Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

StarMerc698

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
If there is a phone come December that interests me enough to stay, then yeah, I'm on board for hanging through another cycle on Windows Phone. My last 21 months have been a pleasure to use, and the way Windows Phone is compatible with my Xbox One compared to the other OS's has kept me a fan.

Not to say that I wouldn't jump back to Android, as the new Blackberry phone with the slide-out keyboard is tempting (I'm tired of touchscreen keyboards, as the accuracy just isn't there yet, and I'm not a fan of auto-correct handling my conversation for me), but unless Windows Phone has a very lackluster showing come this holiday season, I don't see me going anywhere. My Ativ-S Neo has been an absolute blast to own, and all day battery life while my wife is on her second or third recharge is great (She has an S4).

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
It gets tough to be loyal towards MS.

Are they towards us who stayed since WP7?
Microsoft releases its new Snap to Pin app for Android - Microsoft News
Skype for Android and iOS gets a new design with the latest update - Microsoft News

Why do they work for iOS and Android first when there is a Skype mess with Windows right now?
Wy do they allocate menpower for other platforms first?

What should I make of such headlines?

Isn't buyig an Android even more safe to use MS ecosystem in the future?

Maybe we should speak up louder:
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...0-microsoft-s-own-apps-should-target-wp-first
I've compared today skype on my iphone, the new skype and skype on my colleague's 930. You can guess the result...It's no question that Microsoft's apps look and perform better on Android and IOS which is a shame really. If Microsoft does not put effort in it's own platform, why should the devs??? You guys can yell all you want here, but the devs have seen how Microsoft "supports" it's own platform and this is the result: old apps, lack of features, slow updates, missing apps.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I would, but that is primarily because I am already invested in MS stuff and I can't stand Apple stuff. "I" have an iPad 2, Lumia 800, 920, 1020, 535, another 1020 and 830. A Toshiba Windows PC, a Lenovo tablet PC and a mid-2011 iMac that looks and runs great. The iMac is a pain to use for me, but it works for my wife.
The Lumias are great phones, especially the 1020, but I have to admit the app gap is annoying. My first smartphone was the HTC Magic (Android) and when it came out every app advertised was for Apple. It was frustrating! Now, here I am again. It is difficult to always have to do without apps that would be nifty. The cameras, a huge deal for me, make up for it.

I like the OS and after my Android phones (what a mess they are after a while!) debacle and the ridiculous cost of iPhones...I see myself getting a 950XL or whatever when they become available in my country, i.e. mid 2016.

You do realize that both the 950 and 950xl will have high prices..do you?I bet the 950 will go somewhere over 550$ way over and the 950XL somewhere over 650$ towards 700$. Yes the Android has it's own problems with memory management on some devices, but it has much more and with better quality apps. Iphones may not have the latest HW but have a premium design, look and feel great, and the OS is not a total joke in respect of functionality.yes the design is boring in IOS but it's stable, lag free,optimized and has again much more and better quality apps. If you want to throw your money on these new MS so called flagships with the design of a 10year old child...be my guest..your cash..your call...but to spend that much on these :))) lol

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Been with WP for over a year now after I dropped my Nexus and got a cheap Lumia 630 which I've mostly really enjoyed. I was disappointed at how fast Microsoft released the better in almost every way Lumia 535 just 3 months after my phone had gone on sale in the UK! The problem now is the RAM issue means I can't load content heavy webpages and certain games just close, plus I wanna start taking decent photos again. The biggest problem by far for me is Apps. Facebook has less features, so does Instagram Beta. I use a 3rd party Twitter app which is good, but still no RunKeeper, Clash of Clans, Capital One, Game of War etc.

I just feel that Microsoft will always treat its mobile division as an experiment. Too many of its engineers use iPhones still. Steve Jobs / Tim Cook wouldn't allow that at Apple. But the good thing means that should I go back to Android or try iOS the Microsoft Apps I use (OneDrive, OneNote, Cortana) are available elsewhere.

As for hardware, these new leaks look super underwhelming. I was expecting Surface-impact designs not more of the same everyday Lumia. The last time Microsoft made a splash with mobile on an industrial level was with the 1020, that was too long ago. This was a great opportunity to launch Windows 10 on Mobile but they aren't taking it seriously. Therefore I may look at either the Edge+ Titanium, Mate S or 6S Plus. I've enjoyed Lumia though and would still recommend it to people who don't care too much about apps.

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes I would. I currently have 930 & love the design. The camera is great too & the system is more than zippy enough to cope with anything I've thrown at it. If Microsoft's next phones are an improvement I would have no hesitation.

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
About 7 months ago I bought a Moto G because I wanted to give Android another chance after ~5 years of Windows Phone. On the first few days, it was all fun and pretty snappy (with only a few "This app has stopped..etc"). About 2 weeks of so of use, it started lagging gradually, until it began lagging like crazy that it would drive me insane. The lag and freezes got to a point where it made me get really mad that I wanted to smash the damn phone. After a month of use, I just couldn't bear the constant lag and freezing so I sold the Moto G.

About a month after I sold the Moto G, I found a new LG G2 for a good price so I thought why not give Android a third chance especially when the phone I was getting was relatively a high-end phone (Snapdragon 800, 2Gb RAM..etc). So I bought it and I was quite happy with the performance out of the box. I've been using it since and while the performance is definitely much better than the Moto G, it still unfortunately lags, crashes and freezes frequently. There are times when it gets on my nerves when the phone lags heavily and refuses to responses due to what seems to be a memory leak issue with Lollipop.

So to answer your question, YES, ABSOLUTELY! I would get another Microsoft Mobile phone. Heck, my poor Samsung Ativ S Neo still performs better than the LG G2 despite the huge spec difference.

p.s. Maybe I was unlucky with both the Moto G and LG G2 and got defective units and that's why they performed horribly. However, if this is normal performance for Android phones then I don't understand how people could put up with them (especially when even a $70 WP8.1 Lumia 635 doesn't perform as bad)

You are not alone. I had exactly the same issue with Android. I had an S5 which had amazing specs, the lag got to much and I sold it. I have a 2013 Nexus 7 tablet. It lags also. It must just be android in general that lags.

Iron_Wraith

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I used a Win Mo phone back with my Touch Pro 2 on Sprint. Went to Android with a HTC EVO 4G on Sprint. Then to AT&T with the One X and One M7. Had been wanting to try Windows again during the One M7 timeframe.... I jumped ship and got the Icon. Nice phone - a little thicker than I wanted but nice screen and smooth OS. However, I can honestly say I miss the apps on android. I'm not a huge app user by any stretch but there are several that just doesn't exist and the few that do just don't have the quality. Oddly one of the biggest annoyances is tiles that aren't transparent either by no option or they don't work when they should etc. To those that say "well does your phone makes calls and if so be happy with it" I would have a flip phone if that was all I was after.
If android apps get successfully ported with Win 10 and the 950/950XL phones are worth the money I will stay but I'm not holding my breath. Microsoft seems to have as much direction as a feather in a windstorm with reinventing the wheel every year or two....
I would very much like to see Microsoft succeed with this platform but there's a 90% chance I'll be on the Samsung Note bandwagon when my contract is up.

Miti 1982

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I have gotten to the point where is hard to keep using my loyalty as an excuse to buy a Nokia/Microsoft smartphone.

I loved my Lumia 920 and I love my Lumia 930. The constant waiting for something to happen and be able to get the quality apps that are available on iOS and Android though is getting quite frustrating.

My last hopes lie with the Lumia 950. Having in mind all new apps, services (even Cortana) and devices from Microsoft work with the iPhone I will expect the Lumia 950 to wow me compared to the iPhone 6S. Otherwise to my great regret I will go for the iPhone as opposed to the Lumia 950.

So that is it, it will be either the Lumia 950 (dual-sim) or the iPhone 6S.

Last edited:

AlexC00L

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
In my country only come the 920 so i change to android on a moto x 2014, but i hate android jajaja if come to chile the new windows 10 i come back to windows phon!

Federico Turban

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Just buy a Lumia 735 last week, my third WP and (let's hope not soon) when the time cames, I will buy another WP, no doubt, but a Windows Mobile, because they support their devices better than OEMs working on the platform.

Also, love Windows Phone, it's just great and works amazing for me.

Chaosz

May 16, 2015
Visit site
YES!

I switched from iPhone2G to iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 to Samsung Note 2 to Lumia 1520. Even though I had good experiences with all of them (the Note 2 especially) I would still like my next phone to be a Windows phone (pref. a flagship one). The reason is mostly Windows 10. You can work on your laptop or play a game and switch to your phone and continue there with the same data (or savegame if it's supported by the game). It just works :)

shryx86

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I would buy another Microsoft phone in a second. I've had 2 iPhones, and I won't touch Android. My more than 2.5 year old Lumia 920 is still going strong where both iPhones were failing fast 18 months in. I don't trust the wild west open environment of Android. Beyond that I like the Windows mobile ecosystem more.

Federico Giampietro

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I bought an HTC One M9, great phone!
Now I'm waiting for the Win10 version.
I'm tired to spend for black pieces of plastic.
No more Lumia if Microsoft won't start to spend some tens of million in design & material research!

Sorry for my bad english.

Gunzta

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Let me put it this way, I certainly wouldn't buy anything else. I've tried Android and I have to support Apple devices at work. That would be a big no thanks on both counts from me.

For the few apps that I don't have in the store, I get so much more in return and as far as I'm concerend the trade off is an easy one to make. It bugs me that I don't have a UK Santander app, but not using the platform because of this just doesn't even enter my head. I can log on using the web interface fine and so its not really a big problem.

I'm far far too invested in the Microsoft eco system now to even think about changing. I'm more than happy with the multiple Microsoft mobile devices I have.

neogodless

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It's too soon to tell, for me. I had a Dell Venue Pro and then a lovely Lumia 920 for about two years. Since then I had to go through a few Android handsets to find something I really like. I found the camera on the first Moto G to be mediocre, and I hated Republic Wireless, so I had to sell that handset. Went back to the 920 for a while on a couple of AT&T MVNOs before settling on Cricket. Then I tried the 2nd gen Moto G and I was pretty happy with it. My bank has mobile deposits, which I do not care to live without, and my wife uses SnapChat, and I don't like being left out in the cold. I don't really care too much about other banking apps, like for credit cards, as I prefer NOT having them on my phone... but it is good to have the choice. Anyway, Android 5.0 made my Moto G slow down regularly, so I ended up with a Nexus 6, and it is fantastic. Great camera, very fast, great apps, great screen. Only complaint is finding somewhere to put it at a restaurant since it's generally uncomfortable to put in a front pocket!

So all that being said, if Windows 10 Mobile gains traction and developer support, and gets SnapChat and my state's credit union's app support, both of which are pretty darn unlikely, I would love to give it another shot. I do think the interface paradigm introduced by WP7 and refined in WP8/8.1 were really great, and I would still prefer them over widgets. Widgets can be very informative, but I prefer the glance / tile counters.

ltomovski

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
well I have had enough with my 930 (920, 800) - WP experience .. I am switching platforms .. the selling point for me was the camera and here maps .. but now all have here maps and both Galaxy S6 and IPhone 6 have way better camera than 930 .. So as soon as I am able to afford it, I am buying an android flagship .. ios is boring

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downloadtorose