Surface mini

dugenhiser

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
With BUILD coming up this week, the surface mini is expected to be announced. there have been many rumors going about and most of them different. What features do you wish it has, or describe your dream tablet for your needs.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Really? Who expects that? I'd be shocked if a Surface Mini is announced. They're going to be focusing more on Windows Phone and Xbox. They've also always announced Surface devices at separate events.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, I really don't think so. Even in that article Mary Jo mentions that summer is more likely. The Windows 8.1 Update 1 is a small update that does almost nothing for tablets - it's focused almost primarily on keyboard and mouse.

Plus, if Microsoft is smart (not always a given) they want a unanimous message coming out of Build as a leadup to device sales. Announcing both new phones AND tablets would dilute that too much.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I really don't think so. Even in that article Mary Jo mentions that summer is more likely. The Windows 8.1 Update 1 is a small update that does almost nothing for tablets - it's focused almost primarily on keyboard and mouse.

Plus, if Microsoft is smart (not always a given) they want a unanimous message coming out of Build as a leadup to device sales. Announcing both new phones AND tablets would dilute that too much.

Agree. In the article Mary Jo is not certain. But at the same token Mary Jo never waived the possibility of it happening in the Spring, And that is why I said maybe there is a possibility of a Surface Mini being announced at Build.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'd like two models, Pro with Wacom digitizer and x86 CPU, and RT with ARM CPU.

Update 1 does a lot for tablets. It makes possible devices with 16gb of storage and 1gb of ram.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Update 1 does a lot for tablets. It makes possible devices with 16gb of storage and 1gb of ram.

Those things were already technically possible, but Microsoft wouldn't certify hardware like that. That part has changed. Still though, in my experience (on a Vivotab Note 8), t didn't really decrease resource usage at all.

Either way, it's still an absolutely terrible idea for the manufacturers to use hardware that poor; nobody is actually going to be happy with it.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
With BUILD coming up this week, the surface mini is expected to be announced. there have been many rumors going about and most of them different. What features do you wish it has, or describe your dream tablet for your needs.

It isn't, the Surface Mini will likely have it's own event later this year (Q3-Q4).

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Surface Mini would be nice. I'd like to see an ~8" 1920x1200 screen, USB 3.0, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage + SD, latest processor, gyro, accelo, GPS, NFC and a great front camera. Optional Wacom digitizer. Optional LTE. Starting at $449 Weighing in the 350g/0.75lb range. Offer touch and type covers, and some kind of nice folio that lets you put it in tablet or landscape mode.

While they're at it, how about adding Cortana, enabling notification sync with WP8, and just improving all the stock metro apps (mail, calendar, photos, etc.) and adding more features and capabilities to the metro environment in general. And release the rumored Surface stick to connect to any HDMI screen.

Last edited:

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I want to learn that MS has been secretly working all year on improving metro and all of the Surface hardware. That they'll have an Update 2 that's bigger and better than the jump from 8 to 8.1 last year.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been playing with a Dell V8 today and really like it, but if I was to spend my own money I would rather a Surface Mini with full fat Windows, and the MS build quality with a digitiser.

And yes, yes, yes the Metro apps need a real serious update as you will use them mostly on a 8" device and while it nice having a fully featured browser the apps leave a lot to be desired. Mail and Calendar aren't so bad but my word the rest need work. WPC could at lead by example and make a Metro app...

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
With the focus on note-taking (according to Neowin), Microsoft's got a very compelling idea with the Surface Mini. There are no shortage of 7-8 inch tablets, even in the Windows sphere, so an overt focus on note taking and writing really hones them in on a clear audience.

While the general Windows Store app situation could use some work, if the person is more concerned about note-taking, productivity (e.g. giving presentations, annotating, reading, etc) and general consumption tasks (e.g. web browsing, music and videos), the Surface Mini would be a great device. I will certainly buy one,

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
With the focus on note-taking (according to Neowin), Microsoft's got a very compelling idea with the Surface Mini. There are no shortage of 7-8 inch tablets, even in the Windows sphere, so an overt focus on note taking and writing really hones them in on a clear audience.

While the general Windows Store app situation could use some work, if the person is more concerned about note-taking, productivity (e.g. giving presentations, annotating, reading, etc) and general consumption tasks (e.g. web browsing, music and videos), the Surface Mini would be a great device. I will certainly buy one,
If notetaking is a high priority then no Windows tablet should be considered, IMO. Not even the Surface Pro with an active Wacom digitizer gets great reviews. And the Pro is basically an ultrabook in tablet form.

I haven't found a Windows tablet with note-taking abilities that match the Galaxy Note line of tablets... or even the iPad.

on a side note:
Microsoft has done a poor job IMO, in producing an "appliance"-type operating system for tablets. They are still treating tablet operating systems the same as they did back in 2002. Sure, touch-integration and interface are tremendously much better, but in terms of support and maintenance it is no different. They treat tablet OSes the same as desktop.

Even Windows RT is a desktop-type battleship OS that requires all the maintenance and hand-holding to maintain optimal performance as full Windows 8 for the desktop. Every update that Microsoft releases for Windows RT results in hours or sometimes a day or two of intervention on my part to iron out the wrinkles and workaround bugs introduced.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping the surface mini comes to the market real soon.

It would replace my hptouchpad and asus eee pad.
95% of the time it would be left on the couch and used to browse while i watch tv.
RT would be fine with me.

1080 screen is a must.
Somewhere around 8 inches would be great.
Hopefully we get a full size usb port.
Would also like it to charge with micro usb.

Been a few rumors in the last ten days or so, hope they are true, i'm getting tired of waiting.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If notetaking is a high priority then no Windows tablet should be considered, IMO. Not even the Surface Pro with an active Wacom digitizer gets great reviews. And the Pro is basically an ultrabook in tablet form.

I haven't found a Windows tablet with note-taking abilities that match the Galaxy Note line of tablets... or even the iPad.

on a side note:
Microsoft has done a poor job IMO, in producing an "appliance"-type operating system for tablets. They are still treating tablet operating systems the same as they did back in 2002. Sure, touch-integration and interface are tremendously much better, but in terms of support and maintenance it is no different. They treat tablet OSes the same as desktop.

Even Windows RT is a desktop-type battleship OS that requires all the maintenance and hand-holding to maintain optimal performance as full Windows 8 for the desktop. Every update that Microsoft releases for Windows RT results in hours or sometimes a day or two of intervention on my part to iron out the wrinkles and workaround bugs introduced.
100% false :)

1. The Surface Pro is a fantastic note-taking device. The device gives me the capacity to record notes in practically every way possible, e.g. typed notes plus drawn diagrams and graphs, written notes, typed only, etc. Of course OneNote plays the central role in this regard (especially with the OneDrive sync and ability to read hand-written notes on Windows Phone). The fact that the pen is also compatible with Office 2013 - e.g. Word and PowerPoint - as well as the PDF Reader, the Surface Pro is the terminal-to-task for everything to do with notes and annotations at work. Moreover, the 'ultrabook in tablet form' aspect gives me the ability to use Adobe Creative Cloud and other content creation programs.

2. I'm not 100% sure about your experiences with Windows RT, but I suspect it might be related to Surface (first-gen) more so than Windows RT. I have a Surface 2 (for my mom) and the update and 'maintenance' (not much given that .exe doesn't run on it) has been fine.

3. Comparing to iPad? The iPad doesn't even have an active digitizer or readily attachable keyboard.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
100% false :)

1. The Surface Pro is a fantastic note-taking device. The device gives me the capacity to record notes in practically every way possible, e.g. typed notes plus drawn diagrams and graphs, written notes, typed only, etc. Of course OneNote plays the central role in this regard (especially with the OneDrive sync and ability to read hand-written notes on Windows Phone). The fact that the pen is also compatible with Office 2013 - e.g. Word and PowerPoint - as well as the PDF Reader, the Surface Pro is the terminal-to-task for everything to do with notes and annotations at work. Moreover, the 'ultrabook in tablet form' aspect gives me the ability to use Adobe Creative Cloud and other content creation programs.
100% false? So the Surface Pro is NOT an ultrabook in tablet form?! :winktongue:

Seriously though, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your Surface Pro. It's great when a consumer device syncs up with a person's use cases.

2. I'm not 100% sure about your experiences with Windows RT, but I suspect it might be related to Surface (first-gen) more so than Windows RT. I have a Surface 2 (for my mom) and the update and 'maintenance' (not much given that .exe doesn't run on it) has been fine.

3. Comparing to iPad? The iPad doesn't even have an active digitizer or readily attachable keyboard.
I have owned an RT and currently own a Surface 2. I am not alone in experiencing issues with system updates and maintenance. But glad to hear that your mom is not experiencing any of those issues. Misery may like company, but I don't wish these headaches on anybody.

Why are you comparing a full-function PC in tablet form (Surface Pro) with a tablet appliance (iPad)? It is more appropriate to compare the Surface 2/RT to the iPad. Neither of which include an active digitizer. If you really want to do that then we'd need to talk about the Surface Pro having a cooling fan and weighing twice as much as an iPad Air.

Comparing support for capacitive stylus, the Surface RT/2 is worse than the iPad 4. It was much worse with Windows RT 8.0, and Microsoft made some changes in 8.1 to improve things. Under 8.0 the only way to get acceptable inking was to use the Adonit Jot. (foam or rubber tip stylus did not work well). With 8.1, performance is great with a rubber tip stylus, but now the Adonit Jot doesn't work well.

I have a "readily attachable keyboard" for my iPad... the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover works well. It isn't as sleek, thin, and near-full function as my TypeCover 2 (which is absolutely the best mobile keyboard period, minus the trackpad)

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
100% false? So the Surface Pro is NOT an ultrabook in tablet form?! :winktongue:

Seriously though, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your Surface Pro. It's great when a consumer device syncs up with a person's use cases.

I have owned an RT and currently own a Surface 2. I am not alone in experiencing issues with system updates and maintenance. But glad to hear that your mom is not experiencing any of those issues. Misery may like company, but I don't wish these headaches on anybody.

Why are you comparing a full-function PC in tablet form (Surface Pro) with a tablet appliance (iPad)? It is more appropriate to compare the Surface 2/RT to the iPad. Neither of which include an active digitizer. If you really want to do that then we'd need to talk about the Surface Pro having a cooling fan and weighing twice as much as an iPad Air.

Comparing support for capacitive stylus, the Surface RT/2 is worse than the iPad 4. It was much worse with Windows RT 8.0, and Microsoft made some changes in 8.1 to improve things. Under 8.0 the only way to get acceptable inking was to use the Adonit Jot. (foam or rubber tip stylus did not work well). With 8.1, performance is great with a rubber tip stylus, but now the Adonit Jot doesn't work well.

I have a "readily attachable keyboard" for my iPad... the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover works well. It isn't as sleek, thin, and near-full function as my TypeCover 2 (which is absolutely the best mobile keyboard period, minus the trackpad)
I compare the two because I only use one device for most work tasks, i.e. the Surface Pro. I'm not in need of having to depend on an iPad and a laptop.

For example, at work when I have to meet with my supervisor and get them up to speed on a specific document, I can carry my Surface Pro like a tablet and run them through the piece. They can (and have, many times) used the pen to insert a few short notes or annotations -- while walking. Have you tried showing someone work using your laptop while walking? Compared to a Surface Pro it looks archaic and stupid, yet it happens far too frequently.

As for iPad. When we're in meetings I've seen a few people bring iPads, usually to read PDFs and surf the web for quick referencing or the like. The hilarious part though is the reality that many of people carry actual pen and paper to take notes on the side, or even a laptop! Again, the Surface Pro is one device where all that -- i.e. reading, web surfing and writing -- takes place on one system.

Comparing devices on paper is a cop out, we should compare real-life use cases and evaluate which one is genuinely more useful. From what I have seen and experienced with the iPad, the Surface Pro is the exponentially better device. Yes, the iPad Air is a lighter and sleeker device than the Surface Pro, but why is it at every meeting it is accompanied with a small notepad, pen and a Logitech keyboard, if not some Lenovo or MacBook? On the one hand (for many people) it solves the challenge of having to carry multiple things to a meeting (iPad + paper/pen + laptop); on the other hand, it retains that power of a laptop, providing professionals that added versatility (to access certain programs or take on tasks) on the go.

As for a readily available keyboard, nothing is more 'ready' than snapping a Type Cover to a Surface. Devices that depend on Bluetooth add a layer of friction IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tongkhoyenphat