Task Killer?

King Benneth

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I know that you can see what's currently running by holding the back button down but is there a way of editing what's running in the background? It's a little annoying having to keep tapping the back button. Thanks in advance.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Nope. But please be aware these apps are not running.

They are suspended to RAM - taking up zero processor time. And if the OS needs the RAM for something else, it will simply free up the RAM and you will not be able to resume the app.

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
But will that cause more battery drain? I've heard that not hitting the back button to exit apps causes them to drain your battery faster

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
On my L900 I opened as many things as would stay open in the background; mail, IE, a game, couple other apps. Then did overnight 8 hour idle tests. Absolutely no difference in battery drain with everything there or everything cleared. As a habit, I still use the back button more than I should, but it's really not necessary.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

They are suspended to RAM - taking up zero processor time. And if the OS needs the RAM for something else, it will simply free up the RAM and you will not be able to resume the app.
+1. Background apps are not running in the background at all.

King Benneth

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Oh that's great. I moved from Android over to WP8 and I was so used to having a task killer so I thought these apps were running in the background. I'll use the Windows button more now as I normally keep tapping the back button to get to the 'home' screen.

jusatin

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh that's great. I moved from Android over to WP8 and I was so used to having a task killer so I thought these apps were running in the background. I'll use the Windows button more now as I normally keep tapping the back button to get to the 'home' screen.

The exact thing that happened to me when I got my L800 a month back :p (Although I never used a task killer in android but manually keep hitting back to get out of the app :p)

Arafat Sa

Banned
Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

That is a misleading information. Some apps are indeed running in the background without notifying you and you won't be able to kill it directly from the Background Task setting on your phone. Take example of the Skype, Facebook and Viber apps. There is no way you can disable the skype process in the background after you logged in Skype same like Facebook and Viber. When you exit the application or make let it idle, it's still running in the background, you can still receive call and receive chat from others (example from the Skype) when the application is running the background even when the screen is locked! The solution for this is actually logout the Skype but that is not a practical solution. Some apps actually behave badly in the background and cause the battery to drain quickly. We really need a special task manager to view those running applications and kill them before they drain the battery (like android have). This is one of the OS design flaws but people not aware of it because they always believe when some apps are not running, they are actually suspended (free from processing). Of course this theory comes from Microsoft for marketing purpose.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon