I have an Idol and I don’t have any performance issues with Edge other than rendering. Edge was never available on WP 8.1 so you must be thinking about Internet Explorer 11. Windows 10 Mobile indeed runs better on devices with ample RAM. Monument Browser isn't any better than Edge for rendering pages but it does have a built-in AdBlock and works with Continuum.
    Agree. No issues here with my Idol4s.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    03-20-2017 03:41 PM
    I have an Idol and I don’t have any performance issues with Edge other than rendering. Edge was never available on WP 8.1 so you must be thinking about Internet Explorer 11. Windows 10 Mobile indeed runs better on devices with ample RAM. Monument Browser isn't any better than Edge for rendering pages but it does have a built-in AdBlock and works with Continuum.
    Thanks for the info. Regarding Edge: I didn't mean WP 8.1 though -- I meant Windows 8 (PC). On Edge (win 8 pc), no matter the computer, every time I would hit "back" on the browser it would take forever to load the page.
    03-20-2017 06:01 PM
    Perhaps wait for the upcoming Sony phones running Jolla. I know that got my attention.
    Thanks for that. I missed it. Now it has my attention.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-20-2017 08:13 PM
    Yeah, Edge works really well at least on higher end devices. It's very fast on my 1520 and 950 Xl. It just absolutely demolishes the battery. I mean an hour at the most of using Edge and the battery goes from 100% to 0%. The only issue is that it still doesn't sync favorites from Edge on other devices to Edge on the phone because..well...Microsoft.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-20-2017 08:21 PM
    Yeah, Edge works really well at least on higher end devices. It's very fast on my 1520 and 950 Xl. It just absolutely demolishes the battery. I mean an hour at the most of using Edge and the battery goes from 100% to 0%. The only issue is that it still doesn't sync favorites from Edge on other devices to Edge on the phone because..well...Microsoft.
    Yeah I wish that Edge was more ​battery friendly.
    It really doesn't help matters when you have to use it as a workaround because that's your only choice and that's what you have to deal with.
    For quick things, it's fine. For 15+ minute sessions, it goes quick. :(

In my experience, I have noticed​ that I get slightly better battery life by not using it.
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-20-2017 11:33 PM
    Thanks for the info. Regarding Edge: I didn't mean WP 8.1 though -- I meant Windows 8 (PC). On Edge (win 8 pc), no matter the computer, every time I would hit "back" on the browser it would take forever to load the page.
    Kind of a side note, but how are you using Edge on a Windows 8 machine?
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-21-2017 07:09 AM
    Thanks for that. I missed it. Now it has my attention.
    For me that was the biggest/most interesting news from MWC this year.
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    03-21-2017 08:31 AM
    I have had my iPhone SE for almost a year and I still really like it a lot. Now that new storage levels have been announced, I'm debating if I should upgrade to the 32gb or not. I'm one of those weirdos who is fine with 16gb.

In related news, I have a Pixel on the way and since I just dropped money for that, I don't know if I want to drop more money at this time for a storage bump, but I don't think I would be opposed to doing it next month though LOL.

The X Compact was a bust camera wise. I think I'm done with Sony.

Edit: @Joe920 thoughts on the 128gb SE? Are you going to keep your 6s+ or go the SE route?
    Last edited by libra89; 03-21-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    Laura Knotek and Joe920 like this.
    03-21-2017 09:05 AM
    The original announcement out of MWC said a range of Sony phones will run Jolla. The X was the only phone they displayed. Having the XZ now for a few weeks the camera is very good even lacking OIS. I think what struck me about this news was that it confirmed the momentum Jolla was generating after China announced their large investment in the OS.
    03-21-2017 09:40 AM
    The original announcement out of MWC said a range of Sony phones will run Jolla. The X was the only phone they displayed. Having the XZ now for a few weeks the camera is very good even lacking OIS. I think what struck me about this news was that it confirmed the momentum Jolla was generating after China announced their large investment in the OS.
    That can be interesting to try out. I don't have anything against Sony. Just tired of their smaller phones having cameras that suck in low light. The XZ is probably different though.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-21-2017 09:54 AM
    Edit: @Joe920 thoughts on the 128gb SE? Are you going to keep your 6s+ or go the SE route?
    Ha, I was just headed over to this thread to post about the availability of a 128GB SE. I think it would probably have been a better buy for me. The pricing on that model is close to what I paid for a like-new 64GB 6S+, and I'm already finding myself having to manage storage space by keeping some albums off the 6S+. 128GB would be great.

That said, having lived with the 6S+ for a while the thing I dislike the most is the fact that it takes bad low-light pictures. I guess I take a lot of sunset pics and late evening shots, and the grainy skies I get with the iPhone kind of kill those pics. I think the SE has that same camera, so it wouldn't resolve my biggest gripe with the iPhone.

On a related note, I'm still super annoyed with the default camera app forcing people to use 4:3 aspect ratio. The 3rd party camera apps that allow 16:9 are OK, but not great, so I can either have 16:9 pictures and a bad user experience, or an OK native camera app that shoots pics that look stupid on the phone (black bars on the side) or manually crop all pics down to 16:9. I'm still amazed there are iPhone users that say "just crop all your pictures if you like 16:9". Eh.. RDF much?

TL;DR: iPhone SE 128GB: same great apps + same crappy camera experience = no buy :)
    Last edited by Joe920; 03-21-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    03-21-2017 11:00 AM
    Ha, I was just headed over to this thread to post about the availability of a 128GB SE. I think it would probably have been a better buy for me. The pricing on that model is close to what I paid for a like-new 64GB 6S+, and I'm already finding myself having to manage storage space by keeping some albums off the 6S+. 128GB would be great.

That said, having lived with the 6S+ for a while the thing I dislike the most is the fact that it takes bad low-light pictures. I guess I take a lot of sunset pics and late evening shots, and the grainy skies I get with the iPhone kind of kill those pics. I think the SE has that same camera, so it wouldn't resolve my biggest gripe with the iPhone.

On a related note, I'm still super annoyed with the default camera app forcing people to use 4:3 aspect ratio. The 3rd party camera apps that allow 16:9 are OK, but not great, so I can either have 16:9 pictures and a bad user experience, or an OK native camera app that shoots pics that look stupid on the phone (black bars on the side) or manually crop all pics down to 16:9. I'm still amazed there are iPhone users that say "just crop all your pictures if you like 16:9". Eh.. RDF much?

TL;DR: iPhone SE 128GB: same great apps + same crappy camera experience = no buy :)
    Thank you for answering! That sucks that it takes bad low light pictures for you, but I understand why you wouldn't bother with it.
    03-21-2017 01:42 PM
    You have to set it up but I have my bookmarks from IE11, Firefox and mobile IE11 synced up. Don't ask me how it's done since I did it when W10M first came out.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    03-21-2017 04:19 PM
    It used to work when W10M 1st came out. It stopped around the time of the Anniverdary update or shortly after. I have spent countles hours across all my devices and even contacted MS support regarding the issue. To this day, across 3 W10M phones, none of them will sync the favorites that I have syncing across all my other devices. My laptop, Surface and Surface Pro, Kangaroo, and Nuvision tablet all sync correctly. Not 1 of my phones syncs favorites at all.
    03-21-2017 06:30 PM
    I have had my iPhone SE for almost a year and I still really like it a lot. Now that new storage levels have been announced, I'm debating if I should upgrade to the 32gb or not. I'm one of those weirdos who is fine with 16gb.

In related news, I have a Pixel on the way and since I just dropped money for that, I don't know if I want to drop more money at this time for a storage bump, but I don't think I would be opposed to doing it next month though LOL.
    I might do the SE upgrade at some point but not anytime soon. I only use about 7-8 gb on my phones (yes I checked them all). I'll have to give the Pixel a chance first.

On that note about the Pixel, I'm both excited and nervous about it. Excited because I finally have a great small Android phone to hopefully really like. Nervous because "stock" Android might not interest me. The Honor 8 has a lot of cool additions that I like and going from that to the Pixel is scary.
    Rinsun likes this.
    03-21-2017 09:23 PM
    Kind of a side note, but how are you using Edge on a Windows 8 machine?
    Wasn't it called Edge? It wasn't IE. Maybe I have the name wrong. I upgraded all machines to Win 10 awhile ago, but I remember the touch-screen based version of the browser was just so slow.

So is the consensus that Edge on Win 10 mobile really that much of a battery hog though? That can't be true for everyone right?
    03-22-2017 03:39 AM
    Wasn't it called Edge? It wasn't IE. Maybe I have the name wrong. I upgraded all machines to Win 10 awhile ago, but I remember the touch-screen based version of the browser was just so slow.

So is the consensus that Edge on Win 10 mobile really that much of a battery hog though? That can't be true for everyone right?
    I think it's a device and/or settings issue. I couldn't be happier with the battery life on the Idol. Because of the app gap, I use Edge on a very regular basis.

libra89 and Player Piano like this.
    03-22-2017 07:13 AM
    I think it's a device and/or settings issue. I couldn't be happier with the battery life on the Idol. Because of the app gap, I use Edge on a very regular basis.

Yeah I have to agree. On my experience with the 950 and its okay battery life, the Edge drain is way more noticeable. On a phone like the 4S, it probably feels less bad.
    03-22-2017 07:51 AM
    So I got my Pixel yesterday and it's really fast. The only thing I'm missing so far from the Honor 8 is that it has a silent mode. I'm missing that the most. The fact that it's either vibrate or a dnd mode is an annoying thing I forgot that "stock" android like phones have.
    03-23-2017 09:33 AM
    So I got my Pixel yesterday and it's really fast. The only thing I'm missing so far from the Honor 8 is that it has a silent mode. I'm missing that the most. The fact that it's either vibrate or a dnd mode is an annoying thing I forgot that "stock" android like phones have.
    Wish you all the best with your new Pixel.
    Do you have the Honor 8 as well now ? ☺️
    03-23-2017 12:22 PM
    Wish you all the best with your new Pixel.
    Do you have the Honor 8 as well now ? ☺️
    Thank you! I do still have it, but I plan to go a week with the Pixel and see how I like it. If it goes well, I'll add another week. And after that 2nd week (or maybe even during), I'll sell one of the two for sure.
    Rinsun and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-23-2017 12:26 PM
    That can be interesting to try out. I don't have anything against Sony. Just tired of their smaller phones having cameras that suck in low light. The XZ is probably different though.
    I really haven't tried low light photos with the XZ so I cannot say if also doesn't suck. That phone has just been a phone for trying on Android for size. Since swapping my sim from my 950 to my iPhone 7 plus there is one huge feature of the iPhone that is making it very hard to swap my sim to the XZ and that is battery life. The 7+ battery life is absolutely amazing. I was just recently out of town for 2 nights and I didn't even bother to bring a charger when packing.
    03-23-2017 01:33 PM
    I really haven't tried low light photos with the XZ so I cannot say if also doesn't suck. That phone has just been a phone for trying on Android for size. Since swapping my sim from my 950 to my iPhone 7 plus there is one huge feature of the iPhone that is making it very hard to swap my sim to the XZ and that is battery life. The 7+ battery life is absolutely amazing. I was just recently out of town for 2 nights and I didn't even bother to bring a charger when packing.
    Ohh okay, I see. Wow, I can believe that. I have heard that the battery life of the 7+ is excellent. My coworker loves that about it too.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-23-2017 01:43 PM
    Now they've really done it. I don't know if it's league-wide or just the American Airlines Arena but no more paper tickets to see my beloved Miami Heat. Have to download an app to buy and scan tickets at the gate and guess who doesn't have the app?

aximtreo, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-23-2017 10:47 PM
    Now they've really done it. I don't know if it's league-wide or just the American Airlines Arena but no more paper tickets to see my beloved Miami Heat. Have to download an app to buy and scan tickets at the gate and guess who doesn't have the app?

That's messed up! Not sure why they decided to do that.
    Laura Knotek and fatclue_98 like this.
    03-24-2017 10:17 AM
4,129 ... 161162163164165 ...