Random Shut off and Sim card error

Rajat Singhal

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Have had my 8X on VZW for almost 2 months now. Worked perfectly fine until last week. However, recently my phone has started to shut off randomly. This happens around 2-3 times a day for the last few days. Have had lost important work calls becuase of this, so can get annoying.
Anyone else with this issue? I downloaded a recent update to the 8X for VZW last week, so wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Also, I have also been getting sim card error randomly, where my phone would loose signal randomly. Same thing, have to restart the phone to make it all right.

Let me know what you guys think...

TheMarius

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had this EXACT issue since I got my phone on release day. I'm using my fourth 8X from Verizon, as they kept replacing them when I had the reoccurring problem. But it seems to be something hardware-related. What's happening is your SIM card is losing contact with the phone's contacts. That can cause the loss of network and SIM card errors, or the phone will just reset (like it does when you fully remove the SIM card).

Call HTC, and they'll ship you out a new and improved SIM card tray for free that ensures a better contact inside the phone. Or, if you're lazy like me, pull out your SIM card and put about six pieces of scotch tape on the back side (the side without gold contacts) of the SIM card, trim the tape so there's nothing hanging over the sides, and reinsert it into the phone. It's resolved my issues for now, or like I said, contact HTC for the new SIM tray or ship it in for repairs.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The tape trick does work (there's a long thread about it), but six pieces?!? I did one piece and it solved my reboot problem.

Also, the most recent update was supposed to have fixed the SIM issue. As I mentioned in another thread, I did a factory reset after the update and took the tape off my SIM. No reboots so far, but it's only been about a week.

TheMarius

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, perhaps start with less. For me, two pieces solved the issue for about a week. But after that, it would keep popping up. Bumped up to four, and same thing. So I added another two pieces, and it's been working perfectly for the past two months. I suppose it's dependent on the individual device. I might have to see if this new update has changed anything and remove the tape myself, but for now, I'm content to just stick with what works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2