Found a solution for Nokia Lumia 730 gps problem

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Many people had problem with Lumia 730 gps. There is software issue .I was very irritated with this problem so I dig to find some solution.
Main cause of gps not locking or not accurate is that the phone is not using satellite as source instead it is using cellular .we can check in hardware test app ,it will show position source cellular .
To fix this software issue:
1: Turn on airplane mode
2: Now check position source in hardware test app,It will now show position source satellite and gps will work
3:turn off airplane mode
You will see that now your gps is working
But if again it changes to cellular repeat the above steps
(this fix is not permanent ,Microsoft has to fix the bug )

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the temporary fix... I'm guessing this is what is causing Here maps to freeze up and provide inaccurate positioning?

Is this a 730/735 problem or a WP8.1u2 problem?

gowthamgella

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Many people had problem with Lumia 730 gps. There is software issue .I was very irritated with this problem so I dig to find some solution.
Main cause of gps not locking or not accurate is that the phone is not using satellite as source instead it is using cellular .we can check in hardware test app ,it will show position source cellular .
To fix this software issue:
1: Turn on airplane mode
2: Now check position source in hardware test app,It will now show position source satellite and gps will work
3:turn off airplane mode
You will see that now your gps is working
But if again it changes to cellular repeat the above steps
(this fix is not permanent ,Microsoft has to fix the bug )

Actually this worked I have been searching for this since in bought this phone.... Do u have an idea whether its is fixed in preview builds????? Can u pls answer!!

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
@gurcharan sewak sing

very much apreciate ! i tested your solution and confirm that indeed harware "tests" indicates cellular by default. if i switch plane mode, it changes to satellite!

since then did you find a more practical way? does changing from sim 1 to 2 help? does re-downloading HERE help?

i am relieved that this issue is not HARDWARE related as many testing gps apps...locate me just FINE. so like you said it is a software issue.

note that my lumia is 640 xl dual sim !

thanx for any help

b8man

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I bought my lumia 730 one week ago and unfortunately, when I am in airplane mode the gps test stucks in initializing status. No signal from satellite(s). When airplane mode is off, it gets a position from the cellular network but it is way off my current location. I guess my gps receiver is dead. Anyone else who had/has the same issue ? Any other help would be much appreciated.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
humm...did you change try to change places and see if hardware tests works elsewhere? did you try changing your sim card port ? did you try hard reset and soft reset ? did you try in 2g mode only ? did you try another operator if possible?

@gurcharan sewak singh

is there any way to enable gps satellite by default ? hardware reset? windows 10? change sim port ?

i don't even have 3g enabled on my SIM ! so i really don't understand why this is happening on 90% of LUMIA phones !!!!

Why is MICROSOFT not fixing this HUGE problem ?

ALSO does anyone have an email to CONTACT microsoft ? if we all shut up on this issue...they will NEVER fix this..and i suspect that the new LUMIA 950XL will have the same GPS problems as all other lumias !!!

thank you guys !

Last edited:

gowthamgella

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Yes your right we should voice our problems otherwise we will not get a solution to this problem

humm...did you change try to change places and see if hardware tests works elsewhere? did you try changing your sim card port ? did you try hard reset and soft reset ? did you try in 2g mode only ? did you try another operator if possible?

@gurcharan sewak singh

is there any way to enable gps satellite by default ? hardware reset? windows 10? change sim port ?

i don't even have 3g enabled on my SIM ! so i really don't understand why this is happening on 90% of LUMIA phones !!!!

Why is MICROSOFT not fixing this HUGE problem ?

ALSO does anyone have an email to CONTACT microsoft ? if we all shut up on this issue...they will NEVER fix this..and i suspect that the new LUMIA 950XL will have the same GPS problems as all other lumias !!!

thank you guys !

Any idea whether this has been fixed in windows 10 preview

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
does not seem to be fixed in windows 10 according to some people....but final version will only be out in a few days...so who knows!

i just did a factory reset...gps seems a little better...but no happy

i just sent a mail to MS via my phone...setting and "rate it"...please do the same! it might help!

EDIT: @gowthamgella or anyone else !

WHAT does source GPS location "cellular" mean exactly (in hardware test app) ?! I disabled 3G in setting...and my SIM is 2G only !!! so how can that be possible to be on cellular ?

Last edited:

gowthamgella

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I may be wrong but from what I read, the positioning of GPS in old Lumia phones was satellite by default(accurate positioning) which would find the phones location without the help of a simcard or a Wi-Fi network. But on new Lumia gps source is cellular by default (which would find your location with help of cellular networks tower.. Therefore not much accurate)..u can change that by enabling flight mode but its is only a temporary fix

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
ok people i REALLY need your opinion here..i am going NUTS !!!

after one week of tests i can CONFIRM that GPS offline, only works when i AM close to HOME!!!!! WTF ??? yes first time i tested it was there...but 3km away and nothing GPS is dead !!! hardware tests does NOT work neither
why does GPS only work when home? i did everything: soft reset, hard reset, uninstall etc...nothing seems to FIX this!! any ideas would be appreciated !!!

does that mean that hardware wise my gps is ok ? i would prefer that the issue is software....how can i use gps outside my house ?!

b8man

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

After hard resetting my device, I tested gps with hardware tests and it got a location from satellite source with an accuracy of about 3 km.
I checked the coordinates online and it was 5 blocks away from my location.

After restarting the device, gps test freezes again in "Initializing Status". No signal from satellite :/
I did all the other things you mentioned with no luck.

after one week of tests i can CONFIRM that GPS offline, only works when i AM close to HOME!!!!! WTF ??? yes first time i tested it was there...but 3km away and nothing GPS is dead !!! hardware tests does NOT work neither
why does GPS only work when home? i did everything: soft reset, hard reset, uninstall etc...nothing seems to FIX this!! any ideas would be appreciated !!!

That is weird.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
redid tests today...i turned on gpsinfo and went to work....walking and walking 30mn from home...signal was a-gps cellular...but at least it worked. when i started to arrive next to my place (were the state radio and TV broadcast)...gps signal died !!! all day nothing...while my friend with L1520 has very good gps signal :(

after finishing work i came back home...when i was at about 2km...from house ....gpsinfo started working again sometimes with FULL-gps mode !!!!! have tested numerous time including just now at home ...and it works....
i just wish i understood what is happening...i will have to live with this....i love the 640 xl...

one weird thing is that various people online swear that their GPS was working...BEFORE the DENIM update...normally....
could be bad luck...could be denim could be a bug, could be hardware failure...hell if i knew...

too bad an app like gpsfix on android does not exist

why is microsoft no even saying a damn THING about this issue?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alec sander