Google Chromecast in Movies and TV app Windows 10

gaumzi

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
The new Movies and TV app for Windows 10 is great. I like it. Specially when I saw the Cast button on it.

1.jpg

But when I click it doesn't find the Google Chromecast. My Google Chrome can easily find Chromecast but the Movies and TV app doesn;t.

2.jpg

Anyone of you tried this functionality and can help in this issue???? :evil:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ah but, see, that's NOT the Chromecast symbol. The cast waves on Chromecast are on the bottom left corner of the rectangle.
That's indeed a cast button, but it's for Miracast. It shows me my LG TV when I click it as it's a Miracast enabled device.

gaumzi

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Ah but, see, that's NOT the Chromecast symbol. The cast waves on Chromecast are on the bottom left corner of the rectangle.
That's indeed a cast button, but it's for Miracast. It shows me my LG TV when I click it as it's a Miracast enabled device.

Is there any app or software other than Google Chrome that supports Chromecast....????

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Chromecast might eventually happen. but for today, that streaming button it's just for DLNA and Miracast devices.

about apps, well Tubecast would be the only really option I can think of on the store, I just found there is a video caster and Tube for Chromecast but who knows if it works.
But about local media files, you can try some Media Servers, some seem to support it, for example the one I use Universal media server have support for it since a while, but I think Plex and Mezzmo too.

Last edited:

gaumzi

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Chromecast might eventually happen. but for today, that streaming button it's just for DLNA and Miracast devices.

about apps, well Tubecast would be the only really option I can think of on the store, I just found there is a video caster and Tube for Chromecast but who knows if it works.
But about local media files, you can try some Media Servers, some seem to support it, for example the one I use Universal media server have support for it since a while, but I think Plex and Mezzmo too.

Hi thanks for suggestions. I installed Universal Media Server, but it shows No Renderers Were Found. What to do and how to cast videos. Can you tell me, or give me a link to setup it for Chromecast.

Thanks

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If I understand correctly, you want to cast your videos from your PC to your TV through Chromecast is that it?

If so, I suggest you install Plex Media Server. Yes, you'll be bound to using Chrome to use it but it's the best option. The problem is that the Chromecast uses a Google casting protocol (GoogleCast) and not a more common one like Miracast.
While that's no problem if you use Android phones and tablets, on the PC it becomes trickier as you'd need either Windows programs to support it (which is a rarity) or Windows apps (which is and will be even rarer I dare say). I wouldn't wait for Windows-related programs and apps to support Chromecast anytime soon.

robortiz59

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Actually, Chromecast has a little known capability to cast your entire screen, not just Chrome tabs. After installing Chromecast, and with Chrome open:

Click the Cast button again and then the small triangle (you probably never noticed it was there) in the top-right corner. Pick the "Cast screen/window (experimental)" option, select your Chromecast and you'll be asked if you "want Google Cast to share your screen".

Click yes and your computer's desktop will appear on the TV. While your screen is being shared in this way, you'll also see a box at the bottom of your laptop or PC screen reminding you that you're still sharing its contents. You can use this box to stop casting at any time, or simply hide it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, Chromecast has a little known capability to cast your entire screen, not just Chrome tabs.

This also works on mobile devices using the Cast Screen option. I can do this with my Nexus 6 by turning on the Wifi hotspot and connecting through that.

Chromecast is different than Miracast though in that it is not peer to peer. It connects through a network. In fact, if you're casting an app such as YouTube (not screen mirroring), you can get the video started and then disconnect or shut off the phone/tablet. The Chromecast will keep playing the video because it is getting connectivity from the network.

It is obvious that the Chromecast was not designed around screen mirroring, but it seems more to be a feature that was "tacked on." It isn't quite as user friendly as a device like a Miracast, but it does work quite well.

MrMeXyCaN

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
To stream an MP4 file on your computer to chrome cast just open google chrome (chrome cast extensions needs to be installed if they have not been already). Then while google chrome is open, drag and drop the file into chrome. Video will start playing in chrome. Now all you have to do is click on the cast button on top right and cast to your device.

joemb

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Try Videostream - Google chrome plugin that casts files directly from the PC. much more reliable than just casting a chrome tab or screen image.
try out the free version and then upgrade to premium which allows playlists etc.
Can also use an ios or android device as a remote control
been using it for a while great piec of software.

mizj

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
Hey i use Videostream for chromecast my movies are already downloaded into my computer, you can get the extension from the google chrome web store. I have the same problem i cannot watch movies from my movies and tv app even though it will ask to cast to device. oh well, i guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h