8X Screen Too Narrow

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I went to Best Buy today to check out the 8X. I have to say that it is an amazing looking phone. The screen is vivid, the colors look great and it feels incredible in your hand. If you think it looks good in the photos that have been posted on the web, you're going to LOVE it in person!

Having said that, I currently have an HD7, so I am used to a 4.3 inch screen. As we know, the 4.3 inch screen of the 8X is a different aspect ratio - it's taller and narrower than the HD7 screen. The problem with that - for me anyway - is that makes the keyboard slightly narrower and everything else (web pages, etc.) are noticeably smaller as well in comparison.

I know - 1st world problems and all that - it's not a huge deal, but it's making me reconsider.

meshuganeh

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you look at the blue? Different reviews say it looks purple. Some say its very blue. What did you think? Did different carriers have different shades?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you look at the blue? Different reviews say it looks purple. Some say its very blue. What did you think? Did different carriers have different shades?

The blue looks blue, but in comparison to Best Buy blue, it does lean towards the purple side a bit. I'm not sure if it looks any different under natural light. It's great looking though - it really pops!

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a little purple IMO, but way more stylish than, say, the sort of blue you see in the SkyDrive app.

As for the screen, I had an HD7 before, so I feel your pain. The biggest issue is indeed typing; I keep missing letters - but I am adjusting to it, so it should be a non-issue soon enough.

I was slightly surprised (though I shouldn't have been) when I measured it up against my HD7, and I am in two minds about how I feel. On the one hand, the screen is great, sharp, clear, bright and it is definitely big enough - but on the other hand, if it was bigger I'd have been just as happy :p

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I think this is the perfect phone for those people who think a screen that is larger than 4 inches is too big. Although the 8X has a 4.3 inch screen, it feels more like 4 inches - it's just taller.

It feels like a step backwards (size-wise) to me, which sucks because it's such a beautiful device.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Yea I was considering the galaxy note 2 but went ahead and ordered this 8x. So I guess we shall see if I like the smaller screen or not

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

rlu168

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
A little bit narrower screen is not a problem. For me, It's now quicker for one hand typing.
Same sa you, my first WP7 phone is HD7. :)

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I went to AT&T today to try both (admitting to them I'm on verizon). I have to say, I had been all about the lumia before - the internal storage, the screen size, their exclusive apps....

The 8X felt more natural. Coming from iOS devices from the last four years to the 8X was less jarring. The second I held the lumia I was stretching my fingers out, trying to acclimate myself to its dimensions. I didn't dislike it, mind you.

But as soon as I held the 8x, I noticed it's dimensions were much more familiar. It was light, I could do everything with one hand. I saw the California blue model, and will be getting the black model on Verizon.

I don't think it was too narrow, I think the aspect ratio was just fine, but again, I'm coming from iOS.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Coming from typing on a ZuneHD for so long, there's nothing in the world that will have more cramped typing than portrait keyboard on the ZuneHD lol

Davidmuful

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It is weird how 48 pixels makes such a big difference in how the device feels, but like you I came from a HD7 and I adjusted to the 8X within two days. However, I do find the smiley section a little cramped.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

I'd say it leans more towards purple than blue but either way its a great colour. Its different to any other phone out there and its instantly recognisable.

Funny thing actually, everyone I've shown the phone to has asked where I got the case lol. I have to keep telling them that its not a case.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not excited when I see the direction phones are going with huge screens. I have an 8x on order after finally being able to hold one. I didn't realize why the 8x didn't feel as huge as other new phones, guess I wasn't aware the aspect ratio was different. For me the longer screen is a great compromise. I'd probably still rather have a 4" screen but am very happy with the 8x! Would be really awesome if they could trim some of the height off the top/bottom bezel, get rid of the Beats audio if you have to. Never-the-less, personally I much prefer the narrowness of the 8x. Great upgrade from the Trophy!

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not excited when I see the direction phones are going with huge screens. I have an 8x on order after finally being able to hold one. I didn't realize why the 8x didn't feel as huge as other new phones, guess I wasn't aware the aspect ratio was different. For me the longer screen is a great compromise. I'd probably still rather have a 4" screen but am very happy with the 8x! Would be really awesome if they could trim some of the height off the top/bottom bezel, get rid of the Beats audio if you have to. Never-the-less, personally I much prefer the narrowness of the 8x. Great upgrade from the Trophy!

It really does have a nice feel and look to it. I picked up the 8X and 920 yesterday and without a doubt I loved the feel and look of the 8X better.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
So how is the "narrow" screen? I plan on getting the 8X but going from the Galaxy Nexus to the 8X, typing is going to be much harder. Just wondering how I will do.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I came from an HD7 as well but i found on that i couldnt comfortably type one handed using just my thumb. Typing on the 8x that isnt a problem anymore. What i have found is that when im using my fingers to type im slightly missing the keys. Have had the phone 2 weeks now and have adjusted to the slight difference in size. Am also loving the intelligent texting as well - now ive sent off hundreds of texts the options that pop up for the next word are incredibly useful and im hardly typing at all anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes