Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Dark_Shroud

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Android is annoying to me and iOS looks like crap and is a pia to use.

I have a Lumia 521 with a 64GB mSD card and I'm looking forward to upgrading to a Cityman and hopefully a 128 mSD card to go with it.

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
The worrying thing for me is as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, MS seem more interested in their apps on iOS and Android than they do on their own platform. I mean just imagine Google did that, there would be an outrage. Apart from the fan boys why would anyone go to Windows Phone? What compelling reason is there? There really isn't any. I am a MS ****** but feel like they are giving us the middle finger.

The iPhone event is next week, with that hopefully there will be some clearance deals to be had on the iPhone 6. I might be seriously tempted to move, as much as I hate to say it, I can't see MS going anywhere in the future. W10 Mobile certainly isn't going to be their saviour.

Geebox

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
The quick answer is YES, but it would have to be a flagship/premium phone. I have and still currently use my Lumina 928. It still works great as a everyday high use device that my next phone would have to be better. Also for me it needs to a Lumina as the build, quality and looks are great to me. Just saying....

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely yes! My L720 has been reliable for over 2 years and I can't say that I have missed any very important apps. The phone still works as smoothly as day one and just to be different from the iPhone and Android crowd I'm now after a 830 as my upgrade.

MrGecko

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
YES!! I absolutely love my Icon, hate my provider; Verizon. I am just waiting for the next Flagship phone before jumping to a T-Mobile or Wal-Mart plan. My only drawback is the limited amount of Apps (banking, credit cards, Disneyworld, softcard, etc.) that are available. Windows 10 on the mobile will spawn many providers to start producing apps for this platform. Microsoft just needs to keep it's word in a reasonable time.

redmond33

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
No. Im gonna use my 930 till its broken and then i will switch to iOS. Fed up with the low quality apps and the non existent progress with WP

advocatew8

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Sure will, my 930 is currently serving me well. I have not got anything against apple or android it's simply that windows phone does everything I need to do and it does it well - if it's not broken don't fix it for me. I understand the app gap can be a turn off for some people but I have all the apps I need and I project Astoria takes off then things can only get better. The only decision to make is which windows mobile to get next :)

adkrish22290

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Can't believe that a NOKIA FAN like you settled for the lowly standards of an android offering. You may not like Microsoft or their OS, that's personal. But coming from NOKIA I don't think any device out there can stand for what NOKIA devices did when they were in their hey days. In the world of android the 'perfect device, perfect OS' combo is totally non-existent. I guess it's just your hatred for MS that made you abandon WP. I've also been with WP for the last 3 years, a budget offering and I don't think any other OS other than windows on phones can in the least, stand for the essence that NOKIA did. I'm staying here (MS) until and if NOKIA releases a windows phone (again).

You are generalising here. There is no hard and fast rule that every Nokia fan or ex-user must embrace WP. After Nokia's demise, many Nokia fans have shifted allegiance to Lagdroid, not only DJCBS.

And Nokia will not be returning to the Windows platform I'm afraid, they've already decided to focus on Lagdroid devices made in China and only marketed by them (like Indian OEM handsets).

anon(1150859)

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely. I purchased the original iPhone and every one after that up to 5s on release day. Yes, standing in lots of lines each year, and I loved ios for a very long time. A bit over a year ago, having become bored with ios and seeing a Windows phone with the live tiles, along with an offer from my workplace to provide a Windows phone, I tried it out. I had the 830 first, and then switched to the HTC One M8 which I am currently using. After a year, I wouldn't go back to iOS. The UI seems dated and the home screen doesn't do anything. I can unlock my WP and see lots of information without doing anything, like my next appointment (that is a big deal), the five day forecast, current date and time, trending news, new feeds from Windows Central etc. All I see on iOS home screen is a bunch of icons.

My only mistake was moving the HTC to Win10 Mobile about eight weeks ago. I thought I could go back, but then I read the fine print and while all other HTC models can go back, not the Verizon model. Soooo, its been very frustrating as Win10 Mobile is far from ready for release. Perhaps the next insider's release will fix a lot of things, at least that is my hope. On v8.1, the phone was a wonder and I was very pleased.

I would love to get the 950xl when it comes out, but I've heard that Verizon is not going to offer the 950s, and my workplace is tied to Verizon. I may have to bite the bullet and give up my work device and go back to ATT and BYOD if that is what it takes to get a 950xl. Or perhaps I'll just keep my HTC for work, and get a 640xl for home, not sure yet. IMHO, J

metroversal

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I honestly don't know.

I've been using Windows Phone since the Lumia 800 came out (that was a stunning device), I converted all my family and a couple of friends to Windows Phones. But now I feel like the future of the platform isn't very clear.

Let's be honest, the new Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL are just UGLY (of course this is just my opinion). Most of Nokia talented designers are gone and the result is cheap looking devices.

Windows 10 Mobile has a problem of UI/UX fragmentation, I don't dislike the UI but it could be so much better if MS makes the right changes.

My next phone may be one of these: Lumia 1520, Lumia 830, Nexus 6 or Moto X.

Still undecided...

comicalmoodydan

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
No I wouldn't I had used both a 635 and a 640 for a while. I loved the UI and stability and integration of the phone so Windows Phone has some great features and it's a nice mobile OS. However the lack of apps got annoying to me, many apps are missing period. However even the ones that Windows have are inferior to iOS and android and get rarely if ever updated. I also started to have an issue with Facebook Messenger and after a month it was still not fixed. I gave up and went to an iPhone and while I miss some things about Windows Phone having actual apps that are useful and updated often is definitely the thing I need and Windows Phone always failed at that.

Jaffer Alawi

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It's simple why people put up with it. Apps. People want apps and they want them now. Because Windows Phone is late to the game it's lacking on the app front. As a result people don't want it. As a result devs won't develop for it so again people won't buy it. Chicken and egg problem.

I guess that makes sense for most people. For me, there isn't really many apps I use on Android that are not on WP or have an alternative (Besides Chase Bank app) so the app situation isn't that big of a deal for me.

jd63636

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Maybe, I would like to switch back.

I went from the HTC 8X which I found to be an excellent device to a Lumia Icon and after a very disappointing experience with my Lumia Icon to a Droid Turbo which got me hooked on Motorolas near pure android experience. But due to Verizon having serious service issues where I work and spend most of my day they released me from my contract so I switched to AT&T and a galaxy S6 Active which is a fine enough device to get me by for the time being.
I am a huge fan of Google maps but can live with Here maps and I also can live without my credit union app. So it will come down to the quality of the Lumia 950 and Win 10 mobile experience.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I can honestly say that No, I will not be purchasing another Windows Phone, Microsoft Mobile or otherwise.

Windows [10] Mobile has put the metaphorical nail in the coffin of the few remaining features that drew me to the Windows Phone platform. It's a completely foreign OS to me that's wearing but a mere shell of it's former self (the Start screen).

If I could afford it I would buy me a Nextbit Robin, seeing as the design is superior to current upcoming handsets and I can get all my Microsoft services on Android (incl. Cortana), but until then I shall stick to my Lumia 635 running Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1. At least it still works. :\

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I've tried IOS and Android but seem to always comeback to Windows Phone. I'm really a fan of the tile interface and simplicity of Windows Phone. IOS and Android home screens are messy and disorganized and you flip through pages and pages of Apps - PIA in my opinion. However they have all my major Apps - TD Bank, Geico, Yahoo IM, Google Voice, Garmin Connect and my diabetes app. My Fitness Pal never works on Windows Phone always crashes.

On my iPhone 6 Bluetooth never works correctly, battery life is dismal and it is a data pig. My Android M8 is always updating, the status bar is always cluttered with messages, a data pig, battery life is ok. The one feature I admire the most on both platforms is NFC Payment. I really hope that Microsoft gets this feature going in the US. What I enjoy most in my 830 is the built in wireless charging, good camera, how lite it is on data usage and form factor.

Beyond the lack of apps there is a lack of third party accessories for Lumia devices compared to IPhone and Android.

Despite the cons, I will more than likely purchase another Windows Phone but hope that with the introduction of Windows 10 and universal Apps that the App Gap will close and I will have everything I need and more apps that I want. Hopefully Microsoft gets there NFC payment system working and comes to market with devices more quickly. Not just low end but mid to upper.

Vernon Vincent

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
For myself - it comes down to the carrier. I'm on Verizon, so as long as the Lumia 950XL is on Verizion - I am sold. I love the Continuum features and Windows Phone works very well for me. But I'm not willing to switch carriers - my family phones are on Verizon, complete with discounts and stuff - and I can't get as good a deal on AT&T.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire