony is palpable given that google and apple have both done far more evil stuff than MSFT did in the best (or worst) of times.
    Thanked by:
    Bartdog and DiverMechie like this.

Global Posts
    880 Global Posts
    WP is just the new kid and the haters will hate and some hate is justified. However I wouldn't think too much of those hating just to hate. WP is growing and will be just fine. I'm switching from Android to WP8 and I too had some "hate" for WP7, but have learned the errors of my ways since then. I find pluses/minuses for all OS phones/tablets/PCs. As long as each manufactures takes each constructive criticism and makes it productive, then we will always win.
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.

I think that they think that hating Microsoft somehow gives them some kind of "geek cred."

Global Posts
    2,092 Global Posts
    I was just saying this the other week, I guess I'm not the only one who noticed.

I don't know why it happens, maybe because iOS is so successful or because they got tired of making fun of Apple they needed to find something else to hate on. That something else being Windows Phone. Some people haven't even tried it. Their judgements are based on what someone else told them, what they read in an article, or what "everyone else" thinks.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
    Thanked by:
    DiverMechie likes this.

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    It is the norm. Got to get used to it. Heck, ZDNet has been on an anti-Microsoft rampage.

It is annoying reading comments on any WP related piece on any site since the majority of comments will be those bashing WP/MS. Like with Windows and stale BSOD jokes, with WP it's always something like "all 5 WP users" or how WP is the next Kin.

iOS fans hate on WP because of their hate of MS and lack of knowledge/ignorance on anything MS related. Android fans seem to have more tech knowledge but they have some weird insecurity - anytime another OS has something good they need to repeat the market share numbers or how many cores their phones have. It's funny how when iOS was the big fish, Apple fans would always give Android fans a hard time. Now Android fans are doing the same to everyone else.

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Just let it slide. Some people do it just for the attention they can't get outside of cyberspace.
    DiverMechie likes this.

Global Posts
    2,092 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Just let it slide. Some people do it just for the attention they can't get outside of cyberspace.
    It's just so annoying to me because sometimes it'll happen on sites or forums where people are actually asking for advice and the Android fanboys will spread lies about Windows Phone and try to make it look bad to get that person to buy an Android phone instead.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    A true technology enthusiasts appreciates every form of technology, no matter was OS, company, whoever makes it, etc. But not everyone is a technology enthusiasts. Many are just going based on what others say whether they are opinions or close people in their lives. Almost everyone in my family uses WP because I encouraged them but I never forced it upon them. Many are just uninformed but WP is definitely gaining traction...
  11.    #11  
    I mean, even though I am a MS fanboy, I am more of a technology agnostic, and I mean that I will give everything a try. I'be used linux,unix,iOS, webOS (RIP), Android (many flavors), WP, OSX, etc. I really do give everything a chance and I just don't like android. To me it just feels clunky, even compared to apple's iOS (which hasn't really changed much in like 5 years). I have some criticisms of WP and or MS too. But I don't troll and say that android is a piece of garbage and people shouldn't get it, I just don't care for it. BB is strangely, staying under the radar, I even really like their new BBOS10 and I didn't think I would based on the videos of it, but its actually a really well though out os. Its just funny to me how people get so upset and angry over OSes, all I ever get is excited because of all the cool technology that keeps coming out. I was excited when iOS, then android, then WebOS, then wp...etc. New technology always excites me, which is why I'm in college for electrical engineering...I always like to try new OSes and products because there are many different and cool ways to to the same thing. Ubuntu phone also looks cool too btw...

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridemyscooter86 View Post
    I mean, even though I am a MS fanboy, I am more of a technology agnostic, and I mean that I will give everything a try. I'be used linux,unix,iOS, webOS (RIP), Android (many flavors), WP, OSX, etc. I really do give everything a chance and I just don't like android. To me it just feels clunky, even compared to apple's iOS (which hasn't really changed much in like 5 years). I have some criticisms of WP and or MS too. But I don't troll and say that android is a piece of garbage and people shouldn't get it, I just don't care for it. BB is strangely, staying under the radar, I even really like their new BBOS10 and I didn't think I would based on the videos of it, but its actually a really well though out os. Its just funny to me how people get so upset and angry over OSes, all I ever get is excited because of all the cool technology that keeps coming out. I was excited when iOS, then android, then WebOS, then wp...etc. New technology always excites me, which is why I'm in college for electrical engineering...I always like to try new OSes and products because there are many different and cool ways to to the same thing. Ubuntu phone also looks cool too btw...
    You my friend, are a true technology enthusiast.
    I hope we see an Ubuntu phone in the US or Firefox phone. That would be pretty cool I think.

Global Posts
    32,427 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by deloa84 View Post
    You my friend, are a true technology enthusiast.
    I hope we see an Ubuntu phone in the US or Firefox phone. That would be pretty cool I think.
    alpinestars1z is too. It looks like he's used every mobile platform except webOS and Symbian.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    It's ok man you get used to it :-)
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]

Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    alpinestars1z is too. It looks like he's used every mobile platform except webOS and Symbian.
    Also Hey Laura I get a question. can you change your username on Mobile Nations???

- Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]

Global Posts
    32,427 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    Also Hey Laura I get a question. can you change your username on Mobile Nations???

Danny, I sent you a PM.
  17.    #17  
    yeah, the hardest part I think both firefox Os and ubuntu phone will have is getting hardware manufactures on board, i mean it was hard enough for MS to do and the size of their company and money vs mozilla or canononical is vast. Still, I haven't really seen much of firefox OS, but ubuntu phone, once they get it past beta and the final product out, looks like it might be really cool to play with and try out, it looks like the mashed up windows phone, android, and parts of webOS together...
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    880 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridemyscooter86 View Post
    You sound like me short of electrical vs. electronic engineering. I tease my Apple owning friends, but they know that I own every OS in about every device. That is where my name comes from.
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.

Fan Boys. IT "Brand Loyalty" wars are nothing new.

Global Posts
    2,092 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    You know what? I actually did try out Symbian for a week with a Nokia E71. Thanks for reminding me!

I had to get it back in 2011 when Straight Talk didn't have a BYOD plan yet. What people did was buy the phone which came with the SIM, activate it, then put the SIM in any GSM phone and it'd work fine. I put it in an iPhone, until it got stolen. Then I used the E71 until I bought the Dell Venue Pro. A couple months later, I ended up trading in the E71 in that Smoked by Windows Phone challenge.

I do sort of miss that phone, mainly because of that metal build quality. It was amazing. I almost wanted to buy an E72, but I know I'd never really use it. I'd rather put that money towards a newer Nokia.

I also used webOS briefly on an HP Touchpad that I bought during the fire sale. Nice OS, but there wasn't really much I could do with it. It was kind of like the iPad for me, where I felt like I couldn't do as much as I could on a Windows tablet. I did like having Flash in the browser though. I ended up selling it a couple months later.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hi i own and use windows phone 7 and 8 also surface RT tablet, so i am used to negative comments from i phone/ i pad / Android phone/Tablet owners, even family members, am i bothered? no i have phones and tablet far superior, they do everything i need,never fail to work, quick and easy to use,well made and receive regular updates to OS just had storage check and maps to SD card, and apps, more arriving, when BBC I PLAYER for UK arrives then almost perfect,
    i have had all OS over the years ( except Apple ) and still use webOS/ Meego/Symbian and Maemo 5, and windows phone i personally find is the best to date as my main phones, perhaps the detractors will see the errors of their ways, and use the best. WINDOWS PHONE.

I've seen a lot of hostility and I think it comes down to two factors:

1. Everyone assumes it's the same Microsoft from 10 years ago. Windows ME/2000/xp-64 bit/anti-trust cases/etc.

2. OS envy. WP8 actually looks like a viable mobile OS. People are fans of IOS and Android and they want to have the best experience, the top experience. If something comes up that innovates and works well at what it does and doesn't take place on their platform of choice, they will immediately hate on it. They may not want to get a Windows Phone right now, but they want the innovation...so they'll hate it and talk crap about it until it goes away. Superiority complex.

Those 2 things contribute to most of the hate, IMO. But hate is good sometimes. No such thing as bad press and whatnot.
    Thanked by:
    eric12341 and LeLee092 like this.

Namely, I think the main reason people seem to troll or pass negative comments about the OS is because of the slow adoption rate, and the absolute dominance of the other two platforms.

People assume it must be terrible because there's relatively few Windows phones in the wild. Marry that with the fact that fanboys, who actually are generally knowledgeable and informed, tend to spread misinformation about WP8. Don't know why, but Id hazard a guess that its because they feel threatened by what is actually a credible OS. Sounds silly to think that grown men and women would do this, but that's the reality, and the mindset of fanboys.

I know people say this all the time here, but in the short time I've had a WP, I've convinced two others to buy into the OS. My friend is receiving his phone tomorrow and for a bloke that has never displayed any sort of interest in tech, and is even quite ignorant of it, is legitimately excited.

Simply because he was enthralled by how WP ran, looked and performed. I'm enjoying trying to convert people to WP8. It deserves the attention and love, it really is the best platform I've ever come across in many ways.

And I nearly bought an another Android instead, but said Id give Windows a shot. Glad I did.

White Lumia 930

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deloa84 View Post
    A true technology enthusiasts appreciates every form of technology, no matter was OS, company, whoever makes it, etc. But not everyone is a technology enthusiasts. Many are just going based on what others say whether they are opinions or close people in their lives. Almost everyone in my family uses WP because I encouraged them but I never forced it upon them. Many are just uninformed but WP is definitely gaining traction...
    Yeah, I guess that's why I just bought an Apple iPhone 5 (iOS) to replace the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android OS) as my primary smartphone and intend to buy the Nokia Lumia 928 (WP8 OS) in a couple months to pair with the iPhone 5. To give the Galaxy Nexus a rest, I just put my HTC Trophy (WP7 OS) back on line #2 (and also recently bought an HP Pre 3 (webOS), which I'm having a hell of a time activating because it didn't come loaded with webOS 2.2.4!). I also intend to buy a Blackberry 10 OS smartphone later this year before I complete my 2 year contract on line #2 and drop back down to 1 line.

I personally like iOS and Windows Phone OS the best (probably iOS a shade more than WP OS, but I want to get my hands on a WP8 device so I can do a true comparison) and am not an Android OS fan (there always seem to be some sort of hardware performance issues with every Android device), but I'm not going to go out of my way to bash Android. (I'll add I'm not anti-Google because I also have a chromebook and I really like the chromebook the more I use it.)

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303

I stopped caring or argue back, i just push them down stairs =D!
    Thanked by:
    boxa72 
    HaibaneReki, raycpl and MilkyTee like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast