Bluetooth phone quality

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think that either you're extremely unlucky (3 bad phones) or there is some sort of weird incompatibility between the phone and your specific vehicle's bluetooth system. I use the bluetooth in both my car and I have a standard bluetooth headset that I use to make calls and in both cases people either don't seem to notice that I'm on bluetooth or they actually report an increase in clarity over when I use my phone without bluetooth. Sorry you're having issues and hope that it gets fixed soon.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My call quality is better than my iPhone 4 according to people I normally talk to. One issue I have with all handsets in my car is turning the microphone level down, it defaults to high when I first pair a device and it ends up distorting my voice and amplifying background noise.

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Here is the response I received from HTC support. It doesn't really help much. Number 1 I don't understand. Is it turning the volume down on the phone which wouldn't make a difference or have the receiving user turn down their end, which I've done, but you still get the static. Beats is always off and different speakers wouldn't make a difference. Am I reading something wrong?

Thanks for contacting HTC Technical Support Center in regards to having sound issues with your bluetooth during calls.

Lou; I understand this can be a great inconvenience. According to what you tell me, the problem has been only with this type of phone, since with Android phones you had before there was no problem. Please follow this troubleshooting steps to improve the quality of the calls:

1) Lower the volume on by pressing down on the volume key

2) Turn Beats Sound enhancement off

3) Try different speakers or headphones

Keep in mind the following aspects while using this phone with your car BT system:

1 )The HTC WP series has a built in amplifier that is more powerful than those found on any other current smartphone. In most circumstances this will provide a best in class listening experience.

2) Certain audio sources such as incoming calls, other music or sound files may playback at too loud of a level when volume is high.

3) Speakers or headphones paired with the HTC 8X may have a distorted or crackling volume if the maximum audio from the 8X outputs at a greater level then the maximum speaker playback. Lower the volume on the device or try other speakers.

Grizzld

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with Bluetooth in my 2012 Toyota 4Runner. Prior to the 8x, I had an iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy Nexus—both sounded flawless. This is really frustrating and possibly a deal-breaker.

EDIT: I tried the Nokia 822 for a few days, and it sounded great when paired to the Bluetooth in my vehicle.

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I emailed tech support back and got this response. Not very promising, but we'll see.

Thanks for replying to HTC Technical Support Center.

Since this did not work to improve the quality of the call for the person receiving it, and you have already used other phones without any problems, the problem seems to be a bug on the operative system of your phone. We're committed to delivering a great customer experience. As such, we investigate all reported issues. If a hardware or software change is found to improve a customer experience, it will be deployed according to our standard, required processes. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced and appreciate your patience as we work quickly to investigate this issue.

Thanks for your continuous support of our products and services. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us through HTC Smartphones and Tablets - Support for HTC Cell Phones and Tablets or call us at +1-866-449-8358 from 6AM to 1AM EST, 7 days a week.

bwmiller

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had this issue as well with the 8x. Swapped the phone once to rule out hardware, and I've been able to reproduce the issue with the Bluetooth system in several different vehicles. The issue is so bad I've stopped using the Bluetooth at all for the moment.

Does anyone know if a smaller batch might exist with the bad Bluetooth issue?

Dale Kirby

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue as the OP with my 8x. My previous phones had no issue whatsoever. It is really disappointing because all other features of the phone seem great.

scottebulger

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Another person with exactly the same issue:
a. Previous phone/car combination was perfection (Blackberry Bold, Toyota Tacoma Pickup, w hand free bluetooth enabled option)
b. Received sound from callers and audio streamed via bluetooth to stereo are great
c. People tell me they can not hear me on the bluetooth microphone in the truck. If I go to speakerphone on the 8X it's fine. Does not matter if truck is moving or not, nor does it matter if 3G or LTE connection, nor number of bars. Simply stated, Bluetooth audio between the truck and the phone is terrible.

Have seen dozens on this forum with the same issue. I live/work in Redmond and will try to establish some kind of dialog with the Windows Phone group. I'll report back here with any progress. Thanks. Scott

oktoberrust11

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Have seen dozens on this forum with the same issue. I live/work in Redmond and will try to establish some kind of dialog with the Windows Phone group. I'll report back here with any progress. Thanks. Scott

Thanks Scott, anything you can do would be great. There was another update to the My Ford Touch system, I was hoping that would help things, but it didn't. I also just don't use Bluetooth for calls in my car anymore, only for text message reading.

rew001

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
What type of bluetooth hands free system do you have?
I have the same exact issues with my VZW HTC 8X when using it with my 2011 Jeep GC with Uconnect.
My wife also has the same phone, and experiences the same issue with outgoing call quality when using it with her 2011 Dodge Durango with Uconnect.

I'm thinking it's a software issue with Uconnect.

oktoberrust11

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What type of bluetooth hands free system do you have?
I have the same exact issues with my VZW HTC 8X when using it with my 2011 Jeep GC with Uconnect.
My wife also has the same phone, and experiences the same issue with outgoing call quality when using it with her 2011 Dodge Durango with Uconnect.

I'm thinking it's a software issue with Uconnect.

I think there's enough documented issues across various manufacturers of BT handsfree systems that points this to an HTC issue. Ford, Toyota, and now Chrylser systems all have issues with the 8X's BT call quality.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Same thing with my BT headset. I just bought a wired head set from Senheiser. I know it isn't a real solution because it is wired but it works for me and this is just another long list of reasons why HTC sucks and is losing market share.

GordonGL

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Bluetooth phone quality - HTC Win 8x with plantronics M20

I just got my first personal smart phone - a new HTC with Win 8x BUT it has bluetooth sound quality problems. When using my plantronics m20 earpiece it has terrible sound quality, like static, crackling noise. I've used this plantronics bluetooth earpiece (and other brands like motorola) for years with all kinds of cell phones (including blackberry) and all with Verizon. This is the first major problem I've ever had with bluetooth earpiece sound quality.

My brother also just got a new Verizon HTC win 8x and his bluetooth sounds SO AWFUL I asked him not to use it.

Therefore, I think it must either be a hardware problem with the HTC or software problem with Win 8x?

I MUST use my bluetooth for work and play while multitasking (driving or doing chores around in the house).

Any common agreement here?

If it can't be resolved (with hardware or software) then I'm returned this and going to try the (verzion) Apple iphone 5

PS I'm a very busy person. I was willing to try the Win 8. But If I have to go through all this rigmarole, then I will try the apple product line and then stick with it. I'm too busy to experiment with "NEW IDEAS" if they simple don't work or are undertested in order to fulill some manufacturer's sales quota. And no, I willl NOT fly the Dreamliner 787 for at least a year until all the kinks are removed - or ever, if they take it off the market after a fatal crash.

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I use the LG 730 Stereo headset with my Lumia 920 and used the LG 700 with my Samsung Focus S... Over the years I have used various playtronics, Motorola, Jabber, Jawbones but non worked as well as the LG 730 Stereo headset... I have had issues in the past with range too... One thing turns me away from certain brands is proprietary charging. The older JawBones used this magnet charger pain in the ass if I needed a charge on the go and had to go without but I think the new one uses the mini USB now... Certainly some phones or older ones had horrible Bluetooth range. I remember I always had to put my phone in an upper pocket but seems now with the Lumia 920 and my LG 730 it's not an issue anymore...

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
I disagree. My Verizon 8x has the best sounding and most reliable Bluetooth connection I have ever had. I have a new Nissan Maxima and it works flawlessly. My Note 2, SGIII and Droid DNA did not work as well as the 8x.

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to thing that this is a hardware related issue and not a software issue, unless a defect actually causes better bluetooth audio. I myself have had no problems with either my Plantronics bluetooth headset nor the bluetooth system in my car, and have actually had people tell me that I sound better when on the bluetooth then when using the phone's built in microphone.

Dwight Specht

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Just to weight in:

HTC8x bought about 2 weeks ago.
W8: 8.0.9905.12
Firmware: 1532.20.10110.605
Radio SW: 0.17.50.1025
Radio HW: 2.126.3.D4
2010 Toyota Forerunner

My Android 2 worked fine with BT on the Forerunner. My 8x has exactly the same distortion issues. Issues are intermittent. If I call and the recipient has distorted reception from me, I hang up and call again and usually get a clear call. Initial call distorts for recipient about 1/2 the time. Tried turning down handset volume but that didn't cure it, I did not however test that scientifically. Will do so now.

Any updates from HTC support from anyone?

IZICC: Thanks for starting this and the good work on tracking down the issues symptoms.

Scott Pratt

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Good morning. I have had the same issues with my Verizon HTC 8x. I have a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with Fender System (which I believe is mfd. by Panasonic). Bluetooth was perfect with my iPhone 4s in this car. The 8x was essentially unusable using the car's Bluetooth system.

After trying seemingly everything, I found the fix to be to turn the PHONE's volume down while on a Bluetooth call (this volume is separate from other volumes on the phone) - it defaults to 10/10. Once you do this, you will likely need to adjust the radio volume up to the desired level. This apparently adjusts the phone's mic volume to a suitable level. I am now very happily using my 8x with the VW's Bluetooth system.

-Scott

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes