New Cortana video

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
MS needs to stop the comparison videos and just market their tech.

Exactly. This ad is not going to win any converts from iPhone land. Sure Cortana is more capable in certain areas, but Siri can do more things like set timers and alarms. Also App Store has 1 million apps...

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Never understand the hype behind Cortana or Siri. Yes talking to phone is nice, but the office, OneNote, music apps are killing windows phone

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Never understand the hype behind Cortana or Siri. Yes talking to phone is nice, but the office, OneNote, music apps are killing windows phone

Agreed. Almost threw my 1020 out the windows yesterday after realizing you can't even easily attach any documents from within the mail client. Quite disappointing for a company who is just trying to push their devices towards the business sector.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. This ad is not going to win any converts from iPhone land. Sure Cortana is more capable in certain areas, but Siri can do more things like set timers and alarms. Also App Store has 1 million apps...

Hello, evidently you haven't used Cortana, you can set anything you want as far as alarms and notifications, and you can voice launch timer apps like supertimer etc. Get educated before you post.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello, evidently you haven't used Cortana, you can set anything you want as far as alarms and notifications, and you can voice launch timer apps like supertimer etc. Get educated before you post.

Cortana can't set an alarm on a specific day, only the next 24 hours. Siri can.

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

You are missing the point, they won't be able to win millions with just simple advertisement. They have lost market to a particular extent where they need to compare, without which they won't be able to win people.

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

The reason why Cortana and Siri are so hyped is because they can give rise to an entirely new user experiences. Imagine what wearable tech would be if it just relied on touch interfaces. Gesture+voice UX will increase in future, and Microsoft is gearing up for same.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You are missing the point, they won't be able to win millions with just simple advertisement. They have lost market to a particular extent where they need to compare, without which they won't be able to win people.

I disagree with your view. MS has been comparing their products with Apple/Google for the last couple of years and it has done nothing for them. MS has zero 'coolness' amongst most consumers and these videos always come off as desperate. Part of what makes Apple marketing so good is that they don't compare their products to anyone else. They are THE product. MS is constantly trying to compare and what's funny is that on the whole WP is inferior to both iOS and Android. If they did a full feature list WP would look silly.

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I disagree with your view. MS has been comparing their products with Apple/Google for the last couple of years and it has done nothing for them. MS has zero 'coolness' amongst most consumers and these videos always come off as desperate. Part of what makes Apple marketing so good is that they don't compare their products to anyone else. They are THE product. MS is constantly trying to compare and what's funny is that on the whole WP is inferior to both iOS and Android. If they did a full feature list WP would look silly.

The point I am trying to make is that, this video illustrates very well the usefulness and Contextual awareness of Cortana. It clearly appeals to the general public. For sure Microsoft was trying to appeal using cheap instances like "Modern apps", and I know they talked a lot. Talks are cheap!
Now, they are working on ground to really make a difference (not just to sell).

But considering the recent updates, "Adam deep learning" and its integration with Cortana and Kinetics, Microsoft does not looks like making another mistake. Wearable will crush down without the help of Gesture and Voice recognition, and this is where I feel Siri will go down. Its entire backend is developed by Nuance, and there are lesser chances that Siri API will go public like Cortana and power apps.

The whole bigger picture make me feels that this one small video may be a start of a bigger marketing strategy that takes its roots from a good product. I know it is a lot to expect that a company will just win everything on the basis of UX, but still looks hopeful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes